Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help, Someone? 2.4 Powerhead (supposed 200 hp)

Acts more like a 150 hp. great compression, 130+ all 6 as checked by dealer, supposed to be less than 30 hours
    A "200 H.P. power head" i was told with a 150 mid. WE get nice holeshot, but only a pathetic 73 mph on GPS. This is on a white very light Hydrostream Valero vee. Which in comparison did 76 mph with four adults with my tired 2.5 liter 200 hp that was tired at only 105-110 psi each cylinder and took forever to start.
    Two factors come to mind, the 150 Tuner? can affect my top end how much?
    And ... Reeds are wrong whether vertical vs horiz. 7 petal etc. is changing reed cage or tuner worth it, or just find a diff. motor, i am sure the BETTER REED cage is hard to find, not terribly hard to swap right? Help...Going slow and not happy, i traded a 2.4 EFI Bridgeport powerhead for this motor that has already cost me $600 when electric system was F'd when i started first time, BEWARE A.J. in Southern WI. Beloit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here is Original AD i FELL FOR>>>>>.... :-(

Up for sale is a super nice 1990 Mercury 2.4 liter 150 hp Mercury outboard motor with 20" long shaft. This motor has a rebuilt 200 hp powerhead on it, not a 150 hp powerhead. The motor is a 150 hp outboard on the outside, but is really a 200 hp outboard on inside. Powerhead was rebuilt in May of 2013 and has approximately 30 hours of run time on it since rebuild. It has perfect compression 130 psi compression on all 6 cylinders. This motor is set up for premix 50-1 ratio, oil injection has been disabled. The lower unit was brand new same summer of 2013 and is an OEM lower unit, not aftermarket junk and cost $1800 new. This motor starts right up first click of key and runs great, has tons of power!! Plus i let him keep the F'n Good Lower and he never gave me the prop promised. (SST)
    A_s Monkey he is.
    Last edited by Valero2.5; 05-31-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Previous Boats:

77' Switzer Craft 72 mph 175 hp
    86' Lazer LTV 80 mph 200 hp
    90' HST Bridgeport 97 mph 250 hp
    86' Valero YT 80+ mph 200 hp
    79' Vector 80+ mph 200 hp 85' Valero V 83+ mph/ Current 200
    88 Valero YT not so fast, no good motor
    NOW 85' Valero Vee 2.4 Bridgeport Carbs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like xr4 it will have vertical reeds a 200 wont

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will cost lots of money to make it a 200 also i am not a xr4 man ive spent lots of money on them to make them run i say save your money buy a 2.5 200 efi be happy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The adapter plate ports are smaller and the tuner will choke it up, if they just stuck a power head on there.

If there is no serial tag on motor it self you'll have to pull a head and measure a port to be sure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    The adapter plate ports are smaller and the tuner will choke it up, if they just stuck a power head on there.

If there is no serial tag on motor it self you'll have to pull a head and measure a port to be sure.

Can't i just put like a Bobs tuner in or are adapter plates harder to find? and "if i can find the right reed cage?" those two things, i need to have my dealer look at powerhead and tell me if a 200 hp what would he see to know?
    They have much experience in rigging boats back in Bridgeport days so are speed smart....i guess it might be as we say... "it is what it is" i was lied to.
    -Jim

Previous Boats:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it a vertical front half or what thats a start ????????if its a xr4 its already been tweeked at the factory for all it could do safely, kind of like a promax or xr6 there has been a uncountable number of guys who said what you just said and thousands of dollars later they find out they could have bought a 200 2.5 efi and saved money and it would run circles around what your trying to get to . yours is not a new story and im sorry u took one in te boiler room best thing is do your home work before you buy or take somebody with you who knows what he is looking at

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    is it a vertical front half or what thats a start ????????if its a xr4 its already been tweeked at the factory for all it could do safely, kind of like a promax or xr6 there has been a uncountable number of guys who said what you just said and thousands of dollars later they find out they could have bought a 200 2.5 efi and saved money and it would run circles around what your trying to get to . yours is not a new story and im sorry u took one in te boiler room best thing is do your home work before you buy or take somebody with you who knows what he is looking at

Yes, just bought a Bobs, lower from a guy today and he is very smart in hi perf Mercs and has a fresh Bridgeport on the bench, i will consult with him and see if he has parts or can build me the powerhead i need. Thanks!
    -Jim

Previous Boats:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valero2.5 View Post

Can't i just put like a Bobs tuner in or are adapter plates harder to find? and "if i can find the right reed cage?" those two things, i need to have my dealer look at powerhead and tell me if a 200 hp what would he see to know?
    They have much experience in rigging boats back in Bridgeport days so are speed smart....i guess it might be as we say... "it is what it is" i was lied to.
    -Jim
    You can throw a tuner on there and it will help a little but the adapter ate exhaust ports will still be a restriction between.

There re are ridges in them that are larger or smaller depending on the hp they came on.

200 2.5 2 peice plates are easy to find as lots of guys take them off and put one peice plates on to race with.

Put a 200 2 peice plate and a bobs tuner on it, or if you feel like jacking with the water routing put a one peice and bobs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should just stop and figure out what you really have, first.

I'm not too surprised that a 2.4L 200 wouldn't just automatically pull the same prop and set-up as even a "tired" 2.5L 200 would. Just because they are both rated to make 200 peak horsepower doesn't mean they are equal or will do the same job.

The 2.4L motor (which I also have) is kind of wimpy compared to the 2.5L motor - I would expect the 2.4L motor to be fussier about the prop and set-up; because it just doesn't have the broad torque curve (power band) that the 2.5L motors do. To get the same speed with the 2.4L motor you will have to be right on the power peak; whereas the 2.5L motor will be more forgiving even if you're running a little too much prop or the motor is a little too low.

The way it was explained to me not too long ago: "Any idiot can prop a twooo-fiiiive... but you don't have one, dummy!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David - WI View Post
    I think you should just stop and figure out what you really have, first.

The way it was explained to me not too long ago: "Any idiot can prop a twooo-fiiiive... but you don't have one, dummy!"

man thats the best advice ive read on this thread yet!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i,m doing the same building a 200 and mounting where a 150 was removed but i,m going with 200 plate and tuner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    it will cost lots of money to make it a 200 also i am not a xr4 man ive spent lots of money on them to make them run i say save your money buy a 2.5 200 efi be happy
    I HOPE your right i have a2.5 2o0 to replace my 2,4 220 mariner-mag efi. if i dont gain anything ill be seriously peed-off! its a 15'' carb pre'mix 1 pc adaptor bobs lower short square tuner cooling im not too sure about everyone has different methods has no poppit valve but prw hd does plate has 4 small drain holes down into mid can i just bolt it on? run T stats out each side?