Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Runs better with choke engaged. Suzuki Super 6 150 Having fuel issues

The boat spits and idles rough as I pull out. It then clears and wants to go and then begins to die. Then if I hit the choke it comes on pretty strong again. Then it slowly gets worse. I had to idle back to the docks. Just bought this boat and wanted to take it out today. Hope you can help.

It's a 1986 Suzuki Super 6. It had some fairly old fuel (last years) in it and I diluted that over half way with new 93 octain.

The choke on this one doesn't sound mechanical. Sounds like a solenoid up near the flywheel. Guy I bought it from said that it does "this" the first few times out and then will fix itself. Not sure about fuel issues like this fixing themselves. Perhaps it isn't even a fuel issue. But because it gets better when I hit the choke I am assuming that it is a fuel issue.

Any help appreciated to get me under way today. When I give it gas it wants to die right away. When I hit the choke it sometimes saves it for a minute.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a lean fuel condition ;I would replace the all fuel lines starting where it connects to the motor , to the accelarator pump , to the carbs . The accelarator pump diapham could be shot . Clean the carb jets too .

3. Thanks supervetteracer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah running it lean is a sure fire way to ruin it. Clean the complete fuel system and inspect all hoses inside and out for collapse and debris. I prefer to just do it all instead of taking a chance of re contaminating any work.

5. Thanks supervetteracer thanked for this post
    Likes Tiller Guy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the ad:
    I'm selling my 1980 Borum bobcat Speedboat/ Pleasure boat.

This boat is amazing and won't last long.
    I hate to sell it but we are moving to Florida and will need a bigger ocean boat.

The boat is sleek, low to the water and goes as fast as you ever want to go.
    We've had it at 65mph on GPS
    Seats 5.
    There are 2 of these boats registered in Indiana.
    Mechanically perfect.
    Outboard Suzuki 150 super 6
    It's a six cylinder with 12 spark plugs.
    Runs fantastic.
    All 4 carbs were cleaned/ rebuilt last summer.
    All controls work as they should.
    Has lights
    Bilge pump
    Life jackets
    Everything you need to hit the water fast.
    Interior is red and white and in great condition.
    I stripped the old paint off the top to original which is real faded.
    So it needs a paintjob on top areas, but any body could paint this.
    It is ready got the water.
    Trailer has good working new lights
    Brand new tires on trailer.

Painted this boat is worth 4-6 k
    I need to sell fast as I leave for Florida next Saturday.
    $2,500.00 takes it

The first serious person that sees it will buy it, it's that cool.

The boat came with three extra carbs. And it appears the fuel lines have been changed. It drives me nuts when people flat out lie to you about how something runs. Remind me to Never buy another boat without dropping it in the water first for a seatrial.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to get your nose out of joint, but you didn't buy this boat, you "stole" it! I think your problem is quite simple. I assume you are not running an electric fuel pump. If this is true, you do have a Suzuki engine fuel pump driven by "base" compression and supported by a fuel bulb. With a "helper" in the boat to assist you with this next test, have him/her pump the fuel bulb until it is hard. As you apply throttle from the idle position have the "helper" squeeze the bulb and keep squeezing it to keep it hard. If engine runs normally at this time, you have found the problem. It is probably the engine pump diaphram that has failed. Or it could be something as simple as an air lock in the tank--have you cleared the air vent? If it is an air vent problem the fuel bulb will go flat. If it is a fuel block between the fuel bulb and the tank the the bulb will go flat. The check valves in the fuel bulb could be at fault. Regardless, you have fuel starvation and that is not difficult to chase down and shold not be expensive--unless you have to go to a "professional". Are you running new fuel or what was left in the tank? Fuel may have water in it if boat was stored outside. Just hand pump some fuel into a jar to check. Have you checked the price of new engines, eg. 5 hp ? As I said, you stole this rig! If you don't know anything about 2 cycle outboards, then you are one of the "poor folks" who have to stand tall and pay the price for professional help. Get to know your engine and you will save yourself lots of "pain" $$$! Get on the computer and buy a Suzuki manual for your engine. (Stay away from the Clymers or other "cover them all" engine mags.) Hope all of this is taken as positive . I don't mean to be critical in any way. Rod
    Last edited by capnzee; 05-28-2016 at 12:33 PM.

8. Likes Steve-S, supervetteracer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supervetterracer, Didn't mean to scare everybody off this post. Did you ever find out where the problem was on your Suzuki? If you found the problem, you can help others by letting them know what it was. Interested and trying to help you. Oh, and I forgot to mention in my previous post: if your fuel line is sucking air anywhere along the way, the engine pump will pump air instead of gas. the fuel line could have a crack, the attachment (hose to engine) could be leaking (O ring) lots of possibilities. Rod
    Last edited by capnzee; 05-31-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This ain't a new boat by any means. Old fuel lines can fail, get pinholes in them, inner tube collapses, etc. If someone replaced a factory fuel fitting with a plastic after market one, that alone can starve it.

Like capnzee says, it probably isn't serious or expensive unless you try to run it that way and seize the engine.
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

11. Likes supervetteracer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capnzee View Post
    Supervetterracer, Didn't mean to scare everybody off this post. Did you ever find out where the problem was on your Suzuki? If you found the problem, you can help others by letting them know what it was. Interested and trying to help you. Oh, and I forgot to mention in my previous post: if your fuel line is sucking air anywhere along the way, the engine pump will pump air instead of gas. the fuel line could have a crack, the attachment (hose to engine) could be leaking (O ring) lots of possibilities. Rod

Thanks Rod. Have not replied yet because often my work weeks are limited. (Sucks having to do that work stuff) My plans are to clean the plugs tonight. The fuel ball stays pretty hard, it appears to be working fine. Looks like new hoses and such on the motor. May hook up a separate small fuel tank with a lot of the 2 stroke seafoam and try running it direct to see if that helps anything.

As always if and or when I fix something I try and make a post and say exactly what the solution was. I'll keep this post updated accordingly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you are on the right track. Keep up the spirit. Ball stays pretty hard?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned a suzuki dt150 super 6 and the carbs are very sensitive to fouling up from old or dirty fuel. Go through everything your self and get it right so you don't burn it up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work has me slammed. I don't have any time to deal with stuff. If someone wants to give me the 2500 for this boat it's yours. It is located in Louisville KY.