Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine cover cracks on the rear of a 2013 mercury 300xs?

I am fairly new to Scream and Fly, I just recently bought a 2015 Liberator, I am the second owner. The motor is a 2013, put into service in May of 2015. It has 34 hours on it. I found a crack on the right rear of the engine cover, there is also stress cracks on the left side of the cover (which I am sure will be a crack shortly). I took it to my local Mercury dealer to get it warrented, its under manufacturer warranty until May of 2017. They took pictures, told me it looked like a defect to them, and sent the pictures to Mercury. This boat and motor are immaculate, absolutely no signs of being hit or dropped etc. I just received a call from the dealer and they told me Mercury will NOT cover it!!!!! They would not say why, or what they think may have caused it, just no... I have not called Mercury myself -yet, but I will asap. Has anyone else dealt with this situation, I am sure mine is not the only one with this problem. Anyone from Mercury reading this? I would love to talk with you.... Thanks, Steve.
    Like I said, Im new to scream and fly, not sure this is the right area to post this? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are water suckers anyway. This is just a good reason for you to get an updated one from RGR. I am not trying to make light of it but you really do want something different that doesn't create the low pressure area behind the cowl at speed and coats your motor the way the stock XS cowls do at 90 and up.

Joe

3. Likes shadow1986 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can I find/buy one? I just tried looking it up and didn't find anything. Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 and both of the covers are cracked in the rear corner.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were they still under warranty? What did Mercury say to you? I'm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake WI Steve View Post
    I am fairly new to Scream and Fly, I just recently bought a 2015 Liberator, I am the second owner. The motor is a 2013, put into service in May of 2015. It has 34 hours on it. I found a crack on the right rear of the engine cover, there is also stress cracks on the left side of the cover (which I am sure will be a crack shortly). I took it to my local Mercury dealer to get it warrented, its under manufacturer warranty until May of 2017. They took pictures, told me it looked like a defect to them, and sent the pictures to Mercury. This boat and motor are immaculate, absolutely no signs of being hit or dropped etc. I just received a call from the dealer and they told me Mercury will NOT cover it!!!!! They would not say why, or what they think may have caused it, just no... I have not called Mercury myself -yet, but I will asap. Has anyone else dealt with this situation, I am sure mine is not the only one with this problem. Anyone from Mercury reading this? I would love to talk with you.... Thanks, Steve.
    Like I said, Im new to scream and fly, not sure this is the right area to post this? Any help would be appreciated...
    I have a 2015 that cracked at the bottom right side back of motor. Mercury denied warranty coverage. Ordered new engine cover (not cheap) and it doesn't fit. They are way to tight. I suspect mine cracked during the winter during cold temps. Dealer now back to Mercury to discuss my issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They obviously have a design problem here, and it doesn't take an engineer to see this. Please keep me informed with what happens with this go around with Mercury. I have never had to take anyone to court before, but it's starting to look like that may be my only option?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They obviously have a design problem here, and it doesn't take an engineer to see this. Please keep me informed with what happens with this go around with Mercury. I have never had to take anyone to court before, but it's starting to look like that may be my only option?
    I'm from Ontario, Canada and purchased boat and motor from Dave at Liberator boats in Texas. Sent him a mail and he is going to check with Mercury. Local dealer is working on the claim again since the new cover does not fit. He said maybe they would have to change the mid section. But based on others having the same problem that will not be a valid solution. I will post up once i hear back. By the way it took Mercury 2 weeks to sit on and then deny the claim. Not impressed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were they still under warranty? What did Mercury say to you? I'm
    Mine were out of warranty. I has to be a defect because many of them I have seen has the same crack the same place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friend had one a new under 10 hr 300xs last year and Merc warranted it.
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroski View Post
    Friend had one a new under 10 hr 300xs last year and Merc warranted it.
    Merc told my dealer it is a customer problem and that they often push down to hard on cover. That's really funny since I have never had the cover off myself and it has only been off twice both times by a Mercury mechanic. And replacement cover doesn't fit. Your friend was fortunate and I suspect because the motor was so new. Mine was 10 months old when I discovered the crack after pulling out of winter storage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the engine warranty; the XS stuff has a "limited" warranty now so Mercury makes the call on any kind of claim. I have a set in boxes that one of the plastic fittings is broke, but the cowl/pans are not damaged.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...0-XS-Cowl-Pans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed mine were tight from the factory and that the seal design was thicker on outside than the inside, so pulled the seal and reversed the direction. They weren't as tight that way.

I now have Mike Nass alien style cowls with ram air duct and love them.
    Last edited by jpf091959; 05-24-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where can I find/buy one? I just tried looking it up and didn't find anything. Thanks.
    Call Joe at DBR and see what he has available.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work for a local Ford garage as a technician, and I am just wondering how the customers that just bought a 40-50k boat/car/truck would react to finding they have a broken/cracked hood while still under warranty - when they took it in to get fixed they were told that they pushed down on it to hard, or opened it when it was cold out!!! WTF??? In one day I have found out that there is definitely a problem here, and Mercury would rather bury their heads in the sand and hope it goes away, than to man up and deal with their fu-- up! This is totally contradictory to what they told my local deal - " that they have never seen this before"!!! Please keep posting on this thread so if this ends up in court I have some backing/statistics. Thanks, Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast