Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    ............if you have a ecu with a problem (broke inside) would you think re flashing a new program over the old one it will fix whats broke i could roof my house with all the bad ecus ive had
    Agreed..

A reflash is just a new calibration. A tune up wont fix a mechanical/electrical issue.
    Too bad there is no data logging...As expensive as these ECU are one would think it would be standard.

BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand..

James
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    i think i just got the picture all you bought was the ecu from him and it fried itself now( but your stuff did it) and he wont stand behind his warranty he can reflash any 824003 ecu to a a32 curve sound like there may be a fox in the hen house hold on to yer wallet
    That pretty much sums it up. Here's the thread I posted last summer before sending the ECU to Simon. http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ucato-Or-Simon

According to the tech guy I talked to yesterday, my ECU can't be repaired as it literally burned up. He offered to send it back to me, but I'm assuming that would be at my expense (about $30), and I'm not sure what that would accomplish for me. The other option was to sell me another refurbed ECU for $1,100 with the same warning my motor would fry that one too unless I corrected the problem. I don't think I ever got a straight answer as to why it didn't fry the Mercury or Brucato units I tried after mine wouldn't fire the motor.

I did get up with my mechanic last night, and as was the case with another very well known Mercury mechanic with 30+ years of racing and wrenching under his belt, he had a hard time making that connection (no pun intended) too. I appreciate your offer to test the injectors, but he says he can and will do that too. One thing he told me that made me feel better was that he wasn't actually driving the boat when he and his helper took it to the lake to test it after replacing the ECU. He had described it as "sluggish" when he had me come after it, but when I put that Brucato on it and ran it, "sluggish" was an understatement. It would come out of the hole, then it would fall on its face as in maybe 40MPH WFO. His helper doesn't have much seat time, and my mechanic just watched and listened from the dock.

He told me my motor had great compression, really strong fire, and he was pretty much at a loss as to why it's running the way it is. Looks like he's just going to do a lot of troubleshooting starting with the injectors and just giving everything a good cleaning, tightening, and going over. He also confirmed that he installed the test ECU back on the donor motor, and it ran great. That still leaves me in need of another ECU, so I guess I'm gonna have to do some looking around. I just don't get a warm fuzzy about buying that one from Simon. Sure would be nice to see Eric (or anybody from Simon) chime in on this thread as to make us understand.
    Present Allisons: GT20/200 XRi (stringers up restoration by Jack Barsh), XST18/150XS/115 ADI clone (full composite restoration by Kevin Bryant), R13 (Larry Register splash)/850XS
    Past Allisons: SS20/ 225 Pro Max, SS20/200 Merc, XR2002 2.5 260SS Merc, XTB21/225 Merc (hull #1), R15/60 JohnRude, EP15/60 YamaMariner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read your other thread from last year.
    Loose drivers would overheat and fail.

I have "some" repair and tuning experience (again with car PCM's) and drivers are transistors..electronic relays. If they are not seated in a good heat sink, they will overheat.

I will gladly pay shipping for your burnt ECU to me. I plan to have an EFI merc (thinking 260-280) on my V-King when done, and would love to look inside and poke around. And see how these are put together.
    I can PayPal you the $ and pick it up in about a month, as I don't live far from you and am planning a trip to Chattanooga to visit a friend. Or have it shipped to me.

James

My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    Just read your other thread from last year.
    Loose drivers would overheat and fail.

I have "some" repair and tuning experience (again with car PCM's) and drivers are transistors..electronic relays. If they are not seated in a good heat sink, they will overheat.

I will gladly pay shipping for your burnt ECU to me. I plan to have an EFI merc (thinking 260-280) on my V-King when done, and would love to look inside and poke around. And see how these are put together.
    I can PayPal you the $ and pick it up in about a month, as I don't live far from you and am planning a trip to Chattanooga to visit a friend. Or have it shipped to me.

James
    I'll let you know, but after talking to another mechanic (recommended via PM through this thread from someone else who had problems with Simon), I'm going to have them send mine back. Long story short, he bet me $100 they would send me a different ECU than what I sent to them. If they do, they'll have to go to a lot of trouble as I have several pics of the one I sent. Seems he's run into a few of their rebuilt units that had major issues too and says somebody needs to sue them. His words, not mine, but I have still yet to find ANYBODY who buys into this deal that my motor somehow burned up that ECU.

Still hoping that Simon will chime in on this, and I even bumped their thread on here about their services and one year warranty. Looks like they haven't posted in a while, so who knows?
    Present Allisons: GT20/200 XRi (stringers up restoration by Jack Barsh), XST18/150XS/115 ADI clone (full composite restoration by Kevin Bryant), R13 (Larry Register splash)/850XS
    Past Allisons: SS20/ 225 Pro Max, SS20/200 Merc, XR2002 2.5 260SS Merc, XTB21/225 Merc (hull #1), R15/60 JohnRude, EP15/60 YamaMariner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update. Had another conversation with Simon about this situation a few minutes ago, and they have stepped up to the plate and given me the choice of a refund or credit toward another ECU they have in stock. That puts the ball back in my court, but I did want to commend them for giving me those options. Now I have a decision to make, and it'll be one I can live with either way. Stay tuned.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeebird View Post
    Stay tuned.
    Pun intended

Great! I hope they honor their suggested path, and return your Money.
    Still think I'd shop elsewhere..
    If they do send it back to you, my offer still stands.

James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    Pun intended

Great! I hope they honor their suggested path, and return your Money.
    Still think I'd shop elsewhere..
    If they do send it back to you, my offer still stands.

James
    You caught that, huh? Gotta get up pretty early in the afternoon to sneak something past a Tennessee boy.

Sent you a PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2