Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deck repair

I have picked up this hull which i am planning to fix up, i was wondering if anyone wants to give some ideas on the best way to repair the sunken depressions in the deck? I beleive it to be quite a light weight hull and i would like to keep it as light as reasonably possible?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!cid_5658DD25-3405-4227-9506-BE7F0309E7DD.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	411.9 KB 
ID:	343226

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those dips/recesses soft if you press on them or are they just dips that were never made nice and flat?
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe the deck was originally flat, the boat was flipped and sat on the trailer without support, and i guess this is the resulting damage.
    so originally flat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Deck may have a core and the weight of the boat crushed the core somewhat. Either way the areas will need to be filled and re coated to match. A quality filler like dura glass or some 3m vinylester marine filler would work well. Then cover with gell to match, or a good 2 part primer like duratec then repaint if painted. Pics would tell a lot if u have some.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Need pictures if possible please so we CAN SEE what you are referring to !!
    If its just an indentation its could be possible to simply push it back out again from inside the boat !!
    If the deck has a core its a simple matter of carefully grinding the inside glass layer off the core ,and pressing that part back out to where it should be and re glassing it again and if you are really careful you wont have to touch the outside paint work at all so will look like it never happened !! !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the ideas, i hope it is as easy as pushing it out! the hull is en route to my place, i wont see it until early june, i will put up some more detailed pics when i have it at home......

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmjim View Post
    thanks for the ideas, i hope it is as easy as pushing it out! the hull is en route to my place, i wont see it until early june, i will put up some more detailed pics when i have it at home......
    It will only be easy to push back up once the glass behind the panel where the hollow is, is removed and possibly even the core removed as well , that's if there is a core there !
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a sea ray that sat on a roller trailer. ....this caused indentations that couldn't be pushed out, I ended up cutting the indented parts out , laying glass from the inside, and filling with epoxy resin from the outside. After paint you'd never know it was there. I'm never a fan of filling in, it just adds unnecessary weight
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hate to be a debbie downer, but the chances of pushing that glass back out is very slim.....Worth a try I guess.....

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok guys i finally have the boat in my posession, it is rougher than i thought on the deck but it is good enough that i am happy to put the time in to repairing it.... the worst of it is the rear sections of the deck have become somewhat convex as in a large egg type bulge on each side
    So at this stage i am thinking of removing two large sections of the deck (from the 'windshield' back to the transom on each side and making new sections, and as Bodhi has suggested, cutting/repairing the depressions in the frontal area from sitting upside down on the trailer rollers.
    I would be happy to hear any thoughts/suggestions/ideas on good ways to do this???

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	397.8 KB 
ID:	345466

Name:	IMG_3168.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	345467the deck bottom side

Name:	IMG_3180.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	345470bulging deck, it's hard to get the right angle in the photo to show it properly..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your concerned about weigh, make your own using epoxy, glass beads and glass fiber. for non strength areas go strong on the beads.

12. Likes gmjim liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Amazing!!

Well that's a first for sure !! instead of using a core all over the deck they have used a industrial light weight very thin plastic panel and glassed over the top with chopped strand matt , its crude and rude and the first time ever I've seen it used on a boat !! its a wonder you haven't got a terrible glass pattern all over the deck where its been used and as for weight saving that's a joke !! next time you get near a glass supplier take that photo and show then and they could possibly have some of those plastic panels in stock . first time I saw them was back in the 1970s and they were used on the outside of glass swimming pools to stiffen the side panels !!

14. Likes gmjim liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Tunnels, its horrible that's for sure... i'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the thread Chet Olsen did when he rebuilt his Hydrostream ( http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...esto-mod/page2 ) but i am thinking of doing something very similar using Plascore honeycomb to redo the flat sections of deck, I thought i could cut out what i need to of the deck, leaving a 4" or so edge around the outer perimeter and also keeping the raised section through the front centre, and either butt joining or lap joining the core to this, (probably do the bottom skin before install and tab it in underneath?) and laying up a new skin atop that. Also i plan to replace the rear 'coaming' or cockpit sides that run from the screen to the transom, as they are two lengths of glassed ply that are easy to replace and i want to change the deck line a little..... Thoughts or suggestions MOST welcome!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Make your repair pieces off the boat by using some 1/2'' melamine board for a mold,(has formica on it). Twist and bulge the panel shape to where you want it and lay up some glass to make a repair panel. Leave it straight and flat for flat pcs. Glass in from the bottom side. You can even core it before install. Feather each side of the joint back 4-6''. Glass in with some 1708 bi ply under side and cover with matt. This way the outer surface is already smooth and ready for a finish, except where you blend it in with matt on the joint. This way you use very little filler.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

17. Likes gmjim liked this post