Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5 200 block's value

I have a early 90s 2.5 200 carb motor with one bad piston. Block is not cracked the cylinder needs to be bored and sleeved. I had a kid ask me how much I wanted for just the block, I will pull everything else off of it.. I had no idea really what it was worth... $300..$500? Should I keep it if my current powerhead blows, rebuild as a back up? Help me out here folks......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO a clean stock bore 2.5 block and matching front half that needs a sleeve is worth $200 to $300.
    Azure AZ259, 8.1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I had a hard time figuring out what to it is worth. The kid wanted it for $50 at that price I figured on just keeping it in case I needed parts of my powerhead failed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crankshaft alone if it is not scored or nicked is worth $250 -$300. I would say a good short block rebuild probably will run in the $1500 or more range. If you can afford it, keep it for a spare.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a short block blown is only worth what someone will pay first its a early model with small exhaust chest , second its got a blown hole which could be one of two things re-sleeve or bore out, bore is $50/60 hole plus hone and champher , however since i do these all the time ill spend my .02 IMHO any block thats 23 years old needs a close exam what makes us think the rest of the block does not need attention out of round occurrence is very common its .003 max out of round then bore it and this one probably needs it all bored, if piston smeared on the sleeve wall its gonna most likely need a sleeve =275.00 then new pistons and all new guts this how i build them and dont get blow ups due to loose locator pins from old pistons , i just bought a couple cranks off ebay total for both was 248 ( i do my home work) 1500.00 for a blown short block is out of my league by a lot ive purchased many blown whole motors for 1000 and less

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    a short block blown is only worth what someone will pay first its a early model with small exhaust chest , second its got a blown hole which could be one of two things re-sleeve or bore out, bore is $50/60 hole plus hone and champher , however since i do these all the time ill spend my .02 IMHO any block thats 23 years old needs a close exam what makes us think the rest of the block does not need attention out of round occurrence is very common its .003 max out of round then bore it and this one probably needs it all bored, if piston smeared on the sleeve wall its gonna most likely need a sleeve =275.00 then new pistons and all new guts this how i build them and dont get blow ups due to loose locator pins from old pistons , i just bought a couple cranks off ebay total for both was 248 ( i do my home work) 1500.00 for a blown short block is out of my league by a lot ive purchased many blown whole motors for 1000 and less
    So in your opinion what would the block be worth? I know it is worth more than $50? I do not need the money more looking to help keep down the amount of junk sitting in my garage but I hate to get ride of parts that I might need to replace at a later date. I guess I'm torn. Or spend the money to rebuild and have a spare

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive purchased several block from this site for 200/250 plus shipping a few for less and a few for more since its a small exhaust cavity its not as valuable to me as a big exhaust ramps. me i would not buy it because i have 10/12 laying in the floor now waiting to go to machine shop, what is on your rig now small exhaust or big thats what would determine if i kept it i would want a big ramp and pump it up for more ponies maybe turn it into EFI but that just me. im taking all small ramp blocks and installing a custom sleeve in them made by my machine shop guy they are real good for guys who had 150's and now have this deal . oh yeah i know about stacking up parts i ve 2500 square feet of mercury v6 parts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For just a block that needs work, I think the kid is pretty close. JMO

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"