Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rebuild powerhead ???

I have two questons.I iam thinking about taking my 98 promax 300 powerhead off and sending it to Tenkiller marine service (TMS) in cookson OK. . Has any one here heard goog or bad about them? i am kinda apprehensive to do this just becase my motor I think runs well .but i dont no. Its old and its due before something bad happens. yes or no or wright or wrong.?? A new 300 is 18 out the door. A rebuild w/ every thing i think mite be around 4.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will offer my opinions and hope I don't step on anyone's toes or leave anyone out.
    I would check around and gather some info before making a decision. I have had James Perry (Wrechin2) do machine work on my engine twice and have 0 complaints. He is one of the nicest people, and he has a skill for explaining things in a manner which is very easy to understand so you know exactly what the changes he makes will do. I think Bobby (TEXAS20225) does a lot of engine rebuilds, although I do not know exactly what services he offers. I have done business with Chris Carson and have to say it would be hard to find a more pleasant person to speak with. I have not spent money with Fuller's (yet) but I have met several of those guys and they were also very knowledgeable and extremely nice and everyone I know who has done business with them is very satisfied. I have spoken with Jay Smith on the phone and like the others mentioned, he was very nice and answered all my questions in a professional manner and tone. I have personally not heard anything bad about any of the shops I mentioned, nor any info about the shop you mentioned.

With that being said, In order to get an idea of where you're engine is health wise I would have a leak down test performed first thing. If you're leakage is high or on the high side of acceptable then I'd have it freshened up. If you have low leak percentage then it would depend ( in my opinion) on how hard you run it and how big of a boat it's pushing.

I hope that helps and again, not meaning to discredit anyone or leave anyone out I just thought I'd try to get ya some information flowing since it's rainy and severe thunderstorms here and everywhere within a 3-4 hour drive so I can't get my boat on the water and break in my new powerhead...lol

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch