Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2005 optimax 175 HP, compressor failure, how to clean air injectors?

I had a compressor run hot for lack of water coolant, this caused the rings to melt into the piston. any advice on cleaning the air passages so as to not contaminate the ridiculously pricey air injectors?
    I flushed the fuel rails with water then air, any thing else that I should do?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove rails and direct injectors and sen to Don Weed, European Marine, Greenville, SC. Metal fragments in rails and injectors can be very expensive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply Z06, So are you saying that it is not possible for me to flush the fuel rails myself?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use don weed. There are better cleaning shops. Most fuel injector service places can clean them my local fuel injection shop cleans every type of injector there is... Look local

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, you are saying that I need to get my injectors cleaned? not so much the fuel rail? I flushed the fuel rail air passage with water and then compressed air. I am not sure how much metal was released by the piston and rings, it overheated and just kinda melted the rings into the piston. I am sure that some metal fragments got out but it is not too bad I do not think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkieboat View Post
    so, you are saying that I need to get my injectors cleaned? not so much the fuel rail? I flushed the fuel rail air passage with water and then compressed air. I am not sure how much metal was released by the piston and rings, it overheated and just kinda melted the rings into the piston. I am sure that some metal fragments got out but it is not too bad I do not think.
    I just had a compressor failure on my 250 XS. Mine failed at the bearing. I don't know how much if any metal I had in my rails. I was tempted just as you are. And found a reputable company in Punta Gorda to clean my injectors. Instead, I pulled rails, injectors, and sent to Don Weed. He cleaned and I bought 3 new direct injectors that were ruined as a result of the failure. I bought the new compressor from European Marine and a couple of hoses and oetiger clamps and 2 oil filters he recommended as well. He answered any questions I had in detail. I had Palm island marine do the oil prime sequence before starting. My motor runs great and I now have about 15 hrs on it since it failed. I did not consider taking my engine to a Mercury dealer in Fl although i am sure there are many good ones. I can and would rather do the work myself. This was an expensive experience (no Waranty) that was successfully dealt with in a short period of time. I am sure there are others in the country who can guide you through this. Find someone you trust. Just remember short cuts often lead to more problems. But, it's only money.
    By the way, if there are others out there better to clean injectors than Don Weed, please name the person or company. I am sure all who read this would benefit from real experience. JMHO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZO6 View Post
    I just had a compressor failure on my 250 XS. Mine failed at the bearing. I don't know how much if any metal I had in my rails. I was tempted just as you are. And found a reputable company in Punta Gorda to clean my injectors. Instead, I pulled rails, injectors, and sent to Don Weed. He cleaned and I bought 3 new direct injectors that were ruined as a result of the failure. I bought the new compressor from European Marine and a couple of hoses and oetiger clamps and 2 oil filters he recommended as well. He answered any questions I had in detail. I had Palm island marine do the oil prime sequence before starting. My motor runs great and I now have about 15 hrs on it since it failed. I did not consider taking my engine to a Mercury dealer in Fl although i am sure there are many good ones. I can and would rather do the work myself. This was an expensive experience (no Waranty) that was successfully dealt with in a short period of time. I am sure there are others in the country who can guide you through this. Find someone you trust. Just remember short cuts often lead to more problems. But, it's only money.
    By the way, if there are others out there better to clean injectors than Don Weed, please name the person or company. I am sure all who read this would benefit from real experience. JMHO.

Hey Z60, I really appreciate your input.
    I know that there are some places that clean automobile injectors local, I will check and see if they can clean these. I hate hate hate having to take my outboard to any shop, I have never had a good experience. What oil filters? Oil Prime sequence? I never heard of that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always wondered if a filter can be installed after the compressor for when it fails.
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my engine there are 2 small inline filters on the oil lines connecting to the air compressor. When the compressor fails it is possible to get metal fragments into these filters. You don't want these clogged or metal schards passing through. I replaced mine. Don't know wether metal was present in them or not. When they are replaced the oil pump prime sequence is necessary to remove air from the oil lines and must be done by a Mercury shop unless you have a friend with the proper program on a laptop or you can put it back into breaking mode? That is .... If you don't want to replace the compressor again or worse..
    If you don't have a service manual, buy one since you say you like to work on your engine. It will help you immensely over time.
    By the way, I haven't used them but I understand Brucato in NC. Does a great job cleaning marine injectors also. No personal experience but talked on the phone. I would not hesitate to use them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I am going to check out injectorrenew.com it seems that there is no place local that does marine injectors, there is an auto injector place but the local shops do not use them, they all use this place in Wilmington NC. it is $25 per injector so that is 6 fuel and 6 air injectors. $300 plus they pay for return shipping.
    I broke one of my air injectors removing them, it was stuck like a boss. any hints on how to safely remove them? Also I found a mix match injector, one of the injectors is part number 883078A 3, this seems to be for the 01-03 models. Any idea if this will be a problem? It looks exactly like the others. The engine seemed to run fine the little I got to run it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercury makes a special tool for this. Mine were no problem coming out. Don't know if there is a cross reference injector for your motor. Your injector cleaner should tell you if it works. Problem can be too lean or too rich. Check it out before you settle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that the newer style replaces this older style. So the older style will work, they just do not make them anymore. I really appreciate all of your help.

13. Thanks ZO6 thanked for this post
    Likes ZO6 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that the newer style replaces this older style. So the older style will work, they just do not make them anymore. I really appreciate all of your help.

15. Thanks ZO6 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome. Just take time, research, move a little slow. You'll work it out.