Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury 2.4 build

First off I decided to pick up an older 2.4 200 unfortunately it was the first gen type with the head bolt holes on the liner so my project was a little delayed. A forum member that goes by rock offered to give me to send me a newer style 2.4 block along with good heads and a horizontal front half for free! So now that I have something worth putting the work into I can move forward. Where I am at right now is I would like to try and copy James Perrys build from Chattanooga fishing forums. I have the exhaust chest lightly cut and some sanding done still a lot to go along with polishing. I have one steel la sleeve w ports I need one more. I have the slag cleaned up in the rod slots and I'm about to port match the exhaust plate to the bottom of the exhaust chest. I have 5250 rods to put in it should I stick with these or switch to 8118 like T. rex did? I also have 5 petal reeds with the horizontal front. I found a power head kit on eBay that comes with vertex Pistons for 1100 has any one used this in a build like this also how many thousandths do you have to cut off your heads to get the compression up to 145 150? Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

2. Thanks King Dad thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics

More pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vertex are very good pistons , I used them many times in different outboards and never had a problem.

I would go with the small rods as the big rods will restrict some flow in the cylinders .The only advantage with the big rods is that they reduce case volume, however you could always take off .050 from the front of the block to increase case pressure.

18 ft Speedcraft - Offshore

Bottle Fed Merc tuber 2.4

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this out I'm trying to copy this one http://www.chattanoogafishingforum.c...=39864&start=1 from what james perry says this motor is pretty strong for only being a 2.4 I've yet to see any numbers on them though. Has anyone ever ran one of these on a dyno to see what kind of power they can make? I know the 2.0 tubers are up around 300 but that's a different animal all together

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have built 1 with similar mods, ran 4 mph faster and got there quicker than stock , however no dyno numbers.this is on a heavy v hull ( 1700 pounds )

One thing that I have found to make a difference combined with the above mentioned mods are ported reed cages together with WH 20 carbs and a quicker hole shot with similar top end ..cross drilled intake with Wh 22s..

Mine was based on the Cherry 2.4 project posted by T REX on BYUBOYZ.Do a search on the forum, lots of info..

18 ft Speedcraft - Offshore

Bottle Fed Merc tuber 2.4

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes on your build......anyone keeping the 2 strokes alive and out of the dumptster is A-OK in my book
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses I've read both threads numerous times. Tonight i played around on the mill setting up the heads. I have an old set heads from the original block that I used to get everything set up, tomorrow I'll cut the ones I'm going to use down to 32cc. I'm going to try an shave the front half tomorrow too. As for the boat I plan on putting this on its a 16 ft bubble deck ceebee avenger. The boat weighs about 780 stock but I'd like to get it down to 600-650. I removed all of the foam and wood in it and lost about 120 so far. I'm going to try an lighten it up by removing some material from under the deck and a little from the hull. I'm not sure if I can get what I'm looking for out of this hull though. It does have a pad on it but it's very shallow so I plan on adding 2 1/2" to it and straightening it as much as possible and gradually tapering on to it about 6ft forward from the transom. All an all if I can get 80 to 85 out of it I'd be happy. I plan on running an 8 inch set back manual jack plate with a 27 pitch srx prop. I owned this boat a few years ago and got 61 on a gps out of it with a evinrude 115 and 21 pitch prop setting flush on the transom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated unless you plan on telling me how shi**y ceebees are an that I should buy a Allison or hydrostream I'm just workin with what I got for now until I can afford an stv. I'd like to say thank you to all of the members on here for the useful knowledge and help I've been givin so far keep screamin and flyin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you have a decent start. Don't know much about the ceebee but if it's what ya got, give er hell ands have a ball learning and doing. Probably won't be your last boat so get out of it what you can. Post a pic.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boat

Avenger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked those Avenger boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock always helping someone out. You are the best.

13. Thanks rock thanked for this post