Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope things go great for ya. Enjoy
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I gotta add a few comments here...

Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    Just got my quote today on insulating the walls and ceilings and all I can say is...yikes
    Last winter I was still feeling my Fla. blood and didn't spend much time out there.

Do right and its over with. Glad I spent the time my stick frame insulating, rocking, more outlets than I thought needed, and sill could use more! And never enough lights. Or benches and shelves. And search thoroughly a good heat source. I'm fine with a wood stove (its cheap out here, wood), as it heats fast the shop even it don't get that cold here overnight. Gotta love a good DRY heat, moisture control. Its a lotta fun building your own shop! Just think/plan it out first!

Glass, paint, rigging, floors, transoms, trailers, upholstery, repowers, etc, etc.
    Really don't want to do motor work as that's what I did to survive in Fla and it totally ruined a hobby I truly loved.
    I know where ya coming from here. Its all I did for a living, and there's no real satisfaction it as mostly R+R stuff unless its building motors, and that gets old if not your project. Not quite so much in my case as a Machinist, as at least got the satisfaction of taking a chuck metal and making something out of it that worked. On the others mentioned? Well, thats more of getting to use you skill, brains, creativity, and in the final outcome gives you a sense of accomplishment, and satisfaction! Wish the best, as still got a soft spot for Cincy as my gearhead dad and uncle came from there a LONG time ago! Robby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck gary, glad to see you are back at it!
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This per Robbies request.

My barn becomes a shop.

Replacing 3 of the 4 16' wide doors to 12' wide x 12'6" tall car (roll up) doors. To do it I had to frame up 4' petitions to close up the openings in preparation of the doors and my insulation and paneling.

Thought it would be an easy, one day job.
    But just like boat projects...., it was not. One freagin day per petition!!
    Problems were, nothing is straight, level or square. Then getting accurate measurements for the height (by myself) 12' 6" openings posed a challenge and once built (12'6" tall 2 x 10's) they were heavy enough I could barely stand them let alone drop them to trim to size.
    I built the first petition to actual sizes measured then spent the rest of the day trying to knock it intolace w/a 2 lb hammer!

The next one I reduced the height by a 1/4" and ended up w/a gap on top!

So being the smart guy that I am, I split the difference and reduced the next one by an 1/8" of an inch.
    Then spent a couple hrs getting it close w/my 2 lb hammer and destroying several 4 x 4 blocks to protect my wall.
    Got it within an 1 1/2" before it stopped moving.

Got creative at that point then took a break and had some fun to get rid of my angst

Enjoy....

Yes it was cold and to my southern brothers, those are Carhart coveralls on my tool box..
    Last edited by Instigator; 11-15-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some friends came over to listen to me bitch, go through a couple hundred $$ of ammo, have the bon fire from hell, watch my 2 yr old chocolate lab jump off a 12' cliff into the river bellow to fetch sticks, and prove to them that my electric golf cart would haul four fat drunk (after shooting) people up the steep hills on out property.
    Last edited by Instigator; 11-15-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really like this shot from the day we took possession of our new place.

My wife told the barn came w/a really nice house but I have no recollection of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barn.jpg  

7. Likes wanagofass liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HA! Love the pix as I had a lotta "been there, done that" moments too! Shop was square as new stick frame, but it was offset from the house and just a covered porch there. NOTHING was square when I built the walls and roof to connect to two. "Measure twice, cut once" simple don't work sometimes! Looking good on progress though and it aint gonna happen overnight! But can't beat a bonfire, bullets and beer!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great shop mine would fit through the doors and not even take up a corner. I have a car port on the back of the house and no way to get back there so I spend 4 days taking down 62 pencil pom trees 20 ft high filled a 30 yard dumpster still got root balls 3x3x3. After that there was a block wall my old arse is sore I couldn't tie my shoes have to roll out of bed and grab to stand. With a prostate the size of a soft ball it gets fun at night need an empty jug. Gary I may need some advise on this 140 it's a 1980 140 evinrude. Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delawarerick View Post
    That's a great shop mine would fit through the doors and not even take up a corner. I have a car port on the back of the house and no way to get back there so I spend 4 days taking down 62 pencil pom trees 20 ft high filled a 30 yard dumpster still got root balls 3x3x3. After that there was a block wall my old arse is sore I couldn't tie my shoes have to roll out of bed and grab to stand. With a prostate the size of a soft ball it gets fun at night need an empty jug. Gary I may need some advise on this 140 it's a 1980 140 evinrude. Rick
    Rick! My problem is that "nightstand jug" when getting older, and me and my knocking down too many beers daily..(fuc apples, a 12 pack a day keeps the doctor away ). But I had to keep waking up the sleeping mutt to hit the can. I didn't like when the new square "big mouth" milk jugs came out at first, but now its a simple "roll out, cap off, exhaust now "filtered" water"! But thinking now a new "idea"? Put a big potted tall plant (plastic be OK too) in the corner, put a drain hose out the bottom and drill a hole in the wall outside"? Why not as ya know how many bushes I "water outside? Whats the diff? Plus self draining and no "Miracle Grow needed" HA!

And ya young bucks? Laugh all ya want, but with "age".."coming to a house REAL close you"! But ya know what I like about S+F you "kids"? . 99% are real people, humble, honest, never brag, "I have the biggest/fastest/mines bigger and faster than you attitude", and we all "have problems in life" And fun to share "lifes problems" as we all "learn something". (Or teach it)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the shop all day watching the last of seasons racing F1 morning Brazil. Then the getting funny rain delay Smashcar Phoenix. 5 hours now and still "no go" but waiting finals NHRA Pomona starts here one hour. Ant took TF, Erica Prostock, but F/C as bikes still will have to go 4 rounds to see "who gets it".
    But on this pic Gary? Ya should have tried a long 2x4 under a car jack and jack up the top support "till slipped in" But still gotta love the truck and chain.."if this don't work, it bullets, bonfire and beer"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barn to shop (5).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	403.0 KB 
ID:	331646

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, have any insulation in yet? My 24 x 30 needs insulation but not sure what to use or how thick is needed? Main metal frame is on 5ft centers.
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroski View Post
    Gary, have any insulation in yet? My 24 x 30 needs insulation but not sure what to use or how thick is needed? Main metal frame is on 5ft centers.
    5 foot is a problem. If not wood stud walls, (12/16 OC), fine "pink" blanket and sheet rock over. That maybe needs "spray in foam" first. 2 inch be fine. but a friend here has a new 36 by 50 "barn" But came with installed plastic blanket covered insulation. But what ceiling? Thats the ticket. I got Truss, and above is 8 inch pink, and rocked. It don't that cold here winter (40's) but gotta think those cold temps back there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroski View Post
    Had a similar problem with my 30x40 pole building. I partition the walls like studs and used R13 after I seen the price of foam board insulation.

Gary I didn't know you built a range too! I'll be down with my hnd guns and my tool belt, lol
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

Scream & Fly Flying Machine of the Month:
    September 2005

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ild&highlight=

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    5 foot is a problem. If not wood stud walls, (12/16 OC), fine "pink" blanket and sheet rock over. That maybe needs "spray in foam" first. 2 inch be fine. but a friend here has a new 36 by 50 "barn" But came with installed plastic blanket covered insulation. But what ceiling? Thats the ticket. I got Truss, and above is 8 inch pink, and rocked. It don't that cold here winter (40's) but gotta think those cold temps back there.
    I build custom homes that are "Beyond Energy Star" rated and Rob is correct.....Start with at least 2" SPRAYED foam. It seals everything tight (after all the mechanics are installed) and will pay for itself in a couple of yrs. I just built a 3200 sqft home with 57 windows and glass doors that cooled at 74 deg in August with the total elect bill @ $143.00 for the month. The proof is in the energy #s. R25 walls and R35 ceilings with hybrid heating and cooling system. Just add solar panels and live close to energy free!! Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MODVP22 View Post
    Gary I didn't know you built a range too! I'll be down with my hnd guns and my tool belt, lol
    Come on down!

We thought we were done until I stumbled on the extra gourdes Cheryl got for Halloween decoration They blow up good !

Ski, on the insulation, I looked at the foam and saw it to be expensive (as Tommy said) and inefficient as far as R value.
    I am having 6" rolls of R-19, 4' wide rolled in-between the 6" x 6" posts w/plastic vapor barrier over it. They are running 2 x 4's horizontally (as furring strips) to attach the 7/16" OSB plywood too.

Am also looking at heat sources but probably do nothing ($$$) until next yr. Been watching youtube videos on building recycled engine oil furnaces and love the concept.
    I also like the $50. kits to turn to 55 gallon drums into a wood burning heater. Even though my property has an indefinite supply of wood, I heated a house w/wood for 13 yrs and I cut/split all my own wood.
    Not excited about the time/PIA of either option.

Enter into that discussion, a buddy calling and offering me a free propane furnace being removed from a warehouse. Can either convert it to engine oil or have a propane tank (my house is propane) set. I pay the bill bills but, no fuss no muss.
    Last edited by Instigator; 11-16-2015 at 07:02 AM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast