Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I told the seller.... I told him it would cost me 10k to make an 8k boat w/o power. It's good advice, I know it is, but I get excited over projects...somewhere in the middle I usually start to feel like I shouldn't have gotten into it. I'm currently in the middle finishing my 2 story dormer, I guess I see the end in sight and I'm starting to line up a project for next year haha. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be getting a gutted viper soon so that will be enough to steer me away from the 24. I never had plans of this boat being a full on "perfect" restore. I wanted to put the transom in, get a decent used motor and clean it up and use it. I wasn't going race it, abuse it, etc. I wasn't concerned with getting it over 65-70mph I just wanted a deep hull that could handle the LI sound without getting the sh!t kicked out of me. I kick myself for not buying one a few years back - the guy was in NY and had the price down to $6700 I think. I didn't have the money at the time. Timing is everything, If I could sell my stuff and get a good deal on a turnkey setup I would do it.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 1500 Mercury I6
    1985 21' Hustler - 2.4 200 Merc
    1990 18' ArrowGlass CC 140 Johnson -SOLD
    1987 21' Seebold Eagle 150 Merc
    1990 15' Hydrostream Viper 150 Merc - SOLD
    1977 16' Checkmate Trimate II 140 Johnson - SOLD
    1969 13' Boston Whaler 40hp Merc - SOLD

Drive it like you stole it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest the interior would be the hardest expense for me swallow...because I cant do it myself. Everything else was going to be budget used stuff.
    I figured:

No more than $1000 for transom and materials to finish. The stringers were totally solid at the rear of the boat (they could be mush up front) but it actually seemed like the wood used was a "hardwood" like oak or something, it was literally like a rock (and dry) at the back where they hit the transom...
    $3500-$4500 for a healthy older 3.0 Merc and if not a cheap 2.4 or 2.5 would suffice in the interim.
    $3000 for bolsters and bench. I could just rough it with no bench, I see used interior and bolsters all the time cheap by me on CL.
    $1000-$2000 for odds and ends including anything the trailer needs.

The hull would clean up and look good with wet sanding and a wheel and I can do paint work myself. There was no bottom paint, it seemed like it was soda blasted which was a plus - I didn't see blistering or anything like that. I appreciate the "RUN" posts because they are helping me stay away but I know I can do a budget build up. Rehabs and restores never make money but I've bought things and paid decent money thinking they were solid...only to find a mess when I ripped into them. So at least I would know up front "sort of" what I'm in for. The gutting is done ready to (hack but done).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't touch it. Your in the superboat Capitol of the world. Clean 24 come cheap. Wait for the right one. You can find one cheap. Be patient. I have a lot of contacts in lindenhurst. Pm me. I'll find one. My guess is 4-5k will get u in one that's not a complete basket case. I find steals almost weekly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine just bought a 24 cc turn key w a strong 3 liter for around 10. And it's clean. Keep at it. Don't make a impulse buy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'm noticing a trend here - you may have just swayed me to stay away. I'm in no rush to buy... but end of season seems to be when people are selling cheaper so that's why I was looking. Maybe my best bet is to buy next season and sell my stuff in the prime season too. The thought of actually buying something that works and looks good already is foreign to me lol. I could do 5-6k max- its just that I never see anything under 10-12k on Craigslist or worse yet Ebay. Generally the boats listed on this site are out of my league.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy just texted me he'd take the $500. I told him to text me what is included in the deal because I have a bad feeling he stripped the hydraulic steering which was the only thing making this worth anything to me. I know he said he was going to remove the trim tab pumps which was already bs. I want to see if he'll include the tabs and pumps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey im the guys friend who listed it,, lot of valid points but for 500 bucks and your handy you can have a cool boat not saying doing a 20k resto, ..but find parts on ebay or craigslist and you can have a nice boat for cheap and yes transom can be replaced .. its not ideal guy cut outer skin but defineately repairable.. good luck whatever you decide..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a nice 225 merc 3.0 liter for sale if you buy it...
    1984 28 ghost twin 200 Yamah ProVs (SOLD)
    1997 21 Superboat Legend 250 VMAXXX (SOLD)
    2001 25 Concept CC 250EFI (SOLD)
    2002 24 Superboat Step 250EFI (SOLD)
    1997 21 Checkmate Pulsare 200EFI Merc (Beater Boat)(SOLD)
    1994 20 Hydrasport 225 Optimax (SOLD)
    1998 27 progression Twin 225 Mercs (SOLD)
    2005 23 Kryptonite 300 Promax (SOLD)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedman79 View Post
    The guy just texted me he'd take the $500. I told him to text me what is included in the deal because I have a bad feeling he stripped the hydraulic steering which was the only thing making this worth anything to me. I know he said he was going to remove the trim tab pumps which was already bs. I want to see if he'll include the tabs and pumps.
    Sounds as though you are actually considering it. Which reminds me of an old bible verse... " A fool and his money, are soon parted".
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 10-07-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how guys that throw thousands into hydrostreams say a 24 offshore hull is worthless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quicklt1 View Post
    I love how guys that throw thousands into hydrostreams say a 24 offshore hull is worthless
    It's just the point to bring it back to the point where it's decent your looking at 7500 minimum. Plus the 1500 you would pay for it your looking at 9k. For 9 k you can get a nice one. And that 7500 into can turn into 10-12 very easy. Unless you can do all the work by yourself it does not make sense monitarily. That being said if you can do all the work yourself and get it for 500 it could make sense, but how much is your time worth to you??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitthestix View Post
    ...but how much is your time worth to you??
    ...And there's the rub. You have to put a value on your time. Getting the boat up to snuff & installing twins gets you into a whole nother price point. Your not at 15-20 thousand any more. Once again, buy what you can, thats turn-key, after saving up a bit.

13. Likes delawarerick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look into buying a tan P&D in the late 80s. Owner wanted $12K for it which for it's condition was out of line. It was a big block boat with TRS and some real generous size K planes. From what I learned later the TRS equipped hulls were a more favorable layup than smallblock Alpha hulls.
    But the salt had eaten through the block, there was a small hole punched through the fiberglass port side midway along the hull. And an assortment of other issues, neglect related mostly.
    I was offering $3500 which I considered fair, no interest from the owner. Winter came and went and I was at the marina early in season and found the boat gone. When I went inside to ask I was told the owner took $3K for it. Less than I was offering, Still eats at me and I still would love to get one.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey quick,

I figured one of you would see this post lol. If you've read through the thread you can see the points made - I tend to see potential when I look at it and I've been trying to decide if I'm crazy to think i can get this done for less than buying one that is already rigged and with power... The overwhelming response seems to be "yes you're crazy", and yet I'm still interested. The seller hasn't responded to me since yesterday when I asked what is included..do you know if he stripped the steering, gauges, trim pumps, and batteries (these were in the boat when I looked at it)? At that point it just would not be worth it to me. I also realized the ad said no papers for trailer - I thought it did have papers at first. It's very rough not adjusted to the boat, lights I think are broken/missing, and the tires were flat. I had asked him if it would be ready to connect and go (I have no idea if he expected me fix all that upon showing up to pick it up). My tmobile service is horrible so I have no idea if getting my texts. I want to go down, look at it again (not with dress pants and a collared shirt on - haha) with him there and just see if this too much work for me to justify. There were little things that bothered me about the way its sitting, leaning and pitched forward, not even a tarp over it since the canvas is gone. I was trying to determine what I had to work with...so when I see that the cabin door is wide-open letting the interior cushions get rain soaked and the seat foam is getting wet it just made me cringe. If I walked up to the same boat in the same shape but it was tilted back to drain properly, covered and dry, and the bow eye wasn't ripping thru the hull I prob would have made a better offer. It just looked abandoned with no effort to protect anything left of it... I'm also taking a huge leap of faith that the fuel tank is good. You can see from my posts that I started the thread just to help me make a decision, to bash anyone or the boat. I'll call him when I'm not at work rather than all the texting.
    @Ghost28 - do you mind quoting your ask price for that motor in the open forum?

Thanks guys,
    -Tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...And there's the rub. You have to put a value on your time. Getting the boat up to snuff & installing twins gets you into a whole nother price point. Your not at 15-20 thousand any more. Once again, buy what you can, thats turn-key, after saving up a bit.
    Who said twins? That's deff a different price point. And twins on that boat is a handful, not much more speed and double the gas and oil. I'd go with a single 3.0 merc. 250. Boat w run 65 and handle like a champ. Those boats are not made to go that fast. You need some serious power to get one to go any faster than 70-75

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast