Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16'6" Checkmate Enticer prop question.

I have a Checkmate Enticer with a fresh 2.4 200 with CCM reeds and a little extra compression. With the 24 Powertech 4 blade that came with the motor. I am running 70 GPS at 6100 R.P.M. I have a hydraulic jackplate and the propshaft is 1" below the pad. The boat drives great but I feel like there is more in it. What prop would you try? I already posted on the Checkmate site and was told to try a 26 Laser II. Thoughts? Thanks, Scott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the exact same boat with a 150 v6 and the Laser II was the best running prop out of the 10 or so I tried. I think that combo like the Laser for some reason.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you never test this setup with the 26 laser ? I have a 21 seebold with a 150 that I bought a 26 laser for. I'm hoping that the reduced diameter and smaller blades than my 24 chopper help the motor to swing that high of a pitch. I won't be testing that till around May.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 1500 Mercury I6
    1985 21' Hustler - 2.4 200 Merc
    1990 18' ArrowGlass CC 140 Johnson -SOLD
    1987 21' Seebold Eagle 150 Merc
    1990 15' Hydrostream Viper 150 Merc - SOLD
    1977 16' Checkmate Trimate II 140 Johnson - SOLD
    1969 13' Boston Whaler 40hp Merc - SOLD

Drive it like you stole it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I bought one off of eBay and ran it for 15 minutes. It blows out constantly, even when on plane. Motor is probably too high. It's on a hydraulic jack plate and I could have played with it more but it was so much worse than my Power tech 4 blade that I just wanted it off of there so I could enjoy the day. Gonna try a chopper next. 26 or 28 depends on which one I find a deal on first. Looking into a nose cone and need to make a torque tab for the skeg. Reimburse me for the shipping and you can try this one or I'll make you a good deal on it. PVS holes were plugged.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind, just reread and see you already have one.
    Last edited by FoFittyFoSS; 02-13-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also found the Laser didn't work at high engine heights. You might not need much lift with a 200 on a 16' boat. Maybe try an ET or a small ear chopper. The latter are cheap, but not common anymore.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 17ft Panther vmate with a 2.4 200. It was stock and the motor was bolted fairly low to the transom. I ran a 26 laser II, a 28 yamaha drag and a 25 Mirage. At low engine height all of these props ran about 70mph. The Laser accelerated well, but actually the Mirage ran best and was easiest to drive. I tried a 26 chopper once, but that was a nightmare with the motor buried.

Seebold guy, I had a Seebold Eagle with a 150 Merc as well. I had 6" of setback. It ran best with a 28 chopper for me. The laser II would not carry the bow very well. It was a pretty heavy boat for a 150. Best speed of 66mph in chop, 60mph on calm water

Dave.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is the 26 laser for the 4 3/4 v-6 gearcase? the 26 laser is too small dia., and the blades are also too small from the leading to trailing edge. I have a 115 inline and it too slips at a high engine height.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 1985 16.6 Enticer that I bought brand new. Started with (all mercs), an used inline 150 hp, then a used v-6 150 hp. Finally a brand new v-6 1989 2.4 200 hp. What I will be telling you below is details from a lot of trial and error. I will leave out the early info and just get to where I ended.

It is also not for the faint of heart. Get yourself a good life jacket, a helmut, at least have dual control steering that does not have any play in it, and don't try to run hard without someone nearby in a rescue boat. And don't try it in any water more than a light chop. The Enticer was not intended for what I did to it.

When I bought the new 200, the lower went straight to Bob's for a low water pick up. Because I beached the boat a lot, I had Bob's install the pick up holes above the point, (fishing style it was called back then). I installed the motor on a 10 inch manual jack plate, with the shaft about a 1/2 inch below the pad, which was as high as I could go with this water pick up. I also had to install a torque tab after the fact, but would recommend having a tab built in.

After trying dozens of props, this setup ran best with a worked and very thin small ear 26 p chopper, although it needed to be inspected regularly for cracks, and had several repaired. After becoming scared of slinging a blade, I finally settled on a stock small ear 26 p chopper with the fish line cutters removed.

No GPS in those days, but I ran it to 6500 rpm and I would estimate 80 mph. Having since owned a Triad v-21 and a STV with GPS, I feel pretty confident of that speed estimation. There were only a couple of boats that would outrun it on Clark Hill lake, and Billy was of course one of them. Back in those days Billy was running an STV and had been clocked by police radar off the Keg Creek bridge well into the hundreds.

This set up would also pull a deep water start barefoot skier, if I put the big beer cooler and a couple of girls in the bow seats. The boat was a lot of fun for every type of boating back then. It made the river trip from Augusta to Savannah several times with over 50 gallons of fuel, lots of beer and food, and my guitar stored under the little bow area. When I started boating on Lake Murray I needed a bigger boat, so I gave the Enticer to my son and he ran it with an inline '73 150 hp until the floor rotted out.

Again, Please be safe if you try to run the Enticer hard and fast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the laser II 26 really measures of to a 25".