User Tag List

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    Looking good! Your almost there..no project goes without some kind of glitch.

Going from 25:1 to 50:1 will richen up the A/F ratio a small amount, as the added oil displaces a small amount of fuel.

Also just something to think about solid mounts for your motor...If you don't need them, I wouldn't use them. In the boats I've had where I needed the steering stability/control and used them, things tend to vibrate loose. Requiring attention now and then, and using something on screws to keep them from unscrewing. I used a dab of 5200 on my stuff. Not a big deal, just a heads up.

That boat you got there really turned out great!! A real head turner.. Great Job Done Very Well

James
    Thank you very much! Last few times I've had it out, people have asked how old it is... i say 1995 and they all get a dissapointed look lol. They must think it's an old bomber from the 50's haha.

Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    W2F a V-King ,
    Great avatar, did that once or twice.
    Everytime I pull a spark plug out, no matter how many welding gloves I have on, or how many layers of rubber my pliers have, this damn ignition zaps me hahaha. (only done it twice). I've learned it's easier to diagnose the lack of ignition by just covering the carb intake to see if it bogs that cylinder. That's the 1 nice thing of individual carbs per cylinder.

GOOD NEWS - bad news...
    Ran GREAT today... for an hour.
    No dogs or GF in the boat - Trimmed out, Hit 6500 / 6600 rpm, and still only saw 45mph (19p prop) Motor is bottomed out down on the jack plate - Didn't jack it today, cuz i again lost ignition on #3 bottom cylinder. Swapped it out on the pond with another known good one - and still no spark. UGH !
    19p, 6500rpm, 2.31 gearing, 45mph - 11% slip.... Needs more compression, and bigger prop.

Back to the drawing board.
    My next steps -
    1- find why no spark in #3. (coil or switch box).
    2- Ground each coil to the block on it's own circuit (currently shared on 1 bolt).
    3- Siphon 25:1 87 octane out, and replace with 93, 50:1.
    4- Order some material to machine my own solid upper mount - It's very shaky. Alot of ass end movement trimmed out @ 45mph (even with hydraulic steering)
    5- Pull the head and shave it down some more - Input on how much ? maybe 0.05"? or another tenth 0.10" ?
    6- jack the motor, get the sneezing to stop, prob drill out my idle jets a tad (see how the fuel change goes)...
    7- HOPE to run like a raped ape in a 1950's looking vessel ! ! !
    Last edited by home made tunnel; 05-25-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Keep at it, its will get figured out and can't give up now anyway!

On electricity? Nice to have (I've never seen it by the way) but my dad was a wiz as 50's Radio and TV repairman, also a excellent "wrench" boat/car freak as body and fender man. As a kid with a cobbled up mini bike I built lawnmower engine. Got it to run, but "how to shut off" now? So ask dad and sticks a screw driver in and ground out the plug. Says me "Ya think ya now everything and ya can't figure that out? "
    Then said "ya really don't need a screwdriver, just grab the top spark plug an it will stop"

Damn near knocked my kid ass on the ground! Old man said me.."You might know what think everything, and I just gave ya more knowledge" He was a brilliant man thats let you learn for yerself..(smart ass me, last of 3 kids him and mom and pretty wise on "damn kids" by now but we all have done well in life., thanks to a great mom and dad and RIP both ya, and thanks)). So later in HS, got a D- Electric shop, but a A+ in Auto/Machine shops.

I can build a motor blindfolded, drunk, asleep, one arm tied to my back but that "electric crap"? Only thing I know is finding that "smoke in the wire"

One more tidbit "that elusive never seen spark thingy"? (Its there always hiding somewhere anyway) had a old "Instamatic" camera. It quit rolling the next frame film in but still had flash. Went to work with it and did "smile, your on candid camera"' Of course just a blinding flash! So I dissect the cam to check the "innards" and I got a DAMN GOOD LESSON "a capacitor"! Did a stupid "whats this for" and it was charged up and grabbed out by both ends right arm.

DAMN! . Right arm went numb fast, and useless 5 minutes! Think "Tazered"

3. Likes home made tunnel, W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://video-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...bc&oe=57469AC1

This proves it....their is a fix for stupid.

No Offense intended.....I have been bitten a time or two myself.

Karsten

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluorescent shop ceiling lights!!!! Unplug one, and don't touch the plug!!! There's capacities in them too hahaha. Gave myself a doozie this past winter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    https://video-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...bc&oe=57469AC1

This proves it....their is a fix for stupid.

No Offense intended.....I have been bitten a time or two myself.

Karsten
    Excellent! HA! Should have tried a 9 volt the tongue test first! "Maybe I should not try this tazer"?
    Last edited by Robby321; 05-25-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	391.6 KB 
ID:	344518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	419.9 KB 
ID:	344517

The 1 piece mount on the left is the one I'm going to look into making solid out of a block of aluminum.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it was just a fouled spark plug. What the hell causes this?!?! Cleaned it off, put it back in, and it runs fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That burn pattern is good, mine look the same only not fouled and after way more hrs. Too rich, too much oil, intermittent or weak spark, more compression will help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by home made tunnel View Post
    So it was just a fouled spark plug. What the hell causes this?!?! Cleaned it off, put it back in, and it runs fine.
    That sure is a lot of carbon , especially in the few hours you have in run time, even at double oil for break in. Do the other 2 cylinders have the same build up?
    Do you have a bore scope to take a good look at the piston tops?
    Guess that won't be necessary if your going to pull the head to shave it some..

James
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That there is your typical 1970's Lawnboy mix stuffed in the wrong tank, we hope? Seriously are the other two that thick?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other 2 plugs were spotless ! ! ! Bizarro strikes again. I swear this engine keeps throwing gremlins at me lmao.
    Picked up 3 more plugs @ the parts store - Now I carry 3 extra coils, and 3 extra plugs when I go out...just in case haha.

The 2-stroke oil I used was the typical West-Marine Mercury stuff. $27 a gallon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those plug wires are they copper core/ steel wire or mag core. I have seen both for that coil . If copper check for end to end continuity and resistance for the lenght of the mag core. From the factory they usually put a very small tie at the coil end and sometimes bonded the end into the coil . Tough to get out without damaging the wire if bonded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for grins and not spending more $$, swap that coil and wire to another cylinder.....see if the concern follows that coil, ruling out.. or not that coil/wire assembly.
    If compression is good in that hole, similar to the other two, then maybe do a leak down test. Actually a leak down test (imho) is a better indicator of cylinder health than a stand alone compression, as compression values can vary from one gauge to the next.

You should have enough time on those rings for them to have seated as well as they can. They seat pretty quick.

Something is coking up that cylinder.

James

Quote Originally Posted by home made tunnel View Post
    The other 2 plugs were spotless ! ! ! Bizarro strikes again. I swear this engine keeps throwing gremlins at me lmao.
    Picked up 3 more plugs @ the parts store - Now I carry 3 extra coils, and 3 extra plugs when I go out...just in case haha.

The 2-stroke oil I used was the typical West-Marine Mercury stuff. $27 a gallon.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leak down, horror of horrors. 10hrs on fresh cylinders. For your sake Tunnel I hope it's a plug wire.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I ever say that much carbon was on a jet ski that had some cooling lines reversed and the motor was not coming up to temperature. Does your motor use the deflectors under the head to control cylinder temp?

Ralph Musser
    27' Fountain Fever W/ 525SC
    22' Rapid Craft W/ Evinrude 300 V8 January 2009 BOAT OF THE MONTH SOLD
    24' Triton 240 Gold W/ Mercury 60
    14' Royalcraft W/ Evinrude 75 father/daughter project

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast