Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Greg,

Since you aren't from around the Miami area, 1960's era, you shouldn't be making assumptions that something had to be built by the rules, and documented as such. We had so many boat companies popping and building, for race boats, drug boats, CIA boats, etc. Since Aronow owned Donzi from the get go, and he liked to fill his trunk with Bennies, no telling how many he built and when. If a boat was brought to market, usually at a big boat show, it had been well tested. Usually a boat that small may have had a couple test hulls made. In Aronow's book is a picture of Brownie and Skip Carrol running in the 64 Miami-Key West race in a 19' Hornet. That means they were probably first built in late 63 early 64. The race was on Nov 6, 1964. There were five Donzi prototypes running. The Hornet was one of them.
    My point being you can't look at a boat and tell when it was built.
    IMO there is zero chance that any 19' Hornet was laid up in late 1963 or early 1964. Donzi did not exist in early 1964. The Hornet 19' was an original design that was done about the time of the sale of Formula to Thunderbird. Waltman Walters can attest to that. The "#69 Hornet 19" boat that Alan Brown and Skip Carrol ran in the November 6, 1964 Miami-to-Key West race was the first 19 that was laid up. Could I be wrong? Yes, I was not born yet. BUT ask Alan "Brownie" Brown and I believe he will say I am right. The other 4 hulls that ran in that race were 28's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't take it any longer... The original posters raceboat in question, was owned by an old family friend that had simular interests/investments in waterfront homes, both in the great white north and southeast Florida, the marina business, and collecting antique wood boats, as my family. He had many real estate income properties in the Ft. Lauderdale area. He started the Clayton New York Antique Boat Museum in the 60's, as well as the Antique Boat Show there as well. He had a summer home there, on Grindstone Island. He was instrumental in starting & promoting for years, the very first Ft. Lauderdale Boat Shows. He was the Mayor of Ft. Lauderdale & was on the Lauderdale City Commission for two decades. And on & on. He was an initial investor in a new marina on west Lauderdales State Road 84 on the New River, that was "seven" miles to the ocean and open "seven" days a week, that was specifically designed for outboarders only, and that had 64 boat slips and a ramp. He was one of only two Formula/Donzi dealers in 1965 in South Florida, the other being Challenger Marine on Biscayne Blvd, in North Miami. He past away in 2013, one year after his wife, at age 95. His name was Bob Cox...and he also started(and his family still owns & operates) Lauderdale Marina, in 1948. Bob and his Marina General Manager, Ed Joyce raced in a number of Offshore races in 1965. In 1965 alone, they entered and won...the St. Petersburg 50 Mile Ocean Race, The Pelican Harbour 100 mile GulfStream Regatta, the Orange Bowl Regatta, and the Sam Griffith Memorial. They also raced, and placed third, in the Miami-Nassau race. The boat was a 1965 19 Donzi Hornet outboard with twin Johnson Super Sea-Horse V-4 75's.

3. Thanks lilabner thanked for this post
    Likes lilabner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    IMO there is zero chance that any 19' Hornet was laid up in late 1963 or early 1964. Donzi did not exist in early 1964. The Hornet 19' was an original design that was done about the time of the sale of Formula to Thunderbird. Waltman Walters can attest to that. The "#69 Hornet 19" boat that Alan Brown and Skip Carrol ran in the November 6, 1964 Miami-to-Key West race was the first 19 that was laid up. Could I be wrong? Yes, I was not born yet. BUT ask Alan "Brownie" Brown and I believe he will say I am right. The other 4 hulls that ran in that race were 28's.
    i guess you have it all figured out..Who is it? And are they actually racing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Rich, I believe you are right

Researching the '66 issue of 'Boating', I found this---lots of familiar names in the 1965 Miami/KW race--- including Knocky driving an 18' Crosby with 2 90 Johnrudes----??

Norris(Knocky) House & his wife Val(Valerie) were(and Val still is)my neighbors for many, many years. They owned/operated Knocky's Boats & Knocky's Propeller Service, in Hollywood, Florida. Can't tell you how many years I followed them out of the neigborhood at 6:30 am, to head for the highway, in her old 1965 dark green El Camino. with big yellow "Knocky's Propeller's" down the sides. Norris died in November, 2001.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess you have it all figured out..Who is it? And are they actually racing?
    What the heck are you doing up so late Butch? lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    What the heck are you doing up so late Butch? lol
    Waiting for you to spill the beans..Thanks, now I can go to sleep..
    Lots of old friends at Knocky's funeral..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want a little hint, as to what/where/who, this boat is...exactly?
    Ok, ok to keep your hint very small and have some fun ............. is the single letter " X " involved in the identification of the race boat in some form/fashion?
    I can't take it any longer. The original posters race boat was owned by an old family friend. His name was Bob Cox. Bob and his Marina General Manager, Ed Joyce raced in a number of Offshore races in 1965. They also raced, and placed third, in the Miami-Nassau race. The boat was a 1965 19 Donzi Hornet outboard with twin Johnson Super Sea-Horse V-4 75's.
    That is correct Fujimo. The X gave it away.

Bob Cox & Ed Joyce ran the "Marina Seven" boat. Ted D was not familiar with the background when I asked him but said if Bob were still with us he would have all the vivid details. Ad below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EbayBobCoxEdJoyce.jpg   IMG_201a.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a more detailed piece I put together on the April 12, 1965 Miami-to-Nassau race results.

Notice that both Bob Cox & Ed Joyce (in "Marina Seven") as well as Jerry Langer ran in that particular race and both in Donzi 19 Hornets. Cox ran twin Johnsons, while Langer rigged his with triple Evinrudes. If you look closely however, for some reason one is called "Production" while the other is called "Prototype" ?

Anyone know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V2April1965MiamiNassauRaceBoatFinishers.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to say, I'm rather surprised at the braintrust on this board. That the original poster can't get any information, that is.
    I am embarrassed. I consider myself part of this board. But I never knew Bob Cox or Ed Joyce, and I knew or had raced with so many other entrants in that 1965 Miami/Nassau race----

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 10-02-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am embarrassed. I consider myself part of this board. But I never knew Bob Cox or Ed Joyce, and I knew or had raced with so many other entrants in that 1965 Miami/Nassau race----
    There is not a lot of info out there on either of them on the race side of things. Wow ....... you were there and raced in that exact same race back in 1965 Mr. Lanham?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is not a lot of info out there on either of them on the race side of things. Wow ....... you were there and raced in that exact same race back in 1965 Mr. Lanham?
    post #10??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I lost focus on the fact that you were not only in the 1965 Miami-Nassau race with Bob Cox and Ed Joyce (came in 24th overall) but you were at the helm of Miss Pinky II that placed 31st.

Got it.

14. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, but you were at the helm of Miss Pinky II that placed 31st.
    It took a few years, better equipment, and Doc Magoon at the helm---to improve the Miami/Nassau finish position----

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 10-02-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am embarrassed but I never knew Bob Cox or Ed Joyce, and I knew or had raced with so many other entrants in that 1965 Miami/Nassau race.
    There is not a lot of info out there on either of them on the race side of things.
    Brownie's answer ....... "Dunno. Fred Darwick and I worked on this. Nothing. Might be my old Donzi Daddy, the first Hornet, re-rigged."
    Many of you were in good company seeing as Alan Brown also did not recognize the Marina Seven race boat, and he was there as well back in the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_201a.jpg   Johnrudes.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the Restaurant(15th Street Fisheries), the gas dock, the bait & tackle shop, an a portion of the Yacht brokerage offices, at the east end of Lauderdale Marina nowadays, that Bob started in 1948, that his current family still owns & operates.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast