Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    I worked on Hornets at Holman Moody in the late 60's, most of them had 427 Fords with a vee drive and Velvet drive transmission. This boat looks to have a couple feet chopped off the back with the cockpit in the original place.
    Your right Butch. All the Donzi's were inboards then, with a "very" few exceptions of sterndrive(s). An inboard boat needed to be modified for outboards, which was basicly frowned upon in those days, as it was thought to have "cheapened" the boat. What you older guys are forgetting, but I know you remember, is that it was discovered by Dick Cole, Richard Bertram, and many others...was that the farthur you sat towards the transom in rough water, the more tolerant the ride. This went for inboards and outboards alike. Hence, the aft helms/cockpits. Remember?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a phone call one evening about 5 years ago by the last living current agent I worked with asking me to not mention certain names and places.
    Think he's still around? You can tell us everything now. We won't repeat anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it not Jerry Langer on the back cover of the 1968 Evinrude catalog with the X-115s?.....X-115, one of the most attractive outboards ever built...IMHO..
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Howard Weiler: Finished the '500' in this 27' Magnum---1970

Remember Howard Weilers 27 Magnum well. It was during the factory horsepower wars, at the corporate level, and at the publics perception level. What brand you prefered was important & people were glad to tell you why. Howards triple Chrysler/Mercury/Johnson outboards were 125 horsepower each. An in-line four, an inline six...and a V-4. Of course, we all said at the time, that the Merc had to go in the middle because it was the most powerful. (no...seriously, lol))
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 09-22-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Your right Butch. All the Donzi's were inboards then, with a "very" few exceptions of sterndrive(s). An inboard boat needed to be modified for outboards, which was basicly frowned upon in those days, as it was thought to have "cheapened" the boat.
    Jerry Langer's Donzi was a factory boat that Don A supplied him. I have no idea if they were pals or not in 1964, as I was still a figment of my parents imagination. It was a 19' Hornet and was delivered very early in 1965. Now, to your specific point of "needing to be modified" I'm pretty confident that Jerry Langer's Hornet had the splash well done at the Donzi factory but there is probably only one guy left on earth that would know that for sure. Langer rigged that 19' Hornet at his Miami Beach dealership for triple Evinrude 90hp wackers with Davey Wilson after hours. Davey was 15 years younger than Jerry. They raced the boat against a lot of bigger inboard boats and beat 'em.

The Langer Hornet may offer a clue to help ID the "Marina Seven" race boat pictured below............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_201a.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raymar View Post
    By enlarging the photo on my computer I can read "DONZI" just above the last "1" of the number.
    Good grab on the letters. If the "Marina Seven" race boat was in fact a Donzi it would sync up to what lilabner and Mr. Brown thought it was as well. If that is true, it would have to be '64 or '65 hull though based on what folks have said about the OB's on the back. Not much reason to put Donzi on the side of a boat that was NOT actually one back then.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only other persons might know the hull are Bob Warwork at Raveau, and Tom Sheldon in Melrose, Fl. Tom is from Miami and raced there for years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only other persons might know the hull are Bob Warwork at Raveau, and Tom Sheldon in Melrose, Fl. Tom is from Miami and raced there for years.
    Thanks. I will try and contact them. A good addition to what Sam James suggested to me. Sam concluded our brief conversation about who I should probe with "if he's still sucking air" !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Howard Weiler: Finished the '500' in this 27' Magnum---1970

Food for thought....Assume that this boat won a major event. Which one of the Big Three would jump to the front of the line to take the credit ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I was on Long Island in those years and there was quite a bit of Offshore racing activity centered on the Around Long Island Marathon. K&K Outboard, Al Grover, Woodcleft Marine, American Finn, Port Washington Marine, Eltro Boats and a few others were, to varying degrees, invested in both OPC and Offshore racing, and I was as well. That being said, I do not remember anything called Marina Seven. That doesn't mean there wasn't something in the NY/NJ/CT/New England area with that name, but I never heard of it. Could we be way off base and be looking at a California or Bermuda boat?...Perhaps even a Midwest team , as there was a race from Chicago to New Buffalo, IN on Lake Michigan back then....
    Thanks T2x, I had no idea you were racing in our area back in 1964/1965, sorry!

I agree with you, the "Marina Seven" boat would have been hard for you (and others) not to remember especially running Johnson twins. It is not a West Coast boat for sure. Midwest or Bermuda is possible. Sam James suggested we contact Charlie McCarthy. I sent an email to him through his site a few days ago, but I have not gotten anything back from him. He probably gets this type of request every week and can't be bothered. Mr. James told me on the phone that McCarthy had been given a very large cache of old race boat photos from a noted marine photographer (name escapes me) before the gent passed and he might have something on Marina Seven.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your right Butch. All the Donzi's were inboards then, with a "very" few exceptions of sterndrive(s). An inboard boat needed to be modified for outboards, which was basicly frowned upon in those days, as it was thought to have "cheapened" the boat.
    That was also true for inshore closed course racing...Some of that prejudice, sadly, still exists to this day.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    Thanks T2x, I had no idea you were racing in our area back in 1964/1965, sorry!

I agree with you, the "Marina Seven" boat would have been hard for you (and others) not to remember especially running Johnson twins. It is not a West Coast boat for sure. Midwest or Bermuda is possible. Sam James suggested we contact Charlie McCarthy. I sent an email to him through his site a few days ago, but I have not gotten anything back from him. He probably gets this type of request every week and can't be bothered. Mr. James told me on the phone that McCarthy had been given a very large cache of old race boat photos from a noted marine photographer (name escapes me) before the gent passed and he might have something on Marina Seven.
    I am not sure that Charlie was racing Offshore in '64 or '65. He got those pictures from the late John Crouse, who took many of those shots himself, and also acquired the photo library of Ron Thibodeaux, his friend and colleague.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

13. Likes Mark75H, lilabner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think he's still around? You can tell us everything now. We won't repeat anything.
    You have to buy the book, he is still around.

15. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I am not sure that Charlie was racing Offshore in '64 or '65. He got those pictures from the late John Crouse, who took many of those shots himself, and also acquired the photo library of Ron Thibodeaux, his friend and colleague.
    Bingo, T2x ......... Thibodeaux was the name that Sam mentioned. And yes, he said that Charlie McCarthy had somehow become the final custodian of a tremendous number of vintage race photographs from a wide variety of sources and had taken very good care of all of them over the years. It sounds like this guy Charlie might have the single largest stash of old race boat photos on earth even though he was not old enough to be racing in 1964 as you say. Good to see that someone is caring for that old stuff. Maybe somewhere in the 1,000's of photos he has is something that would ID the "Marina Seven" race boat.

On a side note, he should digitize them as film won't last forever, but I digress.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S-22

S-22?

Hank Bowman---shortly before he was killed at the Stadium, 1963

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast