Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last post was before I got into racing.....I bought my buddy's 14 De Silva and Found a MK 75 h....went to the races 1975....I was just in for the funn. I figgued out that a 15/20 ratio gear case was better than the MK75H..so I used a KG9 lower .....with a big prop.....the boat ran faster but the lower unit broke No matter how I gusseted it 2 bolts don't cut it. Apba came into the pix with gas prices going up ..... ended that part of my ways.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently found this forum in boat searching, and for the past couple weeks have been hooked on reading here, Great forum!

My first boat was an 11' Mirocraft that I was mowing yards and saving up for. When I had enough to get the boat, didn't have enough for a motor. My dad took me to shop for motors, he was a Johnson motor fan. But I wanted a Merc 9.8. He put up the cash for it, and I continued mowing yards to pay him back. He bought a rocket trailer, said I didn't need to pay him for that.
    I have been addicted ever since!

My father and I fished with that boat for years, but when I had it out I was always trying to make it faster. I wanted a Merc 20hp for it, but dad said no way. I had friends with similar boats and mine was the fastest, until one kid showed up with a johnson 25hp on his 12' boat. No competition, that kids boat was to cool, and to fast!

I still wanted a faster boat, so I found a set of plans in a magazine for an 8' hydro made from 2 sheets of 4x8 plywood. We built it together as a father son project and when we got to the transom I told dad I wanted it strong..didn't say why...But I had a friend with a 20hp Merc..8)
    That little boat flew really well with the 9.8, but when I took it over to a friends house who lived on a canal and put his 20 Merc on it...NOW were talking!! It liked to porpoise until you got it wide open. Didn't turn to well either.

Years later in 1977 I bought a beat up 15' Checkmate with a Merc 175 and a soft transom. Later did a complete deck off, floor out restore and strengthened the transom for more hp. Bought a new Merc 200, put that on with a jack plate, nose cone low water pick up kit and spun a 26 quicksilver chopper. Didn't have a speedo, but figure it was good for mid 70? Was spinning right a 6K rpm's.

Later Got another project Checkmate MX 16 and did another deck off full restore, and built the rear deck over the motor well for a full transom, added an 18” motor bracket, hydraulic jack plate and a home built old 7 pedal 225, drilled exhaust mid, etc. This combination made it pretty quick and stable (well more stable than the previous 15' Checkmate). I had no speedometer, so didn't know how fast this one was. This was way before GPS days for boaters. It seemed faster, but no way for me to know, I could spin up the 225 to a little over 7K. I balanced the rotating assembly when I built the 225. Also was spinning the same 26 chopper. Goggles were needed to run it WOT n Trimmed.

Got married had children, and the speed boats got sold and so on....

As the years went by, I had several fishing boats, 3 center consoles, 2 bow riders, and now have a Procraft 17' bass boat with a Mariner Magnum 150. This bass boat has revived the “need for speed” again even though I am approaching 60 next B-day. It's no speed boat, but it is spirited enough to bring up old fun memories.

So I found this forum in search of another project boat. There were some back in the day that were consistently faster than my checkmates in those years with similar hp and mods. The Actions and Hydrostreams were a few that I remember their names. So far I like the looks of the Hydrostream V-Kings, specifically the YT for stability reasons.
    I loved my Checkmates, but I had to be really choosy about the water I ran wide open trimmed up in. They liked to chine walk easy and I got a little to aired out several times in both boats, more so in the 15'. I think the 16' Checkmate with the motor set back 18” and jacked up so the prop shaft ran almost level at the surface helped keep that one headed forward instead of up!

So if you actually read this far..I look forward to finding out more, and meeting some of you all!
    Thank you!

James

Looking for a project V-King YT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My great grandfather raced boats, my grandfather toyed with them some and my father raced a ton!i remember riding and watching as a small kid. After my father passed as a young child, my uncle started taking me out on the water and showing me how to respect the boat but how to have a LOT of fun with some fast boats. My first official first boat was a blazer. I wanted more so I jumped up to a very lightweight comp hydro stream. I went from there to sand bar racing a XR01. Then I started competitively racing on occasion. I've now owned several XR01's. I've tried to get away from this sport, but I can't
    2006 XR 2001 Allison/2.5 EFI Influencing Countless Numbers Of Women To Get Behind The Wheel Of Raw Power

Well-behaved women rarely go down in history

~All Guts and No Nuts~

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a ____shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
    WHAT He said
    I don't remember....
    Last edited by CUDA; 09-06-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally found this old pic of me in my dads boat on the mississippi when I was 9 years old. He taught me well and trusted me to be safe. It was a Larson Wildfire. I used to do the racing for him whenever anyone wanted some because I weighed less. You can see me wearing the life vest and a throw cushion behind me so I could reach the steering wheel. I remember that day so well. I raced and beet a stream that day. He was flip flopping around chine walking like crazy. Obviously wasn't set up correctly but in those days "who was"? LOL!!! The motor was a 115 in that pic and the next summer he bought a new 150. Those were the days!!!

Heres the pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	327232
    Last edited by Hot Shot Merc; 09-07-2015 at 08:08 AM.
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

6. Thanks W2F a V-King thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an awesome picture. Wish I had some of my father boating back in those days. He was my fishing buddy.

My father was an OMC fan until I talked him into trying a Mercury. He thought the Mercury's were not reliable. But the perfect track record and running of the 9.8 we got changed his mind.
    When his 115 Evinrude developed a knock he gave it to me, and bought a new 1984 Mercury 115. He never was one to go fast, until he got that Merc! It was on a 17' wellcraft runabout fishing boat. It was definitely faster with the Merc. Those 115's just seemed to wind up better.

The Evinrude didn't have power trim, just tilt, so that was a new experience for him. The 115 Evinrude he gave me turned out just needing a forward gear in the lower unit, had a chip and you'd of sworn it was a bad rod. The noise traveled up the drive shaft and sounded loudest up at the flywheel. I replaced that gear and put that old Evinrude on a project boat I had at the time ( Wellcraft Airslot 17') and kept running it.

James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It"s neat how many started with the 2 sheats of plywood boats......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3