Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How Did you Get to the Point You Are Now

I just posted a reply to a thread where someone apparently new to the sport wanted to buy an STV or Mirage with a 300x. I, as well as others, suggested he needed some seat time in a less intense boat before going that route.

So, did you step right into the boat you have now or one like it, or how did you get there? I started 56 years ago rowing an 8' Optimist Pram. Many small boats as a kid, built several boats, raced in a few smaller classes of OPC running in the 50s or 60s, ran a 55 mph Hydrostream for many years then stepped up to my 89 mph Eliminator.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you may be underestimating the individual???? just maybe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are listed in my sig in order atleast all the performance boats the ally drag is. 100% most thrilling
    19 bullet
    82 v king
    84 v king
    93 stv pro comp
    07 venom
    80 gt20
    93 v-21
    89 stv procomp
    97 xr 2001
    89 stv pro comp
    82 17 action marine
    99 action craft flats boat
    88 xr2002
    90 Stv pro comp
    10 mirage 1/4 master
    98 mirage 1/4master

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also started slow with a pink Larson with an 80 merc dockbuster. Moved to a Checkmate then Hydrostream then STVs then Allisons with about 40 other boats along the way. The Larson ran about 30 and have had several nearing 130 since. Gotta agree the Ally drag was by far the most thrilling.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't believe in buying starter boats or bikes .... Go get it .... I hav always went for it and slowly learned and respected the dangerous thing I'm riding on or in .... But that's just me ...
    Piss in the wind racin team

6. Likes Tango liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    started when I was 8 years old on the mississippi river in my dads larson wild fire with a 150 merc. have owned over 20 fast boats since. Everything from stream,actions to stv's and quarter shots.
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was on the swim team growing up and I was real fast and smooth.. From there I knew I could jump right into a 100mph boat.
    24 Skater 250xs
    15 Viper 2.5 260

9. Likes MetricMuscle liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have been around boats since birth (many pictures of me as an infant sleeping under the decks and in cuddy cabins).

At 6 years old I got my first johnboat (12 ft. with a 4 hp evinrude)-no reverse, you had to spin it 180 to go backwards. You didn't need a boaters safty or anything at that time if it was under 6 hp. This was a great sence of freedom (I still remember it 40 years later) how I would run back and forth in front our house and go maybe 3 houses to the North and then 3 houses to the South and my turning points (must have drove the neighbors crazy). The boat had the trim pin tucked all of the way under and it would bow steer even with my gas tank all of the way to the rear (obviously I didn't know any different at 6 years old). My neighbor (John Mullholland) came over and told me that he wanted to show me how to "raise the motor"-he meant change the trim angle, and there was my first feeling of being aired up. I thought that I had a rocket on my hands.

At 10 (my dad got me in as being 12) I was allowed to use the 13 whaler with a 35 Galaxy on it (it was old school even back then).--I think this was what I logged the most hours in period....

At 12 my dad ended up with an 18 skater which quickly became my boat-it was all over from there (this was 1981). --81 mph and I thought I was the king for a long time.

At 13 I ran my 1st class D hydro.

Had my first stv pro comp in 89, first 35 fountain in 90 (21 years old and I bought/financed it), first 24 skater in 91, 92 pro comp, new euro in 93, 28 skater, 38 fountain, 42 fountain, 30 spectre, 24 skater, 38 cigarette, 36 spectre, 24 skater, stv river rocket, ski nautique, premier tri-toon, ski tique, century Arabian, 15 whaler, 25 whaler, 24 skater, 21 liberator, 36 skater, stv river rocket, 24 harris tunnel deck (still have), 24 skater, stv river rocket (still have), 15 whaler (still have), 24 skater 97' (still have), 2015 wicked sport deck (just got it from Brent). On top of this, I had access to all of the boats and pwcs that my brother and dad have had-

It has been a blast and cost me a shi*load of money, but the memories and friends made are priceless. I am trying to get my son off of the video games and out to enjoy what we all have (11 years old) and its a challenge.

Joe
    Last edited by JPEROG; 09-01-2015 at 09:52 AM.

11. Thanks dumbnfun2 thanked for this post
    Likes AZMIDLYF, Baja170 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention the 32' Doug Wright you get to play with on some weekends.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a 10' jon boat with a sculling paddle for many years. Grew up too poor to afford anything else. Got lucky and bought a trolling motor and battery for it and experienced a thrill of freedom! I fished that boat and trolling motor combo for about 5 years, then got a 14' jon boat. 1954 Evinrude 7.5hp was first gas engine. Ran it for almost two years with a bad head gasket cause I didn't know it was bad, just thought it was the low HP. I got an amazing deal on a 1954 Evinrude 15hp Fasttwin and was amazed at how much I liked that boat.

Later on I got another 14'jon boat and put a 1965 Johnson 18hp on it. had a full casting deck, livewell, under deck cooler and storage, front to back carpet...the whole 9 yards. I found the cobra bass boat I have now (had a 1978 Mercury 115 I6) and sold the jon boat for more than double what I paid for the Cobra. I bought another boat that had a 1974 Merc 150. Swapped the 150 onto the Cobra and put the 115 on the other boat then sold it. That started my slow increase in HP on the ole boat...

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up VERY lucky, performance boats were all around me on the backwaters of the dam (hardy). First performance boat i rode in was my dads (G-Train here on s&f) skater 18 with a stock 200 black max, not long later my uncle (BFD on s&f) had a 1986 hydrostream Valero yt with a 200 black max on it. They both sold theirs and ordered 2 STV pro comps, 1 fitted with the then new 2.5 260 Mercury, my dads with a 2.4 bridgeport, i was scared to death of these boats, basically forced to go for boat rides, but something clicked and at age 5 i was HOOKED!

My dad first bought us a row boat to get acclimated to being on the water alone, we then upgraded to a 15 foot tri-hull with a 70 horse mercury, after blowing that motor sky high, we put on a 80 horse, then a 2 115's, then finally a inline 6 150 horse, boat was only rated for a 90, we touched off 52 mph and it only fed the fire for speed.

After occasionally driving the old mans river rocket (sold the pro comp) my brothers and i wanted nothing to do with the old tri-hull, too slow. So after begging dad, he bought us my uncles old Valero yt that never left the family when he sold it, still had a 200 black max on it but not for long, he fitted it with a 260 merc, we drove the piss out of that boat, got 101 mph out of it at the rumble on the river. We then sold it and dad bought a second river rocket. I personally have ventured on my own and bought a few boats, my first boat that i bought myself was an old Glastron Carlson CVX-16 with a 115 johson v-4, blew the motor sold the boat, then had a 1996 Four Winns U-19, fun boat but too slow after awhile, i then bought an Allison SS which ive recently sold for an STV river rocket. All along the way ive had several family members who have owned or still do own STV's, skaters, hydrostreams, checkmates, talons, all MERCURY power of course, except for the little hiccup johnson i owned..............

The term "boating" for me has always been different than your average weekend joe, as many of you well know. Theres something about the speed and acceleration that gets to you, we sacrifice creature comforts for more horsepower and less weight, we must all be married to saints....................

15. Likes Tom Foley liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro-Peep View Post
    I grew up VERY lucky, performance boats were all around me on the backwaters of the dam (hardy). First performance boat i rode in was my dads (G-Train here on s&f) skater 18 with a stock 200 black max, not long later my uncle (BFD on s&f) had a 1986 hydrostream Valero yt with a 200 black max on it. They both sold theirs and ordered 2 STV pro comps, 1 fitted with the then new 2.5 260 Mercury, my dads with a 2.4 bridgeport, i was scared to death of these boats, basically forced to go for boat rides, but something clicked and at age 5 i was HOOKED!

My dad first bought us a row boat to get acclimated to being on the water alone, we then upgraded to a 15 foot tri-hull with a 70 horse mercury, after blowing that motor sky high, we put on a 80 horse, then a 2 115's, then finally a inline 6 150 horse, boat was only rated for a 90, we touched off 52 mph and it only fed the fire for speed.

After occasionally driving the old mans river rocket (sold the pro comp) my brothers and i wanted nothing to do with the old tri-hull, too slow. So after begging dad, he bought us my uncles old Valero yt that never left the family when he sold it, still had a 200 black max on it but not for long, he fitted it with a 260 merc, we drove the piss out of that boat, got 101 mph out of it at the rumble on the river. We then sold it and dad bought a second river rocket. I personally have ventured on my own and bought a few boats, my first boat that i bought myself was an old Glastron Carlson CVX-16 with a 115 johson v-4, blew the motor sold the boat, then had a 1996 Four Winns U-19, fun boat but too slow after awhile, i then bought an Allison SS which ive recently sold for an STV river rocket. All along the way ive had several family members who have owned or still do own STV's, skaters, hydrostreams, checkmates, talons, all MERCURY power of course, except for the little hiccup johnson i owned..............

The term "boating" for me has always been different than your average weekend joe, as many of you well know. Theres something about the speed and acceleration that gets to you, we sacrifice creature comforts for more horsepower and less weight, we must all be married to saints....................
    I can remember sitting out in front of Ron's house at Gun Lake with your dad, Scott, Dan, and Dan Filtenborg eating pizza from next door there. You were a little dude. I think it would have been 92-93 area.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyChris View Post
    Was on the swim team growing up and I was real fast and smooth.. From there I knew I could jump right into a 100mph boat.
    What was your 50 free scy time?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I jumped right in with both feet. First boat a 16' checkmate with a 135hp merc. That was 1975. Next boat was a brand new Hydrostream Vulture with a 235hp in 1978

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always addicted to boats but to young to afford anything and no one else around me was interested. When I turned 21 my dad helped me to get my First boat, a v-king with a 97 pm. Over the last couple years lots more has been invested. It's now a re-cored Boat with a 280.

Always been into purchasing the big power first and learning how to drive it second. As long as you trust yourself to be smart at the start everything should be fine. The first dirt bike I bought was a CR 250, was a handful at first but I didn't have to buy a second bike next year to get more power!!!
    Hydrostream V-king 2005 280

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast