Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promax 225, which exh. Tuner ?

Building a 225 promax, over the winter, on a ridgeback/sporty, have pretty much decided not to use a 1 pc. Adapter plate, i have a promax 2 pc. Adapter plate, but no tuner for it, can i use a bridgeport or 260 square type tuner ? I have several of each already, was thinking finding a promax tuner may be hard to do, and possibly not necessary., tks. I think the 260 ports would likely be a better matchup, but did the promax have a special length to it's tuner ?
    Last edited by Varmint; 08-24-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of changing tuners as well. From what I can tell, the Promax tuner is the same as the 200 tuner....the promax and 200 adapters are different, but the tuner is the same. The Promax SS had a different tuner but I'll bet they are impossible to find as so few were built. I wondered if the old 2.4 bridgeport tuner might work. I want something that will complement an SVS set up on the exhaust side.
    Go Time
    2003XS GS 225 Promax/ 260 / 280
    26 Regulator twin 250 EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just building a .020 over block, stock internals, with better reeds, and thinking the only thing i may change is the box, to a brucato,ya', i am not sure either what tuner they used, the only problem i see with a bport tuner is the smaller ports on the 2.4 block mismatching on a 2.5 block, i have both 2.4 and 2.5 260 adapter/tuners, and lucky i have a promax 2 pc adapter, getting hard to find those too !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if the size of the opening in the exhaust plate (where the tuner is attached) is different on the 2.4 Bridgeport one pc and 2.5 Promax 2 pc. The block opening has nothing to due with it as the size changes as the exhaust goes through the adapter. I doubt the 2.4 BP tuner opening is smaller than the PM.
    Not sure just adding a tuner will give any noticeable performance improvement without doing something to the intake side to improve the engines ability to "breath".
    Go Time
    2003XS GS 225 Promax/ 260 / 280
    26 Regulator twin 250 EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.4 bridgeport exhaust openings on the bottom of the block are quite smaller than a 2.5 block,the rectangular ports are like a 1/4" smaller, i just want to know which tuner will work best for a stock PM,w/2 pc.PM Plate on a ridgeback can.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
    2.4 bridgeport exhaust openings on the bottom of the block are quite smaller than a 2.5 block,the rectangular ports are like a 1/4" smaller, i just want to know which tuner will work best for a stock PM,w/2 pc.PM Plate on a ridgeback can.
    Now this is from memory from years ago.....I built a carbed Promax and used a 200 tuner and a 2.4, 2 piece plate. The ports in the 2.4 plate were quite a bit smaller than the 2.5 block exhaust ports. I ground open the the 2.4 plate to match the 2.5 exhaust and ran it for a couple of years that way. In the back of my mind it always bothered me doing it that way because I thought it was still restricting the exhaust. So I bought a Promax 2 piece plate and a stock Promax tuner (much longer than the 200 tuner). After switching over to the genuine Promax parts there was no significant difference in the way it ran. This motor is on my heavy Eliminator and I still run it to this day....best motor I have ever had. Just my experience....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bridgeport and Pro Max tuners have the same port size, BP tuner is shorter. I have them both.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can measure them tonight if you want. Was sure the port size was the same but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Dave
    RIP Stu

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you check you will see all the exhaust adapter for the 2.5 consumer motas are same on the bottom half only tops are different i went thru all that when i bought my first new pmax in 1995 only then they had the miraculous G Force tuners that gave you tons of HP i cut my heads, drilled out my exhaust, added tuner, coned my lower unit or JC did and i got a whopping 1MPH from all of it but it was fun dreamin bout going faster then 83 in my bullet lots of years later and lots of motas from 260,280,300x i dont regret a single mod it was fun the fastest of all these was the 280 what a trip now 20 years later im running a ported to the moon 260 steel sleeve by James Perry it seems like its gonna run only 2 1/2s on it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok who gets it you or REX musta had one o dem super omc's u usta build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it allready had seven petal reeds by mercury lots better then After market imho, torqmaster set really high , tuner waste of money, drill out exhaust just nosier, cut heads yielded the increase and a lot more mid range punch but no mph on big end so sometimes its a exercise in well them guys said they got 10mph also my ecu was a 6 which was someway could twist 350 more rpms then manual said it could Ok Chris tear me up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just poking......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    it allready had seven petal reeds by mercury lots better then After market imho, torqmaster set really high , tuner waste of money, drill out exhaust just nosier, cut heads yielded the increase and a lot more mid range punch but no mph on big end so sometimes its a exercise in well them guys said they got 10mph also my ecu was a 6 which was someway could twist 350 more rpms then manual said it could Ok Chris tear me up
    Ha Ha your killing me man. Tried all the same chit on 3 HP motors. Heads best bang for buck for sure, Gene's tuners gained no top end rpm but all 3 had a seat of the pants gain between 45-6000 rpm. Reeds same deal. Tried the mods one at atime not all at one time. The old man was big on graphs and formulas, said it takes about 10-15hp to gain 1mph after 60mph or $1500 per mph.

Dave
    RIP Stu

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    I can measure them tonight if you want. Was sure the port size was the same but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Dave
    i have a box full of both, bridgeport is way smaller, i'm using a PM 2 pc. Plate i think anyhow, the actual tuner for a PM, i didn't have, til last night ,we found 2 complete mids in the container, so, i'll use a proper setup. I just didn't want all the steel sleeve cold issues with a 1 pc adapter, so, i'm using the 2 pc. On a ridgeback, and now have the correct tuner, so, tks. To all !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave aint it the squirts when you think you got it all worked out and it turns to mush right before your eyes, its kinda like being in a heated argument and realizing your wrong bout half way thru boy i know that song, funny thing about Genes tuners the three i have none have big holes in them except a 260 style that burned out inside