Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prop advice/criticism wanted mod-v with turned up yamaha 3cyl

Current prop was free. Original prop was in ruined condition. Current: yamaha "semi cleaver" originally a 17 but repitched and cupped by a local guy to a 19 (supposedly)but the prop math does seem to add up okay.. at 6050 rpm the boat hits 47 gps but as revvs climb to 6420 (current max) the boat actually slows to 44.
    Specs:
    Mod v aluminum fishing boat with normal fishing crap (trolling motor, two batteries, live well etc)
    Motor started life as a 75hp yamaha (same as 90 with factory installed restrictions) couldn't stand that it was a 90 in sheep's clothing.. so it has some Hydrotech parts, every trick in the Gordon Jennings book that applies, plus some of my own. (Lifetime gear head, new to speed on the water though) motor originally turned this prop to only 5200, 6420 now.
    Has a bobs 6"plate.
    Plans to run a lwp just to get the motor out of the water and run a prop capable of some mild surfacing duties. I know a nose cone would slow me down otherwise.

After TONS of reading, I almost just get more confused as to what to try first. Not much info on mod-v hulls with a hotter motor.

Current prop is obviously giving up, so what options would you guys look to next knowing I'm willing to jack the motor up, after max top end, and only need an o.k. holeshot? (No cleavers, obviously lol)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my thoughts too guys. What I'm trying to do here is either uncommon, or those that have never posted up anywhere that I can find. Probably going to just buy a trophy 4 blade with a good bit of rake for my general purpose prop, and maybe something for more speed on weekend sand bar trips. IF I find something that works I'll post up.
    Last edited by coreyc619; 07-27-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need a lot of trim? Then a good lifting prop like a trophy or big ear chopper. If you don't need lift, then a Yamaha drag or ET. Don't be afraid to buy used props. You can always sell what doesn't work.

4. Thanks coreyc619 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i do need quite a bit of trim. with the added hp, more trim than ever before to the point its tough to keep it up without porpoising. my hull needs some blue print work, it does have some hook so thats likely a contributing factor, already have materials in hand just waiting to find time to clean it up.

THANK YOU very much for the recommendations. both of those yamaha props seem to be in high demand, everytime i see one come up on the high performance boating fb pages etc theyre sold within the hour. problem is, i pretty much never see one pitched less than 24. even with my motor jacked up, hull blue-printed, and soon to have more power via big bore carbs, i just dont think i can turn a 24 even on a perfect day. ill keep looking, thanks for the advice. I'd better get that hook out of the hull, and do some testing with the coming changes before i choose which style of prop to try. i do have access to a 26p chopper to try, but i hate to put that much load on the motor and risk hurting something when i KNOW i wont be able to turn it. we'll see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 22 srx 15 spline over hub exhaust might be selling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yammy 3 cyl modv

Sounds like bad hub rpm goes up speed goes down?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pm me a price and nope hub is fine. I and several others feel that it's blowing out and simply can't keep up. I ordered a turbo fx4 for general use, sent it back immediately. HEAVY and tiny exhaust exit. ordered a ptr3 in a 19 for general duty, hopefully I'll be more pleased. Get me some info on that srx