Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad ECU On 225 ProMax... Brucato Or Simon?

I realize Brucato is a sponsor here, so I hope this question isn't inappropriate, but I just need input from the "been there, done that" crowd. Mine is a 2000 model that I've owned about a year, and the ECU is a A32D which has already been to CDI as evidenced by one of their stickers (no date marked) on the unit. Had a problem with cold start/operation and the motor being very low on power for the first minute or so, but it was getting worse. Last time out took about 10 minutes, then it was like hitting a switch, just like before, but it just took a long time to come alive. My mechanic hooked it up to his Mercury magical mystery box, and everything checked okay. He then swapped out the ECU with a borrowed unit, and it ran like a top. That pretty much told us what we needed to know.

From what I gather, the new Brucato unit is $1,100 vs $600 for a repair job on mine from Simon Motorsports. I can obviously use the $500 for other things on the boat, but I'm just trying to make the right call. What say you?
    Present Allisons: GT20/200 XRi (stringers up restoration by Jack Barsh), XST18/150XS/115 ADI clone (full composite restoration by Kevin Bryant), R13 (Larry Register splash)/850XS
    Past Allisons: SS20/ 225 Pro Max, SS20/200 Merc, XR2002 2.5 260SS Merc, XTB21/225 Merc (hull #1), R15/60 JohnRude, EP15/60 YamaMariner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brucato.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem you may run into sending your unit to Simon is that CDI was known to remove the Merc guts and put their own inside and I'm not sure Eric can repair those guts. Does it feel heavier then the one you tried to confirm your problem?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tux974 View Post
    The problem you may run into sending your unit to Simon is that CDI was known to remove the Merc guts and put their own inside and I'm not sure Eric can repair those guts. Does it feel heavier then the one you tried to confirm your problem?
    I didn't install the donor ECU, so I can't comment on weight differences, but you make a valid point about not knowing what CDI did to this one. My mechanic wasn't too keen on CDI either. I'm calling around to some local dealers and other motorheads to see if I can find one, then I'll call Simon and see what they say.
    Present Allisons: GT20/200 XRi (stringers up restoration by Jack Barsh), XST18/150XS/115 ADI clone (full composite restoration by Kevin Bryant), R13 (Larry Register splash)/850XS
    Past Allisons: SS20/ 225 Pro Max, SS20/200 Merc, XR2002 2.5 260SS Merc, XTB21/225 Merc (hull #1), R15/60 JohnRude, EP15/60 YamaMariner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would spend the money on a Brucato box, I have one on my pro max, also had one on my 280, great boxes and great service

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update. Simon said no problem where previous CDI mods are concerned. I'm still beating the bushes for a used one (with clear history), but no luck so far.

As for the Brucato unit, what will it give me (besides adjustability) that the stock ECU doesn't? Again, not knocking anything, just trying to get edumacated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can change the fuel curve yourself to a point on a Brucato box if you know what doing. Tony gives great service and tech support at no charge. If I ever need a new or have some extra $$$ burning a hole in my pocket that will be the first change I make to mine then a SVS intake.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the brucato unit personally. i have a 7500 rpm red line but I would go 8000 just for kicks and giggles. I run 7300 -7400 most of the time with the 225 promax. If you add mods to your engine you can fine tune to the added mods with the Brucato. i bought mine second hand 8 years ago and haven't had to touch it in about as long. i fattened up the bottom end when i got 33cc heads to take advantage of the added compression and fine tuned for the altitude were i boat. After setting my timming i played around with it also until i gained MPH then lost mph then set it back were it was best. Just a great tool.!! if you change to a 260 or 280 down the road you can use the same unit just send it back to tony and have it re flashed for the new setup. nice options i think. You will no longer need your tps also. less stuff to go wrong.
    Last edited by whipper; 07-22-2015 at 07:26 PM.

9. Likes Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whipper View Post
    I love the brucato unit personally. i have a 7500 rpm red line but I would go 8000 just for kicks and giggles. I run 7300 -7400 most of the time with the 225 promax. If you add mods to your engine you can fine tune to the added mods with the Brucato. i bought mine second hand 8 years ago and haven't had to touch it in about as long. i fattened up the bottom end when i got 33cc heads to take advantage of the added compression and fine tuned for the altitude were i boat. After setting my timming i played around with it also until i gained MPH then lost mph then set it back were it was best. Just a great tool.!! if you change to a 260 or 280 down the road you can use the same unit just send it back to tony and have it re flashed for the new setup. nice options i think.
    No doubt it would be a big plus in your situation, but mine is box stock and will stay that way. I have no problem admitting I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to changing fuel curves, so the simpler the better for me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony sends it plug and play. you want higher rev limiter for sure. 7500 is very conservative on these motors. The advantages of more revs are many! The only reason i mucked with mine is because it cam off a differant motor that they played with the settings. other wise you give him the make and model of motor and you just plug it in and it better than before in every way. Mines stock with side pinned pistons. The only thing i did was the heads but ran it for a couple years before playing around.
    Last edited by whipper; 07-22-2015 at 07:37 PM.

12. Likes Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whipper View Post
    Tony sends it plug and play. you want higher rev limiter for sure. 7500 is very conservative on these motors. The advantages of more revs are many! The only reason i mucked with mine is because it cam off a differant motor that they played with the settings. other wise you give him the make and model of motor and you just plug it in and it better than before in every way.
    I appreciate the input (and the pics), but my application is way different than yours as I'm more into just cruising around 5,000 with an occasional WOT run just to air it out good. That extra $500 can go toward having Darris blueprint my bottom. The way I see it, that motor will go lots more hours with stock heads and the stock limiter than it will if I start playing with it. I have no interest in being the fastest boat on the lake as both the boat and I are too old for that!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck on buying a used Mercury brain as a motor rebuilder who generally builds only EFI motors and only Mercury, i have bought quite a few used ecu's in the last 15 years and the orchard is getting thin!!! most of the time when someone sells one its one of two things good or not so good, i own DDT equipment which gives a short view of your ecu, real short it will give you all the normal read outs ,fuel pump driver, injector drivers,it will ID the ecu but most of the time wont tell you if map sensor is junk or if its a not so good runner , ive also owned several Brucatos which ive not had all good experience with so its a crap shoot , ive also used Simon and CDI which i wont expand on but some story's have a good ending the last used brain i bought was for a 175 and i paid 95.00 for it( off Ebay and it is a great ecu so go figure

15. Likes tux974, Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    Good luck on buying a used Mercury brain as a motor rebuilder who generally builds only EFI motors and only Mercury, i have bought quite a few used ecu's in the last 15 years and the orchard is getting thin!!! most of the time when someone sells one its one of two things good or not so good, i own DDT equipment which gives a short view of your ecu, real short it will give you all the normal read outs ,fuel pump driver, injector drivers,it will ID the ecu but most of the time wont tell you if map sensor is junk or if its a not so good runner , ive also owned several Brucatos which ive not had all good experience with so its a crap shoot , ive also used Simon and CDI which i wont expand on but some story's have a good ending the last used brain i bought was for a 175 and i paid 95.00 for it( off Ebay and it is a great ecu so go figure
    Yep, I've called everybody I know to call and Google'd by butt off. I've run across a few, but not the A32, and nothing anywhere near $95.00.

I talked to CDI today, just for the heck of it, and they only offer a 90 day warranty on their refurbs which cost about the same as a new Brucato. I looked at their site and didn't see any mention of warranty. My mechanic said the same thing about both in terms of having problems, and I won't expand on that either. I'm gonna box mine up, send it to Simon (1 year warranty), and hope for the best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    freebird, ran into a similar problem a couples of days ago and of course thinking ECU driver is bad or going bad so I switched 3 different ECU's the problem still existed. It turn out to be the ground wire going to the VST high pressure pump was broken inside the jacket, visually it looked perfect, cut the wire new ring terminal and all is well. Just thought I pass this info on it may help someone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, but switching ECU's cured my problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast