User Tag List

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    Why is the cost soo high?
    Materials to build a 28 cat can't be THAT much?
    The cost of what you see them doing right now is what is so expensive (design, tooling, plug, mold). The raw materials and labor involved in the manufacture of the hulls is actually pretty cheap. I've heard materials only run about $400 per foot (28' boat = $11,200 in raw materials). Trust me though, I have many friends in the performance marine industry, and the running joke among everyone in the industry is "You know how to become a millionaire in the boat building business? Start with two million!". And the fact is that most boat manufacturer owners (I'm taking about high end performance boat manufacturers) made their money in other industries that gave them the wealth to start building boats for a living. And not many of them survive at that!

2. Likes tux974, Ocean goer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I need a new "profession."

I do like seeing new boats being designed and hopefully built in the end. There's not much as far as brand new designs out there. Granted some of the older ones just simply work and work well. One day Ill have enough dough to own one of these rigs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can only make more money when you figure out how to take more of it from more people. Then you can buy a boat like that. Most people who make stupid amounts of money have no time to boat. There to busy making more so they dont have to sell anything and pay tax. A friend makes over 30 million a month just off his rentals and has no time. 24/7 work. Builds Houses and High rises and owns lots of 50-100 unit apartments and condo developments. i asked him why dont you just sell 50 or 100 million in assets and live happily ever after? He said i own all these buildings and the capital gains would all go to the government. He has to just grow and grow forever unless he wants to eat millions to the government. Not going to give money away that he worked to make. I don't have that problem. i wouldn't mind just a little bit of that problem though to get a faster bigger boat like this skater!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    The reason Pete hasn't sold a new 28' in over two years (and will probably be destroying the molds soon)
    Not to get off topic but you really think they would destroy the molds? I thought they held on to them pretty much forever as they have built a few 24s in the past 10 years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy tons of steps Batman! Subscribed
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

Scream & Fly Flying Machine of the Month:
    September 2005

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ild&highlight=

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake rat Skater View Post
    Not to get off topic but you really think they would destroy the molds? I thought they held on to them pretty much forever as they have built a few 24s in the past 10 years
    Pete already destroyed the 24 molds and got rid of them. The 28 molds are now out in the same storage shed the 24 molds were occupying. I doubt he'll hang onto them for too long when he's not building any. As he continues to add new bigger models to his line, he needs the room.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete already destroyed the 24 molds and got rid of them. The 28 molds are now out in the same storage shed the 24 molds were occupying. I doubt he'll hang onto them for too long when he's not building any. As he continues to add new bigger models to his line, he needs the room.

Sounds like he should sell them-cheap since there's no demand
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

September 2005

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Undoubtedly, this boat is going to be the baddest lake/river outboard boat to ever hit the water when it does finally get wet. A 130mph 28' cat w/ Optis is just awesome - PERIOD! However, the million $$$ question is how much is it going to cost? The reason Pete hasn't sold a new 28' in over two years (and will probably be destroying the molds soon) is because a new 28 Skater w/ Optis on a trailer will set you back over $200k for a bare-bones boat. Add a nice paint job, 15" mid conversion and some electronics and you're looking at a $250k 28' cat that will run 120. For us performance nuts, the 10mph gain this new 28 will probably have over a 28 Skater is very impressive, but will it be enough for somebody to spend that kind of coin? I hope the manufacturer can figure a way to get his production costs down to bring a fully decked out rig in at less than $200k. If he can do that, I think he'll sell some of these. If it's going to be in the $250k+ range, I don't think you'll see many of them sold. Remember, there has only been ONE 32DW outboard pleasure boat ever built/sold - because that rig came in at $300k+. For that kind of money, nobody wanted a 115mph 32' cat - as impressive as it is for it's size and power.
    Small correction-Doug has built eight 32 pleasure boats. Four outboards, John's, Scott Porta's, Darren's, Michel's (4 seat canopy) with 400s, and Gary Ballough's which is in process. There are three other serious potential buyers that he is talking to right now. The four sterndrive 32 pleasures all run between 130 and 147 (power ranges from 525s to 700s). As far as cost goes, the standard hull is 120k. There is 50k in the materials used for a 32 pleasure boat (Doug and I have talked at length about this), he does a lot of research on materials for weight, strength, and blow cycles. He could most likely do better on material cost if he was in a position to purchase them in bulk (Doug is a great guy, very very smart, and an incredible designer but he is not rich). He makes more money on the other projects that he does (aircraft parts and design, special mold and production projects, design and engineering other boats like this 28) then he does building the boats that he sells.

The 28 is estimated to be sold at 75 to 100k with no rigging, motors, or trailer. These boats are not for the average guy and are undoubtedly crazy expensive when you compare what you can buy in todays used market. However, if you want a 32 that will run in the high teens with stock XS power, it is the only option out currently out there and the handling is breath taking for its size. I think this 28 (as stated by Dale as well) will be the baddest thing out there for small water outboard power.

With all of that being said, the million $$$ answer is: a new 28 complete will be possible for just under 200k (less then a 28 skater), and a new 32 can be built complete for 250K complete. Of course there will be people that want to go over the top and they will be more.

Joe

10. Likes Ocean goer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MODVP22 View Post
    Sounds like he should sell them-cheap since there's no demand
    There is no money in building small (high quality, light weigh boats). Look at the STVs, Roark didn't get wealthy, Wally wouldn't sold the molds if he was getting rich. Jack puts out an awesome product, works his tail off to do it, and has as low overhead to keep the ball rolling. Pete at skater was building small boats out of passion (he is a racer at heart), when the customers started wanting bigger and bigger boats, the price tag got bigger and bigger so there was a profit possibility put into the picture and he was smart enough to take advantage of it.

Joe

12. Likes Laker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    There is no money in building small (high quality, light weigh boats). Look at the STVs, Roark didn't get wealthy, Wally wouldn't sold the molds if he was getting rich. Jack puts out an awesome product, works his tail off to do it, and has as low overhead to keep the ball rolling. Pete at skater was building small boats out of passion (he is a racer at heart), when the customers started wanting bigger and bigger boats, the price tag got bigger and bigger so there was a profit possibility put into the picture and he was smart enough to take advantage of it.

Joe
    I know, I was kidding around. Would be cool as a enthusiast to come across that kind of deal
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

September 2005

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the materials go what Doug uses is top notch. I know I've been buying the same stuff for the new Wicked Powerboats carbon epoxy 30' Super Stock canopy race boat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undoubtedly, this boat is going to be the baddest lake/river outboard boat to ever hit the water when it does finally get wet. A 130mph 28' cat w/ Optis is just awesome - PERIOD! However, the million $$$ question is how much is it going to cost? The reason Pete hasn't sold a new 28' in over two years (and will probably be destroying the molds soon) is because a new 28 Skater w/ Optis on a trailer will set you back over $200k for a bare-bones boat. Add a nice paint job, 15" mid conversion and some electronics and you're looking at a $250k 28' cat that will run 120. For us performance nuts, the 10mph gain this new 28 will probably have over a 28 Skater is very impressive, but will it be enough for somebody to spend that kind of coin? I hope the manufacturer can figure a way to get his production costs down to bring a fully decked out rig in at less than $200k. If he can do that, I think he'll sell some of these. If it's going to be in the $250k+ range, I don't think you'll see many of them sold. Remember, there has only been ONE 32DW outboard pleasure boat ever built/sold - because that rig came in at $300k+. For that kind of money, nobody wanted a 115mph 32' cat - as impressive as it is for it's size and power.
    So I have the last 28 Skater built?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the nice compliments. I will respond in depth when I have more time. To answer a few questions the boat will be built in a seperate facility along with the new Top Fuel, and alcohol boats. This boat was purposely designed to make it more affordable to the general public. Big boat looks feel with a single to run over 100. And just have fun. And to answer yes it will also be a race boat. Thanks Have a Great Weekend

17. Likes RBT liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Small correction-Doug has built eight 32 pleasure boats. Four outboards, John's, Scott Porta's, Darren's, Michel's (4 seat canopy) with 400s, and Gary Ballough's which is in process. There are three other serious potential buyers that he is talking to right now. The four sterndrive 32 pleasures all run between 130 and 147 (power ranges from 525s to 700s). As far as cost goes, the standard hull is 120k. There is 50k in the materials used for a 32 pleasure boat (Doug and I have talked at length about this), he does a lot of research on materials for weight, strength, and blow cycles. He could most likely do better on material cost if he was in a position to purchase them in bulk (Doug is a great guy, very very smart, and an incredible designer but he is not rich). He makes more money on the other projects that he does (aircraft parts and design, special mold and production projects, design and engineering other boats like this 28) then he does building the boats that he sells.

The 28 is estimated to be sold at 75 to 100k with no rigging, motors, or trailer. These boats are not for the average guy and are undoubtedly crazy expensive when you compare what you can buy in todays used market. However, if you want a 32 that will run in the high teens with stock XS power, it is the only option out currently out there and the handling is breath taking for its size. I think this 28 (as stated by Dale as well) will be the baddest thing out there for small water outboard power.

With all of that being said, the million $$$ answer is: a new 28 complete will be possible for just under 200k (less then a 28 skater), and a new 32 can be built complete for 250K complete. Of course there will be people that want to go over the top and they will be more.

Joe
    I knew there had been pleasure inboard 32s built, but I didn't know of any other pleasure ob 32s besides John's. I thought all the pleasure ob 32s I'd seen were converted raceboats. Sounds like the pricing will be competitive with what's out there currently, but with better performance. It's definitely possible they'll sell well (Pete is just completing two new 30s right now - one ob, one ib), so there are still some guys buying new boats at the smaller end of the big boat market. But I do think the sales will be more price driven than performance driven - as I'm quite certain you guys will have the performance end of it covered.

19. Likes Ocean goer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidlake View Post
    So I have the last 28 Skater built?
    Yup David, yours is the last one! The molds aren't even in the shop any more, so there's no new ones in the pipeline even. I honestly think yours will be the last one ever built. He's sold so few in the last decade, it's not worth taking up space in the shop any more. My '07 is #124 and I think you said your '13 is #129? That's only about 1 every two years, considering he hasn't built any after yours.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast