Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did that one work? 63 was just before my time so I don't recall ever seeing it run. just another example of the variety of boats being run back then.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived on NE 10 Ave and 82 Terr and I could hear the wing on the bay from my bedroom. I would do my chores and ask to go out to run down to the sea wall to drool on that boat. Also used to see Johnny Read running a stacker around showing off and trying to bead Dave Craig. Used to go by Skyway Marine every day to see the new racing engines in the showroom floor. Johnny and Guy Radiano SP worked there. Dave is still looking good. If you come to OFF in Tavares you can meet and greet these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by moparbarn View Post
    Never knew who he was, only remember seeing him twice. He wasn't a local, & he only showed up when the Miss Skyway wing was at Skyway Marine, & then not every time it was there. At least one time was for the Gold Coast marathon, maybe both....never saw him work on a boat, seemed to be there to kinda "oversee" things. Always alone almost seemed like he was protecting someone's investment, if that helps. Average build, brown hair, crewcut, usually in slacks, loafers & izod shirt. Never saw a corporate logo anywhere, either at Dave's or the races. Do you have a pic of Ed?
    I wasn't paying him any mind, I was just a 15 yr. old kid mesmerized by the WING I thought growing up 2 doors down from Brooke & Ronnie Russell & just up the canal from Ricky Lindheimer & Allan Revel (sp?) was about as cool as it got, but they took a back seat to working at Dave's! Heck, I used to sneak into the cockpit of the wing during lunch & make motor noises - I had it bad - LOL

3. Thanks shadowcat thanked for this post
    Likes shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    How did that one work? 63 was just before my time so I don't recall ever seeing it run. just another example of the variety of boats being run back then.
    I never saw it either. I think he built and tested it secretly. After the Six Hour fiasco at MOC, i didn't see Carl much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    I never saw it either. I think he built and tested it secretly. After the Six Hour fiasco at MOC, i didn't see Carl much.
    We didn't disappear, Butch----just got old and kinda shriveled up--

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that Gene, I meant when he built the Whale. He messed up by getting in the boat at the MOC 6 hour at the 4 hour mark. Everyone including EC told him he shouldn't. He was a head strong guy and quite capable, in better shape. He was hurt pretty bad from getting thrown out of it at the Lake. I heard two of the Lake boys got tossed also. Guess that made me the only one that didn't. He burned up the engines trying to plane off, then put me back in it. I had to pull start them, run to the front, try to get them going, they would quit, do it all over again. We were so far ahead that we were still in second place after 5 hours and 20 minutes. I made it around near the boat ramp and was pretty exhausted, I was well off the course, pulling the rope, when one engine turned me around. Judges stand was right there, Phil Young was in charge. I heard over the speaker he had disqualified me for making a u-turn on the course. I jumped out of the boat in about 3 feet of water, walked up the ramp, got in my car and left. Richie and Charlie Dunn won in the boat i was supposed to run. I think he was mad at me for a little while. That's another story.
    PS, I'm the one that got Carl and Gene to come to OFF. Spoke to them about 3 months ago. They are older and tireder than you, plus Carl has heart problems. They sure had fun when they were there though.

Treasure and Jeanne 1963 and 2008, Carl and Jeanne, the Wing discussion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seacraft 21 ladies 001.jpg   2008-June-OldRaceDriversParty-_Treasure&JM[2].jpg   OFF 10-20-13.jpg   OFF 10-20-09 050.jpg  
    Last edited by lilabner; 07-18-2015 at 09:55 AM.

7. Thanks shadowcat thanked for this post
    Likes GENE LANHAM, shadowcat, T2x liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that Gene, I meant when he built the Whale. He messed up by getting in the boat at the MOC 6 hour at the 4 hour mark. Everyone including EC told him he shouldn't. He was a head strong guy and quite capable, in better shape. He was hurt pretty bad from getting thrown out of it at the Lake. I heard two of the Lake boys got tossed also. Guess that made me the only one that didn't. He burned up the engines trying to plane off, then put me back in it. I had to pull start them, run to the front, try to get them going, they would quit, do it all over again. We were so far ahead that we were still in second place after 5 hours and 20 minutes. I made it around near the boat ramp and was pretty exhausted, I was well off the course, pulling the rope, when one engine turned me around. Judges stand was right there, Phil Young was in charge. I heard over the speaker he had disqualified me for making a u-turn on the course. I jumped out of the boat in about 3 feet of water, walked up the ramp, got in my car and left. Richie and Charlie Dunn won in the boat i was supposed to run. I think he was mad at me for a little while. That's another story..
    Hi Butch
    The 'fiasco at the 6 hour, MOC'----December 28, 1962. That was the last big race held at MOC, the new Marine Stadium would be ready for the next Orange Bowl Regatta. Dave also had problems with the wooden wing. I was driving a kneel down V-bottom Rinehart built by my cousin Robert. I went on my head before the two hour mark. Robert never even got in the boat.
    The 'E' class was won by some guys from Alcoa, TN---Jay Cox was driving a little 13' plastic bathtub---

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 07-18-2015 at 01:12 PM.

9. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene,

I was writing about two things in the same time frame. I'm old too, my brain is even older.
    We were driving the Wet Noodle in the Six Hour. I never even saw the Whale. Even forgot all I remembered about 63.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is OFF going to be like this?

Senior Pick-up Line

A very elderly gentleman, walks into an upscale cocktail lounge. He was in his mid nineties. He was very well dressed, hair well groomed, great looking suit, flower in his lapel and smelling slightly of a good after shave. He presented a very well looked after image.

Seated at the bar was an elderly really classy looking lady (mid eighties).

The sharp old gentleman walks over and sits along side of her. He orders a drink. He takes a sip.

He slowly turns to her and says: "So tell me, do I come here often?"

12. Thanks shadowcat, Magcat 62 thanked for this post
    Likes olboatman, shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene,

I was writing about two things in the same time frame. I'm old too, my brain is even older.
    We were driving the Wet Noodle in the Six Hour. I never even saw the Whale. Even forgot all I remembered about 63.
    Don't beat yourself up, Butch---

We lived (and survived) in a time of---'So many races---So little time'--

Any present day racers that can say that???

14. Thanks shadowcat thanked for this post
    Likes shadowcat, RogerH liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We came through when APBA mailed race entries to the drivers. It was not unusual to get a couple of flyers a week during the season. We just had to figure out which ones we could get to. Today not so much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    We came through when APBA mailed race entries to the drivers. It was not unusual to get a couple of flyers a week during the season. We just had to figure out which ones we could get to. Today not so much.
    When you raced equipment owned by Mercury, you were told which race to run.."You be there boy".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you raced equipment owned by Mercury, you were told which race to run.."You be there boy".

Yassuh Boss!!

18. Thanks shadowcat thanked for this post
    Likes olboatman, shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Don't beat yourself up, Butch---

We lived (and survived) in a time of---'So many races---So little time'--

Any present day racers that can say that???

My favorite memories of boat racing were from the 1960's into the early 1970's. Like you mentioned, most every weekend there was a race somewhere. Those were the days when technology did not exist. Races were won by the angle that you tied down your engine(s), the cup you pounded on your prop with the ball peen hammer, calculating how light of a fuel load you can run and still finish, and positioning the fuel load as far rear as possible and still being able to get it up on plane. Correction... I guess there was a lot of technology back then. I remember the white Merc 800's with the black trim. They seemed huge to me at 11 years old. They were the towers of power. The hulls: Reveau, Power Cat, Molinari, Magnum, Switzer Wings and a host of others are what made this era so great. I will always have a thing for the twin engine rigs. Yeah, in time the singles got faster and made the twin obsolete, but nothing looked and sounded like a twin. The BP's, Stackers and Twister l gave the spectators a real audio concert, sounds that will never be forgotten.

You guys were front and center for the best years of boat racing and built a reputation that will never be forgotten.

20. Thanks shadowcat, GENE LANHAM, Mark75H, lilabner thanked for this post
    Likes shadowcat, Mark75H, lilabner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob V- well said- and the last line is so true- I second those words!

22. Thanks GENE LANHAM, lilabner thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimboat View Post

Gene, the Switzer Wing was indeed one of the positive camber ("flat on the bottom") aerofoil shapes, wasn't it? I've always assumed this, but can you confirm that this is true?
    Looks familiar--Rich???

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 07-22-2015 at 02:56 PM.

24. Likes Mark75H, RogerH liked this post
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast