User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nova 250

0 0%
  • 31 Fountain

2 100.00%
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wellcraft Nova 250 or a 31' Fountain

I am trying to figure out which would be the better project. Here are some basic details:

The Fountain is a good base that needs to be built up but the teardown has been done already (gutted hull). It's setup for outboards already as well. It is on a worthless trailer, so that would have to be replaced.

The Nova is on a good trailer but needs a complete restoration (needs to be gutted and start over). It had twin v8s so I would have to figure out an outboard conversion method I like.

The Fountain is likely the better hull design while the Nova is a good design but has nice classic lines.

For me the cabin aspect is a plus and a negative in that I would find use for it if it's there but the open space is also nice. I like the center console layout but it does lack storage. Just looking for opinions and pros/cons.

Thanks,
    Ross

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cltch View Post
    I am trying to figure out which would be the better project. Here are some basic details:

The Fountain is a good base that needs to be built up but the teardown has been done already (gutted hull). It's setup for outboards already as well. It is on a worthless trailer, so that would have to be replaced.

The Nova is on a good trailer but needs a complete restoration (needs to be gutted and start over). It had twin v8s so I would have to figure out an outboard conversion method I like.

The Fountain is likely the better hull design while the Nova is a good design but has nice classic lines.

For me the cabin aspect is a plus and a negative in that I would find use for it if it's there but the open space is also nice. I like the center console layout but it does lack storage. Just looking for opinions and pros/cons.

Thanks,

Ross
    always think resale I think the fountain would be easier to sell down the road, but theres a expert on this site that would most likly know best I think is name is Wernher Von Braun
    Ross[/QUOTE]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ve-to-Outboard

Check out my build thread for my almost completed Wellcraft Nova 230XL. I have designed a rather unique way of building an outboard pod which would be helpful for either a Wellcraft or Fountain conversion. With a conversion to outboard do some research because from a re sale perspective you may in fact find it a more difficult market, a boat which is out side of the normal can make them more difficult to sell and or a more limited market.
    Wellcraft Nova 230 XL, 300hp Johnson.
    Seahawk 45 Sport Fisher, twin 306hp Volvo.
    Steadcraft 28, Yanmar 300hp. Sold.
    Markline 800, Volvo 300hp. Sold.
    Haines Hunter V19, Volvo 170. Sold.
    16ft 6in Figlass Sidewinder, 140 Suzuki. Sold.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wellcraft would surprise you with it's performance. They don't look fast but are. The fountain will be an easier boat to re-sale like Dirk said. I would go with the fountain....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies gentleman. Looks like the Nova is more likely, we shall see if it follows me home Thursday. I found out the Fountain had a lot more removal than I realized. I'll start a build thread once it gets going but its going to be a slow project and I don't plan on getting rid of whatever I build, so resale shouldn't be a problem.

Smoking Joe, I have looked your thread over a few times and will likely borrow a few ideas and ask some questions.

6. Likes Smoking Joe liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fountain speed & resale!