Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Please keep this post happy everyone

Pretty please? It's a good topic, I would like to keep it moving forward.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    Please keep this post happy everyone

Pretty please? It's a good topic, I would like to keep it moving forward.

Greg
    that was a picture of my daughter I thought everyone would get a kick seeing her crying because daddys buying another boat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ing View Post
    I know for a fact Kevin at Progression would build a 27 with a single 400R. Velocity also had interest in doing a single 400R on their VR1 hull but with Steve Stepp on the outs from the factory I'm not sure I'd trust anyone else to set that boat up. Rich Sutphen Sr. is also getting back into the game but you'd probably need twins on his 31 hull because of the weight.
    now that you brought it up Progression would be a perfect marriage with a single 400 r, my hole concept was to built something in 27 to 28 foot range that would have respectable speeds, and outstanding rough water capabilities, even though the 21"s with x's run in the mid nintys and some north of 100mph ( and I know because I owned 3 of them and drove them MYSELF without the aid of a babysitter) without the initial outlay of large amounts of money vs twins or a behemoth 588 Sterling that needs a number 6 drive and a prop thats costs $3500.00, but of course there is the opposite opinion that it would be boring, boring to me is having someone build something for me and sitting in the passanger seat while someone else drives it.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ing View Post
    I know for a fact Kevin at Progression would build a 27 with a single 400R. Velocity also had interest in doing a single 400R on their VR1 hull but with Steve Stepp on the outs from the factory I'm not sure I'd trust anyone else to set that boat up. Rich Sutphen Sr. is also getting back into the game but you'd probably need twins on his 31 hull because of the weight.
    now that you brought it up Progression would be a perfect marriage with a single 400 r, my hole concept was to built something in 27 to 28 foot range that would have respectable speeds, and outstanding rough water capabilities, even though the 21"s with x's run in the mid nintys and some north of 100mph ( and I know because I owned 3 of them and drove them MYSELF without the aid of a babysitter)(or even worse, building something and take pictures of it sitting on a trailer,)without the initial outlay of large amounts of money vs twins or a behemoth 588 Sterling that needs a number 6 drive and a prop thats costs $3500.00, maybe more, but of course there is the opposite opinion that it would be boring, boring to me is having someone build something for me and sitting in the passanger seat while someone else drives it.......
    Last edited by Dirk Pitt; 07-01-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell us how you really feel!!
    27 Progression IO 22 Progression 300xs sold http://youtu.be/_K8boEfKrx4

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread shows why we all have different boats. They are not a one size fits all thing. That Tuff would look good sitting in my shop with any size merc motor. So buy it, rig it, run it...Do it as a single for now if you like, you can always add another 400R when things get boring.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alas Life is all about compromise.....Cost Vs Speeds Vs. Comfort (depending in waters running in) Vs. body abuse limits ! thinking about all the fun variables could keep anyone up all night.

You seem to have had the best of the best in most sizes already so what about a 24 OB Progression low deck w/ 400 OB or 777 ?

Just give me an old boat and reliable motor.
    Last edited by dnelson964; 07-02-2015 at 05:33 AM.
    1990 22' Activator Yami HPDI 300-sold-86.4
    1976 21' Challenger 2002 3.1 Yami 250 Vmax phase lll 89.7-sold
    1982 21' Superboat 300merc-87
    1990 22' Activator yami OX66 Vmax 250-84.2
    1982 30' Scarab-twin 200 Merc-sold
    1979 21' Challenger 300 Evenrude-sold
    1979 21' Superboat 200 Merc-sold-72

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Progression 24ld with a 400r merc would be a interesting to see.
    27 Progression IO 22 Progression 300xs sold http://youtu.be/_K8boEfKrx4

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 28 tuff with a 400 O/B will run circles around what was previously available in a hull that style! the 27 squadron[which I consider the same,but old school] with a 400hp cyclone and trs wouldn't run high 60's, best seen was about 64 with a good prop! We should consider ourselves lucky to have the option of a single outboard on a hull this size! I don't play guessing games with boat numbers until the facts are in, but I know the tuff/400 o/b combo will make someone really happy! I'd be in it right now on my way to work if I owned one!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other builder I forgot to mention who is very motivated to build a single OB is Will Smith at Phantom with his 30 Phantom OB.
    Ing
    Semper Fi!
    Sold the Talon
    Sold the Pantera
    Sold the Renegade
    2022 Monterey M65
    "Yup...I'm old"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to Canada (Tuff) on Wednesday to see a 28 and also 21's hopefully I will get some seat time in both but my main objective is to evaluate the 28 to see what power options I could consider if all goes well maybe there will be tuff boat on long island should i take a side trip Sterling.?!or NASA.
    Ill take some pics and post them.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt View Post
    I'm going to Canada (Tuff) on Wednesday to see a 28 and also 21's hopefully I will get some seat time in both but my main objective is to evaluate the 28 to see what power options I could consider if all goes well maybe there will be tuff boat on long island should i take a side trip Sterling.?!or NASA.
    I'll be with you in spirit You know me and Canada don't get along.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt View Post
    You absolutely should stop by and see Mike or talk to Tony before you go spend $100k+ on a new 28 w/ a single 400 that will get waxed by any guy in a decently setup inboard or twin outboard. I've been through this before - my 30 Skater that ended up with Sterlings and Arnesons started out to be an outboard rig......but I got smart and realized that if I was going to spend $250k to build a new outboard boat that would barely run over 100, I might as well spend $400k and go 150+. If you've got the money to buy a new Tuf 28 (they're not cheap), why wouldn't you spend the additional money to give it what it deserves - a kick-ass FAST rig with correct cg. That new Merc 400R is $35K with steering. A new 588 Sterling w/ ASD7 and steering is $75k - is it not worth an additional $40k on a $100k+ purchase to do it right? I'd way rather have $150k into an awesome rig than $100k into a rig that's going to get walked on by most performance boats on the water........ But that's just how I think!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    You absolutely should stop by and see Mike or talk to Tony before you go spend $100k+ on a new 28 w/ a single 400 that will get waxed by any guy in a decently setup inboard or twin outboard. I've been through this before - my 30 Skater that ended up with Sterlings and Arnesons started out to be an outboard rig......but I got smart and realized that if I was going to spend $250k to build a new outboard boat that would barely run over 100, I might as well spend $400k and go 150+. If you've got the money to buy a new Tuf 28 (they're not cheap), why wouldn't you spend the additional money to give it what it deserves - a kick-ass FAST rig with correct cg. That new Merc 400R is $35K with steering. A new 588 Sterling w/ ASD7 and steering is $75k - is it not worth an additional $40k on a $100k+ purchase to do it right? I'd way rather have $150k into an awesome rig than $100k into a rig that's going to get walked on by most performance boats on the water........ But that's just how I think!
    i agree with doing it right and yes it wont be fast, but if it could run in the 80's with a single ob, thats pretty respectable, but theres one caviot, buying these things is one thing but look at the maintainence with one 75000.00 sterlings, what happens after two years? pull the motor? send it back to Deanaball for a 35000.00 freshen up,?yes the Arnoson is bullit proof, but these high rev high boost 588"s can be a handfull to maintain and lastly when I go and sell $200000.00 28 ft v bottom Id have to take a loan out to cover the losses, if there is even a buyer for something like that, at least in the worst case senario i would be able to part out a ob, I always try to look ahead because I change boats pretty freguently....that must be one bad skater love to see some pictures
    Last edited by Dirk Pitt; 07-04-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the boat will be fun until Hoser passes you in his 21.... Then you will be buying that second motor lol

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast