Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Memorial day. To my Nam Vets..Welcome home!

46 years ago me, but like yesterday. And AC DC music? PRICELESS!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JhcTXTFh4Sk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Thanks lilabner thanked for this post
    Likes lilabner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And of course, Bob Hope. Never saw because "out in the bush"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kODDgJRYF5I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACDC wrote a ton of stuff in the late 70's for sure influenced by Vietnam
    I wonder if they could have been drafted in OZ which we stopped in 72?
    Angus missed by 1 year.

Here's a tear jerker for an Ozzie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urtiyp-G6jY
    Last edited by powerabout; 05-26-2015 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never knew of that and damn good. Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Damn, I gotta share this with ya. When there, had a 3 day"R+R" Decided just to get away a bit and simple did a 3 day "relax" at protected Quin Non on the south China sea and do some "surfing" But there was a NZ band playing for us somewhere! 3 guys, one girl singer! Later meet them at the beach and started "yakking them". DAMN! They all never shut up and also had "big noses"..SAME ME! Great time them BSing the beach..(plus looking at a "round eye girl for a change? We parted ways as they needed to jump a plane home. But I had 7 months left and got the damn best hugs from all and say.."go home safe for us PLEASE? Musta worked as that was 46 years ago, And I'll never forget them either! Its the little things life, as people.that make life worth living..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One more guys..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0_-T0JJRSnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Home..

49 years ago for me Robby. Always in the bush also, but did get to see Ann Margaret in Chu Lai. Got back to my firebase and everyone had gone on OP Utah.. A bad one for sure. Ended up making sure the generator kept running and guarding the ammo dump.

Semper Fi.

Butch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Welcome Home..

49 years ago for me Robby. Always in the bush also, but did get to see Ann Margaret in Chu Lai. Got back to my firebase and everyone had gone on OP Utah.. A bad one for sure. Ended up making sure the generator kept running and guarding the ammo dump.

Semper Fi.

Butch
    Chu Lai brings back a funny/scary mem me! HS friend that went in with us ended up Chu Lai in communications. Knew I was in Pleiku. Well, as ya know you just didn't get "phone calls" in Nam unless a death back home family. Get called HQ and damnit, its George! Scared the hell out of me but made my day too. Its the little things there ya never forget!

10. Thanks KickIn Chicken thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chu Lia brings back mem too, got to see Bob Hope and Ann Margaret from 2nd roll front center, 1967-1968 .
    That's were I got to be know as a "KickIn Chicken"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KC01.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	321771

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KickIn Chicken View Post
    Chu Lia brings back mem too, got to see Bob Hope and Ann Margaret from 2nd roll front center, 1967-1968 .
    That's were I got to be know as a "KickIn Chicken"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KC01.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	321771
    Well first off.."Welcome home". And finally a first post here? At least a good one. Join the crazies here as few us Nam Vets, and only a Nam Vet will ever understand another Nam Vet. We got a "special language" rest won't understand. Or I should say like a saying I have here a bumper sticker my "Nam Shadow Box" I made...."For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know". Also had a friend who went there in 67. Killed the first month there. Plus my super childhood buddy, "Stevie", who was born 1949 News Years Day but killed Christmas Eve when wrong coordinates sent in the artillery hit them and 12 killed. RIP Jack and Stevie. And I was your "Replacement" as got there May 1969. Only one vacation (tour) and got the hell out in one piece the day, still "loosely connected" but still in one piece! . And Ann Margaret is a FOX! And God Bless Bob for his dedication. When people were people who cared for each other. Regardless, race, religion, famous or a share croppers son. Sad the 59,000+ who never came home, but many did and we are WAY better for it, ..as.."learned REAL life"...at "19"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robby and Kickin Chicken were you Jarheads also?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Robby and Kickin Chicken were you Jarheads also?
    Not me as a RA..(enlisted, not drafted as needed some "new excitement life any way", as tossed out HS anyway senior year after 4 months off a junior when in a car accident T boned (not driving but middle seat front and all 3 us tossed out and cracked my back in L2 L4) Senior tossed HS for "smoking in my car", leaving early for a court date for my 650 Triumph for "load mufflers' HA! Ran straight pipes! So it was either "summer school", or my mom who knew me "well", said to me one day? "Look, ya a smart kid and got street smarts and if you keep this up, you will end up in jail. Go in the service and get some REAL discipline! Maybe go Nam, but burn off some that "energy"

Well I did. Long story short here? I got out that hell hole, home Ohare now and took a cab home "unannounced" mom and dad. Cab driver ( I saw the meter, $27) and gave him 2 $20's "Keep the change" What does he do? Gives it back and said.."welcome home, and on me!" So I go the back door house and dad taking a nap the couch. Walked in and he about fell over! Yelled out "Peggy, guess whose here?" Mom in the kitchen looks up and see's me and damn near FAINTED! Then she takes me in the living room where the Christmas tree (not real) stayed lite until I came home. Underneath? EVER damn letter I wrote home AND (still have it) any pix sent in a album!

To me "getting kicked out the nest and grow up?" Damn sure worked, and also I been "damn lucky in life"..why?..I dunno.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,
    Was regular Army volunteer RA 129760396 , join right out of high school, had a very interesting MOS "Combat Surveillance Radar" (26C40) came in country Dec 1967 and left Dec 1968.
    My whole family on both sides, Mother and Father all were Marines -- raised as a Marine brat
    I did get to work with some Marines "Third Marine Div." in Hue during TET 68.

"WE All Know Freedom Is Not Free, Some Of Us Gave Some And Some Gave ALL"

My God Bless the USA now more than every

Charlie Evans
    Leesburg, Georgia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly Marines when I was in Chu Lai. Arrived there as 0842 Counter Mortar Radar Operator. Tracked incoming Mortar rounds. Left as an 0848 E5 Asst Operations Chief. Had moved to FDC in a 105 Battery..Golf 3/11 1st Mar Div.

Butch Stokes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry if I'm "getting nostalgic" here as many war Vets simple "do not want to talk about it"? WHY? Hold it in like did NOT happen? Let it OUT! ME? Mech/spare gunner rear convoys 2Corp, fire bases supplies with food ammo water beer smokes and the best "letters from home"! And those who got a "box" with "moms homemade brownies"! Shared with all "Brothers in arms". But to tell ya the truth me? I love talking "then". BUT! Many we had to say "seya later" after re supplied? Sad me waving back and back when ya need something. Many never made it "home" next run as days them that "soggy hot jungle" took them home a "pine box" (after taking out TO go home, as we left NO ONE behind

Anyway..ACDC on my mind again...and ? And only 19, found out Nam is free beer whiskey bullets smokes and (puff able "Thia stick foot longs" for a buck"? (and the $5 a night in the village young girls?) It was not ALL that bad..but at other times? "Payback"!

ACDC..chopper jocks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZjCFFIGmfy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast