Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 late 80s 175 OMC not running, parts worth much?

I have a guy near me that has 2 late 80s 175 complete motors that I could get real cheap. I think one has a bad cylinder and the other has a cracked block. are the heads or other parts from these motors worth much and is there a demand for them? both gearcases and tilt and trim are supposed to be good. I have some outboard parts that seem to take months even years to sell, then other stuff seems to sell fast. I was wondering how fast the heads and carbs and intakes would sell off of these motors and what they might sell for???? I got some other deals too and do not want to tie up my money on these motors if they will move slow. he will also throw in an old merc 65 I think it was and a 90s 115 OMC with a bad cylinder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those 175's are big bore high-port blocks. 160 cubes. Actually a de-tuned 235. They have large bore 1 3/8" carbs, useful to the crossflow hot rodders. The factory heads are low compression and not worth anything. If you have two good vented flywheels, they are valuable-as they have been discontinued from the factory and hard to find on the open market. Obviously, the lower units and trim systems have value. With two powerheads and 12 pistons, you might be able to put one good block together and sell one as a complete engine.... They should have the vented cowls with XP/GT badging, which are occasionally sought after.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure about these being big blocks? I will get some model numbers off of them, but I thought that 175s were the same block as the 150. nada shows the weight of a 1988 150 to be 386 and the weight of a 175 to be 400 but the weight on a 200 is 450-455. But, They did look pretty frikin big when I looked at them, now that I think about it they do look to be the same size as a 200 I use to have. I thought about putting a complete engine together but I have been having very slow sales around here and these older motors just are not bringing much. maybe $1200-1500 in very good condition. I got a 85HP motor that has been for sale for months now, a guy offered me $750 on it but it is in perfect condition and clean as a whistle so I am holding out for $900. they do have cowls but they are all faded/old but looked to be in good condition.
    thanks for the help..just trying to decide what to invest my money into.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are they flat-back or bubble back motors?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am pretty sure that they were flat back.. but I did not pay close attention.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The early crossflow 175's were flatbacks. Actually small bore 150 engines with large carbs. In model year 1986 and later, the crossflow 175 was a big bore block with the bubble back exhaust. When you said the year was a late 80's block, I assumed you have a big bore 175. If they are flatback engines, they have little value from a powerhead standpoint. Tons of them around.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks a lot. that is great information. I did not know that. I did not know what I was looking for so I could have over looked the bubble backs. I did not check the model numbers to determine year. they just looked like late 80s to me.
    I will go take another look, if they are the bubble backs I may see if I can get the whole pile for $300 or so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth 300 for the lowers and tilt&trim units

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    Worth 300 for the lowers and tilt&trim units
    yea I know. I got a 25" lower that I have had for sale for over a year though. $250.. no sale. It is on ebay now, I sold a 20" V-4 case the other day on there. just slow sales around here. maybe I should market my stuff better.