Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1986 baja sunsport 16' floor resto

Hi, I bought my first boat last year a 1986 baja sunsport 16' and noticed that the front seats (which i hadnt noticed till i bought it) were rotten.. it appears to be wood fiberglassed into the hull. I was planning on redoing this but am wondering, (as i have no experience at all) if i just fiberglass the new piece of plywood into the boat and no screwing at all is done? i have not ripped out all of the carpet yet just took a sample to buy some new pieces so i imagine i'll have a bit of an idea once i start ripping it out. i got to the floor of the boat and i know people talk about the floor being wood but it appears my floor is fiberglass? the whole floor feels solid but i just wanted to make sure since the wood in the front is rotten. if the floor feels solid is there any point to ripping it out?

to summarize:

is my floor likely wood with fiberglass over it? any way to check for it to be rotten without doing any damage? do i just fiberglass in the front wood seats?

sorry about the sporadic thoughts and bad layout of this thread.. i am exhausted right now! thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '84 16 foot Baja had plywood in the floor, it was rotted near the back. It's only wood where the floor is level, glassed into the hull. If it's solid, leave it and just build new seat bases.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a054.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	413.6 KB 
ID:	320097

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a078.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	320098
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply! i managed to rip all the carpet out... the floor seems solid except for 1 small area near the back seat which had a screw fall out and allowed water to seep in. the rest of the area around it seems solid its only about an 8"x8" patch that is soft so i was going to cut it out at a 45 degree angle and put another piece in and fiberglass over that as well as repair the seats in the front that are rotted away. Does this sound like an alright plan to you to spot patch repair the area on the floor? also, did you have any foam under the deck or is there none? were your stringers solid? Thanks i appreciate it!!