Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Intro / New Boat / Ride Guide System Replacement?

I've been a long time stalker and big fan of this site and contemplating a "Scream-and-Fly worthy" boat for many years. But I've never been able to get away from the "practicality" of standard open bows, fishing boats, cruisers, etc. all of which I've owned over my many years and have been on watching our local summer drag boat races thinking "someday I'm gonna go fast too!".

Still perhaps borderline "high performance" by many's standards, I just bought an early 90's Mach II open bow Concord with a 200hp Mercury hanging on the back. Very excited to start a new chapter of high(er) performance boating which for me means clearing the 50 - 60mph mark! Still a open bow family boat, but at a new level for me of speed.

So now the questions start. I've already answered many engine questions through searching but haven't found a clear direction on replacing (?) a Dual-Cable Ride Guide system. The steering is very stiff and while I'd really REALLY prefer to just replace the cables, everything I'm researching shows they were hard to come by 3-4 years ago so they're likely almost impossible to find today I assume (?). The cable ends were dry as a bone and had a gunk build up on them. So I've greased them which didn't help enough. Next step will be to pull them from the tubes and try to clean and lube the rest of the end (and verify it's actually the cables). I've also read about trying to penetrate some lube "into" the cable with air which I can try but I'm pretty confident I'll be looking for a new system. On to my question...

What replacement system would you recommended for a dual cable Ride Guide system? I see a lot of "opinions" on a dual cable Teleflex NFB which makes me question them (?). If money was no object, seems like a hydraulic system would be easier to install and functionally sufficient but hard to swallow a $1000+ bill on this ride. I also understand one issue I'll be needing to figure out is the helm cut-out being too big for any replacement system and the need to replace the steering wheel (?). Being a family / ski-boat, I'm not looking for anything outrageous, just something to be able to handle the occasional high speed run and constant turns of tubing without the workout.

Let me know if I've got this all correct, any input and or if I'm missing something in regard to an obvious, easy to install, and less expensive alternative. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Hess; 05-13-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have 4 options, find some used cables, Teleflex dual cable in 1 rack system, dual rotary system, or hydraulic. Any will work fine on your rig. I have done all on boats that had ride guide with no problems. Any of said systems can be adjusted to very little play good enough for a 50-60 mph boat.
    Last edited by perfmarine1; 05-14-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to S&F. A Mach II open bow with a 200 Mariner was the boat my dad taught me to work on and learn with. You're going to love it. I'd go with Hydraulic-look around on Ebay too
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

Scream & Fly Flying Machine of the Month:
    September 2005

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ild&highlight=

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    New cables are still around but it takes patience and diligence to find them.

One option not mentioned is try lubing the existing cables. Several people have had good luck with this method. I would however, NOT use Neversieze in the brew of lubricant, it can cause unwanted chemical reactions with the metals involved.

http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/Luber.htm
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

I checked out the Hydrostream luber method and that's intriguing. One challenge I have is the boat is now in the water on a dock without power (for adding compressed air) and opening the gate to the launch is a bigger hassle than it ever should be (private lake... don't ask). So I search a little more and find a couple more "innovators" (links below). First "improvement" I found was using a hose instead of a galvanized pipe. Then I found a guy showing he used a weed sprayer pump for the compression. And on top of that, he didn't even remove the cables from the tubes. That one is so easy I might just have to give it a try. Seems like some guys try to flush em out and some just run light weight synthetic into them with results. Makes sense (?).

Of course, all this research also included what I believe I'll inevitably have to replace them with and seems like the Teleflex dual cable system would be the cheaper / easiest route to take.

http://basscatowners.yuku.com/topic/4615#.VVTylvlViko

http://www.bbcboards.net/clever-tips...ex-cables.html