Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93' Evinrude V6 Limited Edition correct RPM's and miss

Hey,

I am running an Evinrude V6 Limited Edition (Mod. # E200STLESE) and am needing some help! I am running this on a 21' Norris Craft and am turning a 24' Raker at 6500+ RPMs, or atleast I was until I realized how high the RPM's were.

What is the right RPM range for this motor? The engine feels stout and has more pedal left but it was cutting out at any additional pedal (probably because the RPM's, which I didn't realize at first.)

It also has a dead miss at idle. What would be the cause of this and does anyone have any recommendations?

This is my first Rude as I have always run 2.5 Merc's in the past but this is what came on the boat and what I am going to run for now. As stated, it seems like a good engine and plenty strong but any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! It has stock heads, well I figure that it does by the 100 to 90 lb compression readings. It also has the VRO unhooked and I am running it pre-mix at 50:1.

Thanks for all of your help!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    follow the instructions in my sig. to fix your skip. sounds like your prop is slipping a lot. a 200 HP motor on a 21' boat with a 24 pitch prop should be turning low 5k or mid to high 4k rpms. I got a 200 on the back of 23 boat with a 17 pitch prop and it maxes out at about 5800 RPM unloaded. I would imagine that your boat should need a 19 or 21 pitch prop to get into that same RPM range which is where you want to be. 6K rpm max. 5800 best. your prop is too high and sucking air or the hub is slipping. just so you know a gear ratio of 1.86 with a 24 pitch prop and a %15 slip ratio which all should be about right for your boat would put you at about 67 MPH. my guess is that you are doing about 40-50 tops. so either your motor is mounted too high or you trimmed up too much or your prop is slipping on the hub. you should figure out what is going on. I see that you have a 20" shaft motor. maybe your boat probably requires a 25" long shaft motor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YAMmounting height.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	318710
    Last edited by Sparkieboat; 04-27-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You rpm limiter is 6700 rpms that is why it's cutting out on high rpms. You need more pitch or lower you motor. What is your prop shaft in relation to the bottom of the boat?
    Your miss at idle is one cyl or more? Motor has a switch that shuts off 3 cyls for easier shifting and it may be out of adjustment.
    Rpm's will be ok anywhere between 5700 and 6400.

TMc

1984 Allison XR2002
    1987 2.7 Fuel Injected Evinrude
    16" Taylor mid
    Brucato ACU.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The propshaft is about 1"- 1/2" below the pad. (It has a low water intake on it and keeps water pressure at 20-30 lbs.) The Norris Craft weighs about 1,200 lbs the way it sits. It was running atleast 70 the other day, I have run a lot of boats and it was getting along but the RPM's were ridiculous.

I can not tell exactly how many cylinders the miss at idle is... It just sounded like a dead miss (like air blowing by something) but it only did it at idle after it was warmed up. As stated, I am completely new to Rudes and am pretty happy with the engine thus far I just want to get it going right!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add that the guy I bought the boat off of said he has gps'd the boat at 82, I just hope he wasn't turning the motor that high the whole time!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's that lite you gonna need more prop pitch at least a 28 pitch.

TMc

1984 Allison XR2002
    1987 2.7 Fuel Injected Evinrude
    16" Taylor mid
    Brucato ACU.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you may very well need a higher pitch prop then. here is a site where you can calculate the slippage. http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm
    You will need to know your gear ratio, most of those motors had 1.86 I think. maybe you got a different ratio. that would make a big difference.
    You may consider testing ourt a few different props if you can find someone who has some that big laying around. But I would start with a 28 as suggested, you should drop around 200 RPMs per pitch up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! Now I just have to figure out where I am going to find some props to test in the Nashville area... Are the prop shaft splines on a Rude similar to either Yamahas or Mercs? My dad has a 27 large ear chopper on a Yamaha 220 special I might borrow/rob if it would work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some props have interchangeable hubs where you can just knock out the old hub and push the new one in yourself. most hub kits are around $50, but that would be a good investment to test that prop. that sounds like what you may need. google the make and model of the prop and see if the hub is interchangeable.