Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure looks like you solved a problem I had with timing belts in the early 70s. I found that I couldn't get timing belts without excessive slack. This made accurate timing impossible. Your setup looks to correct that issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    It sure looks like you solved a problem I had with timing belts in the early 70s. I found that I couldn't get timing belts without excessive slack. This made accurate timing impossible. Your setup looks to correct that issue.
    No credit here! Thanks to Droll and everyone's input ...I'm hoping its the right fix...Ill keep everyone posted how how it runs and will post video....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    99fxt99 Do you mean that they recommended 1.5 times the normal ratio of 50 to 1 (37.5 to 1) Thanks Gary
    Gary, yes.
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the older Mercury motors like the 44 ci 50 I found going up to double oil in the mix worked very well. These motors didn't need as much Octane rating as the later designs and the extra oil seemed to help with ring sealing and prolong the life of the rings and bearings. We often ran these motors several hours on a typical race weekend and endurance races of 3 hours or more were common. If I managed to avoid getting the motors wet, losing a water pump or getting torn down at a race these motors would run a couple of seasons with only basic maintenance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the older Mercury motors like the 44 ci 50 I found going up to double oil in the mix worked very well. These motors didn't need as much Octane rating as the later designs and the extra oil seemed to help with ring sealing and prolong the life of the rings and bearings. We often ran these motors several hours on a typical race weekend and endurance races of 3 hours or more were common. If I managed to avoid getting the motors wet, losing a water pump or getting torn down at a race these motors would run a couple of seasons with only basic maintenance.
    What was the original ratio for the 1950s vintage Mercs.....had a old super hurricane 10 but can't remember the ratio I used(25 to 1 maybe?). Sucks to get old!!! Thanks Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25 to 1 sounds about right. By the 70s they had all gone to 50 to 1. I don't remember exactly when that took place. The claim was that the oils were better so less was needed. I just kept running the new oil at the old ratio and never suffered a lubrication related failure. The most common problem was sticking pistons due to water pump failure or water pickup issues. The older motors with the solid flywheels wound break the crank right at #1 throw but the flexplate flywheels cured most of this problem. Some guys had problems with reed failures but for some reason I never had one fail.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25 to 1 sounds about right. By the 70s they had all gone to 50 to 1. I don't remember exactly when that took place. The claim was that the oils were better so less was needed. I just kept running the new oil at the old ratio and never suffered a lubrication related failure. The most common problem was sticking pistons due to water pump failure or water pickup issues. The older motors with the solid flywheels wound break the crank right at #1 throw but the flexplate flywheels cured most of this problem. Some guys had problems with reed failures but for some reason I never had one fail.
    I remember reed failures in the 70s also when my friend was racing B Hydro and B Utility. I think I remember some were dicken with the reed thickness and F---ed up and sanded them to thin!!! But I can't tell ya what I did last week! LOL Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran OPC stuff back then and we had to run stock reeds at the stock reed stop settings. One of the first thing an inspector looked at on teardown was the reed blocks. I have heard that reed failure could be related to driving technique. Large and frequent throttle changes can lead to premature reed failures. I do not know if there is anything to this theory however.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran my T2X at the Romp in NY over the past 4 days happy to report...The Timing Pulley's and belt stood up fine did some solid runs with it and other than the fly wheel bolts loosening up had No timing issues!! I ran 91 none ethanol at a 31:1 mix with out any issue's. I do feel I will have to Check my #4 #5 carbs the plugs are black with oil and all the others are fine?.....I will post pic's of the boat running and the plugs AGAIN MY THANKS TO ALL for the input!.......Ed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Gen View Post
    Ran my T2X at the Romp in NY over the past 4 days happy to report...The Timing Pulley's and belt stood up fine did some solid runs with it and other than the fly wheel bolts loosening up had No timing issues!! I ran 91 none ethanol at a 31:1 mix with out any issue's. I do feel I will have to Check my #4 #5 carbs the plugs are black with oil and all the others are fine?.....I will post pic's of the boat running and the plugs AGAIN MY THANKS TO ALL for the input!.......Ed
    3rd Gen, would you consider bringing yourself and your T2x tunnel to an APBA Vintage and Historic event? You and your rig would fit right in; we would love to have you as part of the group. Email me for details (jtigerjr@hotmail.com) if you're interested.

John Tiger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John I would love to see you again! You met me at Lake George and hauled my T2X out to me in piece's.I'll email you tonight and see whats going on this year and when Thanks Ed Loved your article in Propeller " Old Outboard Racers Never Die" My wife and children said it described me to a "T" LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by JWTjr. View Post
    3rd Gen, would you consider bringing yourself and your T2x tunnel to an APBA Vintage and Historic event? You and your rig would fit right in; we would love to have you as part of the group. Email me for details (jtigerjr@hotmail.com) if you're interested.

John Tiger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John I would love to see you again! You met me at Lake George and hauled my T2X out to me in piece's.I'll email you tonight and see whats going on this year and when Thanks Ed Loved your article in Propeller " Old Outboard Racers Never Die" My wife and children said it described me to a "T" LOL
    Very cool Ed, I'll look forward to your email. I do remember meeting you a few years back up in Hague at Rogers Rock, and indeed it would be great to see that T2x running after hauling it's parts all that way. Thank you also for your kind words on the Propeller story. BTW, that story is actually a reprint from an article I wrote for BoatUS Magazine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    other than the fly wheel bolts loosening up
    Better fuel will help that
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pill for stupid!
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    Better fuel will help that

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in MASS. are you? I am originally from Dighton.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast