Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 1993 Bullet 20xd with a 98 225 promax SS, boat run light loaded 87, Had a chance to trade for a 20inch 225 20inch Promax same year model,
    Traded engines , I didn't lose or gain anything, other than the 20inch didn't swamp as the SS did. It never was a issue either.
    With the 15inch, that thing sounded bad !! Didn't have to feather the throttle coming of plain with the 20inch engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    You could always add negative wedges to gain down trim.

What motor and mid is currently on your bass boat?
    I have a 99 Mercury 2.5 200 with a 20" mid. I already have 5 degree wedges. Something I am trying to get rid of is a tendency to hop/bounce 4-5 times once the nose lays over and when I slow down and come off plane. This engine/jackplate is right at 100 pounds heavier than the engine I took off and I have a 19 gallon fuel tank now instead of the two 6 gallon tanks that were there when I got the boat.
    Souks I move the trolling motor battery to the front in an effort to redistribute some weight?

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been experimenting with sand bags. You can move them all around and at least get an idea of what will change.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CNC_Guy View Post
    I've been experimenting with sand bags. You can move them all around and at least get an idea of what will change.
    Dave
    Thanks Dave,
    that's a good idea. I dint have sand bags but u have quite a few 40lb bags of top soil and some 25lb bags of weed-n-feed.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used Mercury 15" mids are selling for over $4000. With the shorter drive shaft that is needed this can be an expensive project. I do not feel is worth the money unless racing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your just trying to get rid of the hop, do you have a planer on your cavitation plate? That should help some. The mid wont make much of a difference in that area. I don't think I've read it yet but if you swap to a factory Mercury 15" mid then you will be adding another 2" of setback that's built into the mid. That will make your added weight even worse. I didn't catch what kind of bass boat you have but if its not made for a 15" motor then you can run into problems with the rigging hitting the top edge of the transom when tilted up. In your case it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe427 View Post
    If your just trying to get rid of the hop, do you have a planer on your cavitation plate? That should help some. The mid wont make much of a difference in that area. I don't think I've read it yet but if you swap to a factory Mercury 15" mid then you will be adding another 2" of setback that's built into the mid. That will make your added weight even worse. I didn't catch what kind of bass boat you have but if its not made for a 15" motor then you can run into problems with the rigging hitting the top edge of the transom when tilted up. In your case it doesn't seem like a good idea.
    I haven't swapped mids, I have decided to focus on other things. I wanted it for looks mostly but the expense is not an option at this time.

I do have a plate mounted to my cavitation plate, a friend is a machinist and he copied a Bob's.
    I guess my next step is to move some weight around and see what happens. I'd try it without the jackplate if I could get the engine high enough on the transom. The boat is a1977 Cobra Phantom 17'.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My post was meant for if your cutting down a 20" to 15" The cost of a factory 15" is ridiculous so if you want a 15" cutting down a 20" is an option but has its negatives as well. Both of mine were cut by Marty Powel. Great guy to do business with and great quality and strength
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2