Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1979 Witchcraft, no clue what I've got!

I stumbled across this pretty little gem in a storage lot behind a pawn shop. After a couple of phone calls (small town life is great!) I was able to track down the owner.

I made an incredibly low offer and he took it, should have offered even less but I thought my original offer was insulting to start with!

Owner said it was running when it was parked there 2 years ago but doesn't know anything about the boat. It has FL registration but resides in OK..

The motor is a 1997 Mercury 150 EFI, no clue what kind of condition the motor is in. I didn't get a chance to run compression test on it or anything. Hopefully I've got something that can be brought back to life without breaking the bank too badly. Been looking for a little boat for awhile and this one seems to fit the bill..

Not a lot of info out there on Witchcrafts. I think the model is a "Banshee" but I can't confirm it..

I didnt see an oil tank in the boat so I assume its premix. Besides some new plugs, fresh fuel (and new tank/bulb/line), some starting fluid and a new battery, is there anything I need to prep for before hitting the go button to see if she will start?

Anybody have a guess as to what this boat will run with a 150 on it? Im thinking somewhere in the low to mid 50's..

The interior is completely rotted out, can't even push on the seats without them crumbling. But the transom sounds solid and no water collecting in the boat.

Anyone recognize this boat by chance?

24 Skater w/ 300 Promaxes "99 Problems"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very similar to Kona but not quite the same. Had a Kona, drove a Witchcraft waaaay back. Liked the Witchcraft better.
    Both were heavy boats compared to todays' hulls.
    Not an all out performer but a Cadillac ride in small chop.
    Your speed estimate is about right.

If you got it cheap enough and the motor's a keeper, clean up the boat and flip it for something better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 1972 Kona 17ft and it looked exactly like this boat. So may copies back then. Who copied who? Never know i guess. I really loved that boat. It started out with a 100 hp Evinrude and last motor i had on it was a new 1980 175 merc. I circle raced it for a while till i got my Comp Vector.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a 77 with a 140 Erude.
    boat was built like a tank, solid & heavy.
    clean it up, new seats and you'll have a good little fun runabout.
    as for the motor, depending on how long it's been sitting I'd be inclined to give the cylinders a shot of oil in each and turn it over with the starter and DON'T use starter fluid. If that efi system has a vst tank drain it and see what comes out. No point in trying to fill the motor with snotty old fuel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, upon further inspection the boat needs a considerable amount of work to be water ready. A quick turn around is no longer in the cards. Floor, transom and stringer is bad. The boat only has one stringer in it, right down the middle of the keel. I cut most of the floor out yesterday. Hoping to pull the motor tomorrow if the weather holds out and get to grinding..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea that sort of stuff can be expected in an older boat. Bright side is that when you are finished with it you will have a good boat that you know all about.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....And built considerably stronger than original.. Gathering parts now.. I dont think Im going back with the rear jumper benches and two buckets in the interior. I think Im going to go with a couple of mid buckets and a rear bench with a place for the cooler behind it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the boat has a bad transom, bad stringer and bad floor in it.. Decided to take it over to the fiberglass shop and have them start on it.. There's only one stringer in the boat and it runs right down the center of the keel. Going to add a little more floor bracing to it and redo everything plus add a bulkhead under the front deck to stiffen things up a bit. Maybe by the 4th of July she'll float again, we'll see. Gathering parts now!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dad had that boat. a 77, i think. He had a Merc 1150 on it, SS 19P prop. flat out would do 42 MPH, started to chine walk a bit at 40. Handled great. One problem, the bottom of the deck wasnt glassed, and the center stringer, or keel, didnt have any way to drain the port side. I remamber replacing the floor in a weekend.

Will