Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1997 Mercury 175 EFI Mods??

Hi guys,
    Im new to Scream and Fly and Im looking for a little guidance on what performance mods are out there for the 175 EFI. The boat that it is rigged on is a Ranger 690VS, which is deeper and heavier than a bass boat and only rate for 175. I feel this hull shouldve been rated for 225. I fish musky tournements and I NEED MORE POWER AND SPEED!!! Where do I start with upgrades to this engine, I realize it is a 2.5 and I have seen many different versions of the 2.5 block. 225 Promax ECM? Hi compression heads? Brucato SVS? Reeds? Porting? I am not afraid to tear into this engine if have to, but i am new to outboards. I have torn down and assembled dirt bike engines, snowmobile engines and most recently my Duramax Diesel, so engine work is nothing new to me. I am also a machinist by trade, so machine work is not a problem.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    Last edited by Offblackdmax; 03-29-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact James Perry or Chris Carson Marine. I know there are others on here that can do the work but I have personally worked with Stan Carson and James Perry and I am more than 100% satisfied. James is on here and his screen name is wrechin2. I have a 99 2.5 200 that James did a fair bit of machine work on and I am using Chris Carson reeds and spacer as well as a ton of suggestions on tune and setup from both as well as many others on here.

I had an older series of Carson reeds and while I was assembling my powerhead I posted some pictures of my reed blocks after lapping and installing reeds. Chris Carson saw the pictures and messaged me. He said he had a newer series of reed that he thought would work even better for my setup and sent them to me free of charge. Can't ask for a better example of how great they are to work with.

I think you are in the right place for what you need regardless of who you choose to work with.

Once again, I am not suggesting James and the Carsons over anyone else on here that could do the same or similar work, just making suggestions based on who did my work.

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks alot SlimmDaddy, I will look them up. I have been a fly on the wall on this forum for quite some time, i can see there is a large amount of knowledge on Scream and Fly.
    Last edited by Offblackdmax; 03-29-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on James Perry, he has my block, heads and front as we speak. The man will explain everything in detail and why he does what he does. I can't wait to get this thing put together and running on my Bullet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also talk to Jay Smith Racing out here near Houston, TX. Shaving your heads and adding reeds will make a huge difference in bottom and mid. have you gone over on bass boat central.com and checked the Ranger forums for setup help? You may be able to pick up the speed that you desire without having to go into your motor. Just an idea.
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sell the 175 power head and buy a 225 promax power head to replace it. They look exactly the same no one would ever be able to tell unless they ran the numbers. By the time you pay someone to tear it down work the ports, etc......would be cheap to just buy a different power head. If you go to a 225 you will have to change the exhaust plate also.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree all the" lets soup it up some" cost quickly add up and end results is usually not worth what it cost you. pmax is un painted unless its a 200 cut to a pmax it is hands down better then any modded up motor for all around lake boater ps ive done all the soup it up some you could ever dream up over the last 3 decades so its not a idea for me its a memory and some not so swell even when i got to the lets soup up the Pmax some i should have went on and bought a 260 cuz i still had not learned ,then went to 280 then to a 300x so its a vicious cycle with a permanent drain tube attached to yer wallet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    its a vicious cycle with a permanent drain tube attached to yer wallet
    So that's what happened. Gotta get me a plug. The advice on modified vs promax are pretty much spot on. The 175 could be chopped up to run with the Promax but would probably cost about 2 Promaxes to do it. If your hull is the one I think it is it's a heavy one and stepping up to a 3.0 might be an even better option. Lots more torque and iffn ya can find a decent Opti it will pay for itself in fuel mileage if you use it a lot.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    So that's what happened. Gotta get me a plug. The advice on modified vs promax are pretty much spot on. The 175 could be chopped up to run with the Promax but would probably cost about 2 Promaxes to do it. If your hull is the one I think it is it's a heavy one and stepping up to a 3.0 might be an even better option. Lots more torque and iffn ya can find a decent Opti it will pay for itself in fuel mileage if you use it a lot.

Rock
    Here is the answer, doing mods or buying a 225 power head would make some difference but that boat is a tub without a pad, a 200 opti would help all around and save a ton of gas cruising.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
    Sell the 175 power head and buy a 225 promax power head to replace it. They look exactly the same no one would ever be able to tell unless they ran the numbers. By the time you pay someone to tear it down work the ports, etc......would be cheap to just buy a different power head.
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    i agree all the" lets soup it up some" cost quickly add up and end results is usually not worth what it cost you.....even when i got to the lets soup up the Pmax some i should have went on and bought a 260 cuz i still had not learned ,then went to 280 then to a 300x so its a vicious cycle with a permanent drain tube attached to yer wallet
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post

Rock
    Pay attention here, these are all the correct answers
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just going to go ahead and buck the trend here. Do it yourself. Take your 175 apart. Buy a 225 promax block new in the box from Mercury ( $1400 while they last . they wont long ) . Buy a set of Vertex pistons ( $500 ) . A set of bearings, rod bolts and gaskets ($ $400 on a bad day ). Set of reeds ( $130 ) Buy a 225 promax ECU ( $500 or $110 for the Brucato ) . Clean the injectors ( $200 ) . You'll need to do some mods to your adapter plate and change your divider and change coli mounts ( $140 ) . Mill the heads ( your'e a machinist... machine them )

There. You have spent $3270 to $3870 ( get the brucato box ) and you have what is in effect a brandy new 225 promax. Less than what powerhead would cost you . Sell your old stuff for $1000 or more. Drive it like you stole it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i sold last 2 years 2 -95, 1-96,1 -98 225 promaxs all rebuilt, whole motors, installed each with lower (coned or unconed) unit of their choice 4500.00 each and have 2 in the works now they been ported and exhaust work done by Mr Perry both sold before i get them built

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah i have my own injection cleaning eqpt. so they get cleaned plus new Carson reeds plus new regs, switch bxs all the stuff that keeps it together no one has brought one back" EVER', also you will have to install some solid mounts, change cowling , then youl wind up doing other pointless fuel system mods that have a guaranteed 10 mph to the motor that never seem to show up
    Last edited by TEXAS20225; 03-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the SAGA continues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys,
    I agree, hopping the 175 up will be pricey after looking into it more. Im gonna keep an eye out for a good 225 pro max or build it myself.
    The 690 is definately a tub compared to what you guys are running. The boat runs low 50s right now. Im going to order a 6" rapid jack and play around with setup a bit for now and try a couple props.
    A 3.0 225 efi wouldn't be a choice and is what it should have had hung on it from the factory, but I'd like to keep serial number the same for insurance reasons.
    As for drain plugs in wallets, go buy a diesel truck. I am finishing up on my truck project now, then the boat is gonna get it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast