Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkieboat View Post
    so you think this motor is something special?? I just always have stuck with the newer models because I can get parts cheap and readily...A modern 140 should run about as good and maybe better on 87 octane.. at least i think.. I have never run a motor like this one before though. I also got a 1980 85 horse evinrude in the trade.. it also has high compression around 150. wish it was a bubble back 115.
    Special... I don't know but I am always lookin for factory performance motors to add to my collection. Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you think this motor is something special?? I just always have stuck with the newer models because I can get parts cheap and readily...A modern 140 should run about as good and maybe better on 87 octane.. at least i think.. I have never run a motor like this one before though. I also got a 1980 85 horse evinrude in the trade.. it also has high compression around 150. wish it was a bubble back 115.
    Special.....Don't know about that but I'm always lookin for factory performance motors to add to my outboard collection. Btw I gettin ready to rebuild my 140 as she ate a ring!!! Gary
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotcha. Sorry to hear about your 140. I am sure that you will have that motor screaming again soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to burst anyone's bubble but the Strangler was just a 135 with some extra added bling. The SUPER Strangler was another story. Now one'a those'd be worth hangin on to!

Yo Gary. Which cyl? 1 or 4 ...

Got plenty of pistons if'n ya need one.
    '71 Glastron V153 - Composite rebuild - Unceremoniously wrecked
    '81 Baja 15 SS - "nine-paged" '77 140
    '81 Carlson C500 Metric - Currently in foster care
    '70 something Speedcraft - Allison 16R clone - Undergoing restoration
    '79 Carlson CVZ 19 - Far back burner
    WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 71V153 View Post
    Not to burst anyone's bubble but the Strangler was just a 135 with some extra added bling. The SUPER Strangler was another story. Now one'a those'd be worth hangin on to!

Yo Gary. Which cyl? 1 or 4 ...

Got plenty of pistons if'n ya need one.
    #3 as of right now! Haven't torn her down yet as I'm finishing up my 35hp for the SLT. Looked in with a borascope and could see the ring grooves in the cyl.... may need a bore or sleive. When I get caught up with work I will pull her apart and thanks for the offer and concern guys!!! Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you were closer to me, i also got a 1984 140 block in the trade, it is missing the electronics and flywheel and carbs and intake but it is a complete block. I have no idea of its condition yet though.
    Here is a link to some pics of my 135 Strangler just in case anyone is interested in checking it out. It is in pretty good shape for such an old motor I think. Where is the serial number on this motor? I have not found it yet.
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...id=EM_sharshar
    Last edited by Sparkieboat; 04-01-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you were closer to me, i also got a 1984 140 block in the trade, it is missing the electronics and flywheel and carbs and intake but it is a complete block. I have no idea of its condition yet though.
    Here is a link to some pics of my 135 Strangler just in case anyone is interested in checking it out. It is in pretty good shape for such an old motor I think. Where is the serial number on this motor? I have not found it yet.
    Sparkieboat If you are interested in selling the 140 shortblock PM me a price and If it works I will pay the shipping. I am planning on shipping my block out anyway to someone that knows them well and can "up grade" it for me (If it can be saved). Don't know where the #s are but I am sure one of the boys will chime in. Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remembered one of my friends (yup I got one!) is driving to Florida rite now---- Maybe I can talk him into pickin it up on the way back!!!!!! Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics Sparkieboat. Love those compression numbers. Can I borrow your heads? Kidding. But those were some'a the baddest boys available to the general public.

Really oughta be against the law you can't bolt it onto a newer mid. But that's the way it goes I guess.

I see you already have most of the parts I have for that motor. But if'n ya need a spare of anything lemme know.

Yo Gary. #3? That's odd. Mine always come apart in 1 or 4. Hmm ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would do that Gary no problem. It does have the complete intake and exhaust covers. bolts are missing for the exhaust cover. PM me your email address and I will send you pics, and if you want I will pull the heads off and take a look at it. I know that I can turn the crank pretty freely with my hand. (with no spark plugs in it.) and If I need any more parts I will let you know 71V. thanks a lot for all of you help guys.
    I noticed that it looks like the 140 and the 115 were the same block up until 1985. so I would assume that 79-85 140 blocks/heads are fairly valuable if you want max HP to weight ratio????
    Last edited by Sparkieboat; 04-01-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a customers boat in my shop last year,i could not believe it and never tried this but it was a 1975 v-4 with a 1978 and newer clamp,swivel bracket and trim unit did not look like it was modified ,looked like a direct bolt on how cool is that to make a older motor have newer trim and clamp?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Sure wish you had a pic. I'd like to see that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done exactly that. Its pretty easy. Two bushings and a tiny amount of machining. I believe I have some pics. Its great to have good tilt and trim. My motor was a 73 135.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you can put a 70s head onto a 1978 midsection and have the newer trim setup?? sounds like a plan to me... that would make 78 midsections worth something to keep an eye out for. still have to use the pre 79 gearcase i presume. I would love to have a couple of pics of the needed machining. or at least some detailed explanation of what to do. I will most likely try this.
    Last edited by Sparkieboat; 04-08-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire 70' power head,adapter mid and lower stay complete. As well as the steering pivot tube. Only the newer tilt unit is used no other parts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast