Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wired247 View Post
    Its a Hoss alright. Older model and it was/is stamped Triton on the barrel witht he serial number. Also stamped Allison. Its also my last Hoss. Ran great. No crabbing or steering torque. Its just poorly constructed. Wouldnt buy another thats for sure. Seriously, why would I buy another Hoss prop after this?
    Age, plus added surfacing stress all can add up on high performance props. I've noted older and thinner blades might seem alittle faster but with newer 3L torque/ hp and higher speeds on heavier boats most have better long term prop luck with thicker ears with thicker root area. Though I have a new Triton I will use it sparingly and not as hard as I will run my HPD. The HPD was made to handle higher power and harder surfacing stress hence the beefier design made more for offshore use.

I tried an SRX once but tore off an ear at the root also and observed it had thin blade design also so never again. Others running 2.4-200 on 'half' my weight boats have less trouble running them, just my observation.

One of my HPD's was run for years over 100+ on an Allison w/2.5 power and has also run for a few years on my heavy rig with no problem so far. I was also advised by Tim at HOSS that an HPD was better suited for my set-up for the reasons I mentioned.

I think transomstand touched on this above also.
    1990 22' Activator Yami HPDI 300-sold-86.4
    1976 21' Challenger 2002 3.1 Yami 250 Vmax phase lll 89.7-sold
    1982 21' Superboat 300merc-87
    1990 22' Activator yami OX66 Vmax 250-84.2
    1982 30' Scarab-twin 200 Merc-sold
    1979 21' Challenger 300 Evenrude-sold
    1979 21' Superboat 200 Merc-sold-72

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 26, 28,30, 32, & 34. They are great props but like all surfacing props they all can and will crack eventually. I have seen a brand new Merc 26 ET on a 280 on a bullet bass boat crack. I have had cracks in my hoss props but haven't thrown a blade yet. The ones that did crack were thinned. I have thrown blades on real Yamaha props, big ear and small ear choppers. I know it is very disappointing but don't let it discourage you from buying a hoss prop. I have learned that usually the more I have a prop worked and the faster it gets the more frequent the cracks occur. The fastest Yamaha prop I ever owned I made 3 1/4 mile passes and loaned it to a friend he made 5 passes and it flung two blades off. He also agreed it was the fastest 1/4 mile prop he had run. Don't let it get you down. Hoss builds a fast prop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same boat as you wired and run a hoss hpd, great prop for handling and all around performance on an 03.everything ive read recommends the triton for lighter hulls then the 03.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirk View Post
    Same boat as you wired and run a hoss hpd, great prop for handling and all around performance on an 03.everything ive read recommends the triton for lighter hulls then the 03.
    I'm certainly not knocking the performance of the prop. It was one of the best handling props Ive ever used. Great launch and mid range. Not the fastest prop I own as its only a 28 pitch but the boat acted like it had power steering. 80 MPH I could take my hands of the wheel and mix another drink. The Spinelli DR-4 I have on there now, while faster by a wide margin than all of my other props , crabs somewhat and takes constant adjustment over 80. It's a handful.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt think you were knocking the performance. Im surprised the dr4 was alot faster if its a 28 but they are all different animals on different boats. I had a hoss cut dr4 and a sporty that would crab above the pad too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best I was ever able to get out of the Hoss was 89 and change. DR-4 Ive run 95 on several occasions. The Hoss was like driving a cadillac up to speed where the DR-4 is more like a ornery mule. Oddly enough I dont think either one made it to the 7400 limiter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    Too late
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't think it would last long at that price! Great props. Congratulations on snatching it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wired247 View Post
    Its just poorly constructed. Wouldnt buy another thats for sure. Seriously, why would I buy another Hoss prop after this?
    So this was a used prop? I could see your issue if you bought it brand new from Hoss, but clearly it's been worked by someone with "Allison" stamped on the side of it. Do you know if it was cracked and re-welded at some point??? That's not the manufacturers fault.

I've got a Triton, that I've run on my GS for 10 years and before that it was run well into the teens on an SS-2000. I've never heard a re-occurring issue with slinging blades on Hoss props. Hell, Mercury has had problems for years with ET's cracking an slinging blades, so has Mazco, SRX, and I'm sure many others. You run one high and long enough, it won't last forever. Good luck with your next prop.
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemer View Post
    So this was a used prop? I could see your issue if you bought it brand new from Hoss, but clearly it's been worked by someone with "Allison" stamped on the side of it. Do you know if it was cracked and re-welded at some point??? That's not the manufacturers fault.

I've got a Triton, that I've run on my GS for 10 years and before that it was run well into the teens on an SS-2000. I've never heard a re-occurring issue with slinging blades on Hoss props. Hell, Mercury has had problems for years with ET's cracking an slinging blades, so has Mazco, SRX, and I'm sure many others. You run one high and long enough, it won't last forever. Good luck with your next prop.
    .................why ya keep buildin' Mercs since they keep blowin' up?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoss did make a Allison cut Triton 1.And still does I believe. That is pretty rare to throw a blade like that on a Hoss. Been running there props since the 80,S and never threw a blade like that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Wired247,
    I'm truly sorry for your "bad" experience with our Triton prop.
    I know the prop is new to you & after a short time running it, throwing a blade off will ruin the day and cause much concern over any other Hoss propellers..... again, sorry for your situation.

Looking at the picture you posted..... it is indeed, as you say, an original Triton 1 propeller. I can tell by the casting marks near the hub that it is one of our original, full cast Tritons. We designed and manufactured that prop in the mid 1980's....... I can look up the serial number for you tomorrow afternoon and tell you exactly what day it was manufactured....... it was also made thin for the older 2.4 Merc's and we didn't have any issues with blade breakage until the 2.5's started to become readily available. We thickened up the root area along about the same time we designed the HyperDrive, then we thickened it up to match the HPD thickness one last time. All HyperDrives, both right & left rotation, are welded on blades! Since mid to late 1990's, all Triton props have been welded. We can weld blades on and have our own, special heat treat facilities/process that results in superior products compared to the full cast propeller.
    As other's have stated, surfacing a propeller causes a lot of stress on the blades and really, it's a matter of time before any propeller would have issues, regardless of manufacture. Not knowing the history of the prop, lasting 30 something years until blade failure is actually not that bad, although, from your perspective, I understand the prop is new to you!

The full cast Triton's were almost exclusively 14" dia. They were great handling props, especially on Allison's, because we designed them on our Allison. They accelerated quickly, but they seemed to run up to a certain speed and "hit a brick wall".... no matter what we did, they just didn't seem to run any faster!..... The 14.5" dia. Triton's were different all together..... they didn't accelerate as quickly, but the more power you put to them, the more RPM, the faster you'd run!..... All the speed records were set with 14.5" dia. & the 14" were used for drag racing. Now that the smaller engines has been replaced with bigger cubic inch and bigger horsepower, we build mainly 14.5" dia. and bigger ...... haven't built a 14" Triton in many, many years?

Again, sorry for your bad experience with a Hoss Triton propeller.
    Thanks,
    Tim Bostic

Hoss Marine Propellers
    www.hossprops.com
    918-479-5167 (shop)

Pugh Hydro w/260 Merc - 12" mid
    1987 XB2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 15" mid
    1985 XR2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 12" mid (Restoration Project)
    "New" - 1987 XTB21 Allison (Refurbished at the Factory!!!!) w/'99-225 ProMax Merc

Top Speed Blog - http://www.screamandfly.com/blog.php...OSS-quot-Style

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast