Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BIG air

Thought you guys might like to see this, taken from a helicopter during the first lap of the first heat in the 2014 UIM World Championships in Offshore 3A and 3B... You can see where we took off where the wake ends, it was a big one! Landed safely and finished 3rd despite losing all electronics and trim for a lot of the race. Luckily it stuck trimmed in and we were able to do well in the rough! www.facebook.com/slayeroffshore
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Phantom 19G-R - E-TEC 115HO
    www.facebook.com/slayeroffshore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously cool shot that thing is flying...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know that 21 Bernico's could fly. What broke when you finally landed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21BernicoInFlight2014.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, does all that body language help fly that thing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We cracked the deck in a couple of places, but I don't think it was from that particular landing... We had nearly an hour of racing and had some much harder landings off smaller jumps. I have no idea if leaning helps, but it's instinctive if you're flying a bit crooked ��

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a true 21 ft. , what is the dead rise? any pictures of the hull design.
    Thanks jj
    Last edited by CUDA; 03-21-2015 at 05:21 AM.
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    Is that a true 21 ft. , what is the dead rise? any pictures of the hull design.
    Thanks jj
    Go to this thread and there is all kind of details on it. http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...stest-SOB-hull Use the key word Bernico in the thread search function. There's a newish one for sale by you with a 300XS so you can learn to fly to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually around 22ft overall, 6.5m running surface to fit F2 ski race rules. The deadrise is variable, I think it's around 24 degrees with the step at the front around 26. The single step works with the pad to essentially have two different ways of running depending on the trim. Trimmed in the deeper deadrise of the bow cuts the water, trimmed out the step runs completely dry and it rises onto the pad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design , your not including the rear over hang in your overall then... you run a 115hp motor? how fast on calm water , pad looks to be in the 12" area? what is the ride like. Do you race against any Mannerfelt designs
    Thanks jj
    Last edited by CUDA; 03-21-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ride is really good in rough water, the balance is spot on with the V4. We've run 65.1 GPS, British speed record of 64.19mph on a two way flying kilo average. We raced against a B23 and a B19 with the wings clipped in the worlds. Easily beat the B23, beat the B19 in the first really rough race but he beat us in the other two. The 19 has the world speed record of 72mph or thereabouts, crazy fast for a 115! My hull has run 103 with an S3000, and another of the same model has run 98mph with a 300xs. The 115 doesn't have quite enough power to properly get right on the pad, but it works so well in rough water which is what we race in. The stepped boats like the Mannefelts are much quicker in flat water, but we can turn better and it loves running in the rough

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean " with the wings clipped"?
    I love the way you race over seas , small motors give it all you got, here you can have a 100mph boat but you better not go over 60mph or your OUT, that's NOT racing ... not sure what you call it ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	316858
    I love this shot from 2013 World Water Ski Titles! Don't forget there is a skier on the back of that!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    What do you mean " with the wings clipped"?
    I love the way you race over seas , small motors give it all you got, here you can have a 100mph boat but you better not go over 60mph or your OUT, that's NOT racing ... not sure what you call it ?
    Sorry I forgot to reply!

Basically there's 2 115hp classes - 3A and 3B. 3B has a long history as an international class, they used to run blueprinted 1.3 litre engines (mostly Yam 90s) on cats and monos. A few years ago the rules changed to reduce emissions, there was a changeover period of a few seasons, and all engines must now be stock EPA approved 1.8 litre 115hp maximum. Hull design advances over the years were making it virtually impossible for tradition V hulled monos to keep up with the cats and winged/stepped Mannerfelt boats and variations of them. Class 3A was created to allow traditional style boats to compete, with slightly higher minimum weight restrictions to try and keep exotic materials from making it too expensive. Cats aren't allowed at all, steps are, but there's a maximum width of 1.95m to rule out the winged batboats. A few people have modified the bats by cutting the wings down to fit the rules, and adding ballast or more material to make them heavier to fit 3A. In reality the 3A boats are actually quicker than the 3B boats in true rough races, but the 3B cats are unstoppable in calm water (their speed record is 84mph, compared to the 3A World Record of around 73 I think). My Swedish friend Viktor's Mannerfelt B19 is the best example of a clipped boat, it's fast in rough or calm water!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1908163_277695932354212_652137341906863854_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	316989

I agree with you about the bracket racing idea, it's not done here in Europe at all as far as I know... Much better off to restrict racing with a set of rules governing engines (only allowing stock EPA rated motors is a great way to do this as they're pretty easy to spot cheats) and a set of dimensions for the boat with a sensible minimum weight. I don't really see the point of rigging 300hp boats and then saying you can't go over 60, much better to restrict to 115 or 200hp for bigger boats and drive the hell out of them!