Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Holley pumps are a sliding vane type pump and are made to "push" fuel rather than "draw" fuel. They may develop a little negative pressure on the intake side but I don't think there is enough "vacuum" to lift fuel 20 inches or so.The red holley may have closer tolerances than the blue but neither are designed to lift ( read the small print). I ran a blue Holley once and found it would not lift the fuel 6 inches. When mounted below the tank it performed as advertized--however when allowed to "sit" for a period of time, some of the vanes stuck and would not extend to make a seal. I would have to throw my hat in the ring for Carter, however, I have run a FACET High Performance Pump (21/2-9PSI) for the last 4 years and carried 2 spares, just in case-never had to use either of them. Also, they are made right here in Southern California. Go to Google, Facet Gold-Flo fuel pump advertizes 24 inches of dry fuel self priming lift. I'm not sure Carter can guarantee the same Rod
    Last edited by capnzee; 03-06-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a primer bulb in-line after the pump, I don't see why you could have any problem. I run a Mallory 140 at the recommendation of a well known, reputable, hi-perf OMC mechanic for a modified looper(S. Jenkins). I pump the bulb to prime the pump. Problem solved. Never had a problem using a Carter with stock 225 in the same configuration.
    Last edited by frederick55; 03-06-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Holley Red that I use in the shop for sucking old fuel out of tanks. it sits on a dolley with a battery set up and fuel line. I can tell you that the holley will prime itself from 20 feet way… Thats right. 20 ft… and it will do it through clogged fuel/ water seps. I drain entire tanks with them. It will prime. don't worry about it so much.
    Cawley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by native2 View Post
    I have a Holley Red that I use in the shop for sucking old fuel out of tanks. it sits on a dolley with a battery set up and fuel line. I can tell you that the holley will prime itself from 20 feet way… Thats right. 20 ft… and it will do it through clogged fuel/ water seps. I drain entire tanks with them. It will prime. don't worry about it so much.
    I have an old Walbro that I use for the same thing. Works fine 3 feet above the tank. I'd one of these again but I don't think they make them anymore.

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGreen View Post
    I have an old Walbro that I use for the same thing. Works fine 3 feet above the tank. I'd one of these again but I don't think they make them anymore.

Matt
    Matt,

Carter is the way to go.

Really.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2