Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axle Placement

Ok so I am going to build me a new 2x4 tube trailer for my STV RR but I want it to be tandem axle. I know the rule of thumb for most tandem trailers is to use the 60/40 method for mounting the center hanger for the axles but im not sure thats the case for boats. My trailer is about 21'6" and if I use that formula my center point for my axles will be about 8'6" from the back and that is way to far forward. Can someone with a little more knowledge on this give me some advise ??? thanks James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the boat trailers that I have built (including a tandem) I have mounted the spring-axle assembly on angle stock the frame sits on. This way the axle(s) can be slid forward or back to dial in the rig. I have always felt better to have more weight forward than to deal with swaying! JMO Gary
    Last edited by olboatman; 03-03-2015 at 05:59 AM.
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been looking at some trailers online that come in either single or tandem axle and it looks to me like on the tandem axles the center hanger is located where the centerline of the axle is on the single axle trail is if that makes sence

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should be right. If there's any doubt move the assembly to the rear. You could put the back wheel at the back of the trailer and not have too much tongue weight but if you miss it forward it would be real easy to have too little. I built a dolly trailer for my 1/4 Master last year and after measuring a couple single axle bass boats with the axle 4' from the rear of the trailer I put my single axle 3' from the rear. It's not enough and wish I'd moved it further back. Long story short, if you miss it, miss it to the back. My guess is center of the tandem assembly should be about 3.5' from the back of the trailer
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the tongue weight on your trailer hitch? Set the axle placement to give the ease in which to move it around.