Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Pete:

I will give you my take on the prop deal. I think a big ear chopper would be best because it has more surface area combined with the cupping. That will equal more pressure on the blades that are in the water. Remember, any prop that will give you any kind of bow lift must have the upper portion of the blades out of the water when running to do so. If you can get you hands on a 14 or 14.5" diameter chopper to try you will get a pretty good idea if you are headed in the right direction. If the pitch works out alright you can always have the diameter reduced to keep the RPMs up where you need. If there is a way to get the motor high enough to keep the water pickups just barely under the water you will know if the lifting abilities of the chopper prop will work for you.

Best wishes, Carter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Carter!

Pete

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it's probably kind of early, but put you go pro on the transom with a good shot of the gearcase and what's going on back there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    it's probably kind of early, but put you go pro on the transom with a good shot of the gearcase and what's going on back there.
    Hi Capt.,

Funny you should say that, I was going to do that shortly after my last run and as I turned to get the external mic, the camera and suction-cup monopod slid right off the back deck into the drink!!!! I'm going to replace it in the near future and I'll tie a lanyard to it!

Pete

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter1708 View Post
    This is a new video taken from shore (crummy camera and from a distance) showing the boat running full speed at start, then I slow down.

Prop is a two blade 14" x 21" (not cupped) bronze, 5600 rpm just touching 50 mph. Was able to rev to 5900 or so with trim, but no extra speed. Motor looks level trimmed out.

Wonder if a cupped prop two blade or a chopper as mentioned above would be beneficial? Would like to keep rpms at a reasonable range.

Anyone know what's up with the spray when I trim motor in?

That spray is the flat water coming of the bottom of the boat hitting the lower and the either the cav plate or a horizontal fin and partialy deflecting and spraying up and out to the sides, seen it on many boats.
    Last edited by FMP; 03-10-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    That spray is the flat water coming of the bottom of the boat hitting the lower and the either the cave plate or a horizontal fin and partialy deflecting and spraying up and out to the sides, seen it on many boats.
    Hey Pete! I didn't know the thread got legs here! My last post you on FG says basic same thing as above. I ever get up your way I wanna see that boat! Good luck with it! Robby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Robby, I hope I didn't alienate folks by posting on different sites, I was just so damn happy that the motor and boat combo worked, had to share with as many people as I could, warts and all . That spray is funny stuff, I'd never seen it before and frankly got a little worried, especially seeing it on video! You and Doc can come up anytime and check her out!

Funny how it looks so damn slow in the video, sure doesn't feel that slow!

Pete
    Last edited by peter1708; 03-10-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added comment about slow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    That spray is the flat water coming of the bottom of the boat hitting the lower and the either the cave plate or a horizontal fin and partialy deflecting and spraying up and out to the sides, seen it on many boats.
    Hi FMP, thanks for the analysis - I'd never seen that before and figured something was terribly wrong. Glad it goes away when trimmed up.

Pete

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter1708 View Post
    Hi Robby, I hope I didn't alienate folks by posting on different sites, I was just so damn happy that the motor and boat combo worked, had to share with as many people as I could, warts and all . That spray is funny stuff, I'd never seen it before and frankly got a little worried, especially seeing it on video! You and Doc can come up anytime and check her out!

Funny how it looks so damn slow in the video, sure doesn't feel that slow!

Pete
    Or if you make it down here with the boat, we can go play at Docs lake! I'm in salt, so ya do not want to dunk it me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2