Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine Height on YT Valero?

I have read many good articles online about YT Valero's and V-King Hydrostreams going near 100 mph. I am rigging my 88' YT Valero with a fresh Bridgeport 2.4 Carb, i want to know what should i look out for as to engine height. i am running a CMC HS jack. I had an HST that was very user friendly over 90 mph crossing a one foot chop, but i would like to know, considering all the Horsepower i am going to be running, and the fact the guy i bought the Bridge from did 97 mph on GPS with a CLE that would blow out, on some model of Allison? i guess first off i am wondering should i run the CLE or my Bobs lower since i heard so much talk of not shifting the stock lower into gear? on a high 900-1000 Rpm idle Bridge... the CLE's are much sturdier and nobody said shifting into gear will bang the gears up with that lower, i even hear that some guys disconnect the neutral safety switch to start in gear forw. or rev. when running big pitch props when not using the beefier gears in the CLE? since i will be using props usually ... above 28" etc. i heard thats wear you can really tear up your lower. I used a trick of choking motor when shifting to lower rpm's down to shift has anyone done that?
    Secondly, have most guys who have a good fast motor on a YT V-King or Valero, find a lower engine height and nice trim down to keep the boat less flighty will make the ride a little safer, on my 17'9" Valero YT and let the HP do the work and my DAH 30" Cleaver do the pushing! vs a Chopper making to much lift, i have not owned the boat a long time and have noticed its a little trickier than my HST being 3 feet shorter. It has only had my 200 hp on it so far, i am NOT trying to break world speed records and will first reacquaint (spell?) myself with speeds in low 80's until i feel comfortable to go to 90 mph again, my HST i could raise jack while running 90 mph doing this on YT might cause trouble? and can someone tell me what approx. bullet height from pad and how to set motor to correct height on jack? say mount lower on jack since i will not need more than say 3" of lift? I will be rigging it in a month or so, and am getting all my ducks in a row, i don't want to scare my girlfriend (again) as my Vector did with 2.5 200 hp. so i am interested in any experiences, you guys can share, my HST did 97 mph easy so i have driven to high speeds for years, but in last years have only driven my 85' Valero Vee to low 80's and i am pretty sure that balancing my Vee on the pad does take more skill than managing the YT's lift with the same 200 hp motor? But the now 250 Hp Bridge changes the game. i am only looking to get some buds up to say 85 mph in the YT so showing them we can hit every last mph is not my game. I am older now (was in my 30's with HST) and just want to have some fun and run safely.
    Thanks, Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a the HSTparked crop.jpg   2.5 Merc corrected.jpg   time to fly.jpg  
    Last edited by Valero2.5; 02-27-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Previous Boats:

77' Switzer Craft 72 mph 175 hp
    86' Lazer LTV 80 mph 200 hp
    90' HST Bridgeport 97 mph 250 hp
    86' Valero YT 80+ mph 200 hp
    79' Vector 80+ mph 200 hp 85' Valero V 83+ mph/ Current 200
    88 Valero YT not so fast, no good motor
    NOW 85' Valero Vee 2.4 Bridgeport Carbs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - that's quite the long post!
    Here's what i can tell you about mine...
    1) Blowout is not scary in a YT, hell a log ripped the skeg clean off my sporty last season at 80MPH and that was hardly anything to worry about.
    2) Props - a cleaver is not your Freind unless you are going +95. Mine was fine with a chopper till about 90 then it would start to lift the bow too much, but they are great for carrying passengers/heavy load up to that speed. A Lightning ET or similar will take you over 100 if you setup is right, mine will run 100 with 3 adults. Cleavers are only for stringing out those last few mph - otherwise there are much better options.
    3) Engine height - you'll end up somewhere between even and 2" above depending on your boat. I have to run the ET lower than a chopper and a cleaver even lower still or the lifting from the stern means I don't get enough water for cooling.
    4) Over 85MPH - nose down, down, down = Speed & Control goes up, up, up.
    1989 21' Skater - twin 2.5s
    1986 Cougar 21MTR, 15" 300XS - sold
    2002 TUFF 21 (#0.1), 300xs - sold
    1986 Valero YT, 225 Promax - sold
    1987 Viper, 140 cross flow - sold

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Thanks for making me feel better about Blowout or hitting a log! wow! i had my 30 Cleaver doing wonderful things on my Vector with only a 150 hp. 72 mph was decent. I also have many other good props i picked up because i have a Valero vee with 200 hp too! so which would you think is closest to a prop you run? my 29 Mazco, or recently purchased 28 Dumanis or even my strange "Allison cut" chopper that is also a 28 pitch. i can't remember what prop it was cut from, actually i think he also called it a lightning cut, i will look on merc site to see or send you a pic today. Thanks! JIM in Wisconsin :-)

Previous Boats:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never shift while running. I always reach over and hit the key. All you need to do is disconnect the neutral switch and connect the two wires together (I just plugged the connectors onto a little snippet of sheet metal and heat-shrinked the joint. You'll use the shifter and key like second nature after a while.

The big advantage of the CLE is the heavy-duty bearing carrier, which will handle the forces of a surfaced prop better than the coned 200 cases. In any case, it's important that you have enough torque tab on the skeg to keep the gearcase tracking straight. This will nearly eliminate the blowout risk. You can also add a longer cone to the CLE.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANKS Pyro! always enjoy yur thoughts! Yur in Michigan and i am Wi. what fuel do you run in your Bridgeport? i am buying a freshly rebuilt one and he said 92-93 octane. he "Bill" in Tenn. said he also does not trust Octane boosters like 104 cause they fall out of suspension fast, what is your opinion on what brand octane boost if you need one.
    JIM

Previous Boats:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With stock factory heads, I ran regular fresh 87 octane for years before recreational ethanol-free 90/91 fuel became readily available. In stock form, these motors don't have any more compression than a 200, and do not require high-octane fuel or boosters.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The motor i have just purchased has had new Nikasil done in Fondy, Bridges welded, Chromium Nitride rings and he says it has 32.5 cc Heads so he recommended 92-93 octane, i am curious how much octane i really get when pump at station up north says 92? THIS motor was built to run long and was done right, i don't want to blow it up. Its got carbs so no ECU or injector issues.
    -Jim

Previous Boats: