Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need expert mercury advice

My 1984 150 black max refuses to run properly. Step 1 --- stator checks out good; ignition packs good; carbuerators have been gone through twice, new needles, seats, jets, etc.; factory timing adjustments have not been touched; engine idles fine; throttle up to about 1600 and engine shutters and makes bogging sound and increasing throttle is just a dead spot; more throttle and the engine takes off fine; i am ready to use it for an anchor. If i hold it at 2000 bow up, it just vibrates and there is no response. Does anyone have any idea of what could cause it?? I have spent $ and all i hear is "its an old motor". The motor is super clean, never been in salt water and never been a part. All cylinders are 130 psi exactly. Any help i would appreciate it. 727-243-4180. Im in tampa bay area of florida.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check your trigger, if timing not advancing the ole girl wont go, also check fuel line might have a weak or bad primer bulb. jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stator has those exacts symptons.....you need a peak voltage adapter if you didn't do the tests with one...ohms is not the way to do it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All true but seen fairly new plugs or plug wires do the same thing. Sure you have done a complete link and sync the right way?

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does the blackmax have a pulse pump {diaphragm} like the Promax to feed fuel? the reason i ask is because take offs require alot of fuel and you might not be getting enough when the hull has resistance like bow up 2000 rpm. seems better after your on plain because the load is less and the angle of the motor is flatter. It sounds fuel related to me but Im just guessing. floats not filling the bowl at an angle? See more guesses. if you stomp on it from a start and keep your foot down does it still happen? Will it just go past that dead spot at 2000 rpm and keep going good that way? New wires and plugs is always a nice easy way to go also. At least ya know your plugs and wires are new then.. I also seem to recall a rectifier causing me a similar problem. i switched the wires around and good to go.
    Last edited by whipper; 02-26-2015 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the options pump is diaphram type new rectifer new hit it from idle like a rocket it seems slow throttle all timing in linkage now against carb rod more throtle bog sound vibration no rpm gain 2000 steady more throttle cuts in like a shot of nos hit it does seem like fuel delivery problem today i noticed missing butterfly screw #2 carb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do i sync carbs correctly, if a special tool is needed; i dont have one 150 v6 finally after500$ and carbs apart 4 times found out where junk in carbs coming fr om, twist connector coupling tank to engine o rings deteriorating, ran new line directly to fuel pump