Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seeking hull bottom experts for mods

Hi guys seeking any ideas of how I can improve my hull design, she is a savage javelin similar to the g3 and I'm hoping for any little mods to improve performance. Pads, strakes, chines.

Picture of hull bottom Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1974-savege-javelin.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	314580

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean that up add a 300X with simon and DBR mods run motor up high with a hydrolic jackplate with a good 32 pitch 14+ diameter prop and you should see some speed. On a hull perspective That blunt bow section above the bow eye needs to be brought out toa rounded point for aerodynamics at fight. I love the pad section and small tunnel but because the tunnel is so shallow to get the full potential of it you need to bring the bow up from wear you beach it. So you may loose a little bow deadrise but youll gain tunnel entrainment more. The hull looks like it runs pretty wet because the stern need to work so hard to free up the bow. She looks like a real sea worthy boat and stable hull but if you want real speed the bow needs to be rained in a little. Do you have a profile pic? Sotra like this I would say.
    Last edited by whipper; 02-26-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply, she is indeed a very stable boat and considering she's coming up to be 50 she's quite a performer.
    The main problem is she tends to porpoise when coming upto speed, which you pretty much said she would have a hard time freeing up the bow, hence the porpoise.
    I would prefer not to cut into the boat but instead add onto, in the form of strakes, pads and so on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit??
    I don't have a profile pic yet, I see the idea of sharpening the front to get her out of the water quicker and make her aeros cleaner. I think ill try to make a glue on bow cone LOL so I'm not cutting into her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could run up the tunnel a little farther forward also so it captures air faster with less water density interrupting with lift. Fairing out the deep vee so its more streamlined flow to the bottom will help also! Deeper tunnels but that gets to be to much work. Strakes looks like they flare to forward wraping interrupting air flow to the tunnels. You could shorten that forward strake to allow air to not be deflected away from the tunnels. You want a smooth transition from the bow to the tunnels. That strake is deflecting air from wear you want it to be. Sorta like this. Just real rough sorry about the unskilled example but it describes what i mean. You wont get her like a stoker tunnel bottom but as close as possible is going to get you speed gains in a big way with power. http://www.hydrostream.org/GuestPix/Stoker5.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin 63 View Post
    Edit??
    I don't have a profile pic yet, I see the idea of sharpening the front to get her out of the water quicker and make her aeros cleaner. I think ill try to make a glue on bow cone LOL so I'm not cutting into her.

You could make a nice bow section box that bolts to that flat section out of SS or Aluminium that follows the keel line. Since your not going to be cutting into her adding a forward Step and a mid section step might help free up the bow. a shallower one on each side near the centres aft one also perhaps. You really need to find the fulcrum point of the hull with power on and off to determinate the best spot for adding steps. There are many configerations that will work just that theres going to be one thats best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just blue print the hull and think about doel find and hydraulic trim tabs taps. more power helps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a funny man Whipper. A modified 300x on a 13' 6" runabout that is 50 years old! I can see it breezing past 129 mph. I love it ..... lol