Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Ft Meyers Bay/River Safe Navigation & Boating advise

Need some local tips

Taking a Business trip/Boat Vacation in the Port Charlotte Area, going up river thru FT Meyers, Olga, Alva maybe to Clewiston. Play around and check things out in the Port Charlotte bay area canals etc

I calm low traffic days headed west headed to Charlotte Harbor from Alva, Thru Olga under I 75 can I run 100+ in my STV??

I started looking at charts and it looks shallow. What do I need to know? Local Etiquette, Noise & Speed. Hazards.

In a 28CC, How long does it take to get from From Port Charlotte to to Alva. lets say at a 35mph cruise pace with a few blasts hre in there? Doesn't look like any dams.

What is the tide swing going east up river to Alva and beyond? How salty is the river?

I'll have my STV/280 at my disposal and a 28 CC for the bay. What are you guys using for go fast stuff in the Harbor and runs out to Sanibel and south to lets say Naples & Marco???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Locals will be far better than me, but I have boated in that area. Unless you know something I don't know, only way from Port Charlotte Harbor down to the Caloosahatchee River, which is Fort Myers and Alva, etc, is to run behind Sanibel, Captiva and the Islands north of that from Port Charlotte to the opening of the Caloosahatchee. No speed limit there, but can be rough--my 21 Eliminator loved it on a relatively flat day, but with any wind may be no fun in an STV. It is a long run--purely guessing, but maybe an hour at 50.

As you go up the Calossahatchee, many idle zones that are enforced. Once you get through the lock just West of Alva, I think it is pure fresh water from there on up and perfect 100 mph water. Once in a while you meet a yacht or the like running hard the other way,and crossing the wake can be challenging, but otherwise a really interesting run and pretty much little ripples.

For the STV, I would put in at Alva and head East. There is a lock about halfway to Moore Haven, DO Not get in the front (ie, East when heading East) end of the lock--water runs in really hard as you raise up 7', really tough to hold the rope.

For the CC, do the run from Charlotte Harbor, might see many dolphins, pretty water, but instead of turning left (east) and going up the Calossahatchee, turn left for a while, then before the channel narrows you can turn right, go through the easternmost bridge on the Sanibel causeway, and cross some open water to Fort Myers Beach. Short idle run to the big bridge once you are behind the island, several lunch places. Or, someone will remember the name, there is an island in the backwater behind Captiva with an exclusive resort (exclusive but not hoity toity) and a place to eat that i have heard a lot about--maybe Cabbage Key?

Feel free to call me.

Hey, West Coast guys, jump in.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    East of the franklin lock will be great water for your stv. West of the lock you would probably have more fun in your center console. You really don't need to worry about depths east of franklin lock. If you are west of the dam just stay in the channel and you will be fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good info. That's my backyard.
    Yep east of franklin for the fast littles boat.
    Harbor can get rough. Like said follow the markers
    and read the signs.
    That's XstreamVkings home turf he can tell you everything.
    Give a shout I'll run with you in my venom.

Dago