Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 mariner 1 bad hole

Hi all. New here. So many questions. Have a 1984 mariner 150 2.0 on a 88 ranger 371v. I fish collage tournaments on a thin budget. She ran like a champ for a year or so. Lost power in fall: 115-120 lbs in 5 holes 30 in 1. Looks like a ring fella part (sat for 2 mo). My question is/are: can I shoot just one hole and not the others? Are sleeves an option. I need to rework it as cheap as I can. I would hone and re ring all 6. Also looking for the best book for diagrams/procedure and any input on best parts source quality vs. Price. Thanks in advance!!!
    Serial # a 183475

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull the cylinder head and post a pick of the damaged hole. May give someone an idea of where to start. 2.0 motors are very durable so I would be surprised if it needs a sleeve. Before ya fix it ya need to know what caused it.

Since you started it I will add to the Mexican word of the day...wheelchair. Jose and I only have enough money for 1 taco but it's ok, wheelchair.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

3. Likes arkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you wheelchair you thoughts. To see it in person it does not look to be gouged. looks like ring materal is melted to the cyc wall. Red Devil and a hone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 150 mariner2.jpg   150 mariner1.jpg   150 mariner 3.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would not be ring material but is certainly piston material. I would strip it down and clean with muratic acid. This will tell you what you got. Motor appears to be a .020 over bore now. Pistons are available at .030, .040, and .060 for that motor so sleeving should not be necessary. Be careful with the acid as it eats aluminum fast.

Pizza chip.....You quit looking at my girlfriend you pizza chip.

BTW....Welcome to the site. Where you going to collage? ( I hope you spell better in class )

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

6. Likes arkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock so it's .020 over did machine shop stamp that? Could I get away with just shooting the one hole to .030? Will tear down in day or two. May have got some h20 in fuel to cause it? Bypass oil injection a good idea? Study aquaculture/fisheries at UAPB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muriatic acid will do wonders cleaning up the hole. Be careful not to gouge the cylinder walls while cleaning up the piston aluminum that has "glued" itself to the walls. You may be lucky enough to get by with a light hone, but most likely you will have to go 10 over whatever size the hole is now--.020? go .030. You can do just one hole or whatever. Have water ready to wash cylinder down after cleaning with acid--also pants, hands, etc.

9. Likes arkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any suggestions on method. Stainless brush. Steel wool. Some kind of plastic pic. What's the soak time like
    "You can do just one hole or whatever." Do you think it's a bad idea to do only one?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a small brass brush, a tooth brush etc. Whatever. You will be able to see the acid working on the aluminum, then just start "picking it off with a screw driver, ice pick or whatever but be gentle and don't gouge the cylinder wall. Doing one cylinder is just fine. I take it you don't intend to run it at race rpm's and you are on a thin budget. Once the job is done and you are ready to go fishing (I assume you have removed the "auto oiler") use plenty of oil in your gas. Running under 6K RPM, I would still run at least 40:1 gas to oil. Removing the factory oil mixer or not is another subject. If you order a piston, make sure you order the right side eg.port or stbd.

12. Likes arkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet. Thanks for the tip. 5-5200 all I ever ran her before. Auto oil is still intact I'm not to fond of it. Will check on how to remove while it's torn down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your budget is really tight, you may be able to get a good used piston. After you have cleaned up the cylinder, have it checked for size and roundness, You may be able to get by with a simple hone and a new set of rings on the one cylinder, but I would ring'm all if you have the engine down that far. Removing the oiling system is very simple and may be the very reason you scuffed the cylinder we have been talking about. When you put everything back together, put a new water pump in and check the cooling system just to be on the safe side. Also check the timing. something in there caused that cyl. to go. 115-120 compression is pretty good for that engine. Problem had to be caused by overheat, lean gas:air, ignition advance, no oil, ---you sure don't want to put the engine together and have another failure because you didn't fix what caused the problem in the first place.

15. Likes arkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did budget rebuild for my cousin last year on a 2.0 merc. He had oil system and water pump failure at same time. We ended up with 3 of the 6 bored over size, 4 new after market piston, 2 used merc std piston with new top rings. It runs good.
    We used acid to get aluminum off the bores then used sunnen hone on them. We salvaged 3 of the 6 cylinder bores and bored the others.
    Get rid of the oil injection!!!!

17. Likes arkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow and methodical tear down in progress. Thanks for advice and encouragement. Will update as I go.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back at it

Well I got her apart. Took block to Riverside Marine in North Little Rock. They say it needs to be shot 030 so I said go ahead. Fella mentioned the pistons are wiesco and forged but that cast is the way to go. I do not have the budget for that. Is it worth going with another wiesco 030 and using the old pistons 020? anything I should watch out for? ie piston weight Will I need new rings for the other 5? Can I reuse the old bearings? Is the head gasket the same for different bores? Any thoughts on where to buy components?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150815_151754[1].jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	326953

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://promarineusa.com/

I use pro marine to get after marketpistons, gaskets, parts. been happy with their service.

21. Likes arkie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pro V pistons, I would put steel cage rod bearings, and new wrist pin bearings. Fairly cheap and worth the money, then when you run it, you'll be confident that it will start and run well for a really long time!
    18 Action 225 Promax

23. Likes arkie liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast