Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, i sure do remember that at grovers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    Do you remember that old Evinrude that Grover's had outside their service area? It had like 20 shaft extensions on it, so it was like 15 feet tall.
    Didn't until you just mentioned it! But now I do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you remember the name of the johnson dealer that opened up right across the street from grovers? I cant remember the name

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you remember a 14 ft duo runabout made of hard rubber and reinforced with cardboard. It was made of the same material as a new car bumper. You could hit the dock and it owuld bounce back out. They were blue and white.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure do remember Baldwin/Motion. Friends of mine here in California drool when I tell them it was about a mile away from where I grew up! A friend of mines brother worked for them primarily so he could build a crazy engine for his vette. First car ride that scared me it was so fast and I wasn't driving!

To this day I still mis White Castle. Used to go to the one in Lynbrook. Not quite as good but the best I can do now is buy them in the frozen food section. Every time I go east starting in Wisconsin I'm on the hunt for White Castle!
    Last edited by Onetime; 02-01-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    I sure do remember Baldwin/Motion. Friends of mine here in California drool when I tell them it was about a mile away from where I grew up! A friend of mines brother worked for them primarily so he could build a crazy engine for his vette. First car ride that scared me it was so fast and I wasn't driving!

To this day I still mis White Castle. Used to go to the one in Lynbrook. Not quite as good but the best I can do now is buy them in the frozen food section. Every time I go east starting in Wisconsin I'm on the hunt for White Castle!
    Cars you to line up in front of Freeport High School everyday at lunch time , it was like a drag strip !
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terrikirchner View Post
    I lived on freeport creek and cooked at the schooner and worked at fred's boat rentals painting and caulking the old wooden skiffs. Me and my dad built a glenn l kit boat with a 10 hp motor in our basement. I worked at al grovers for years too. Great old times for sure. Grover got in a evinrude x115 and i took care of that 110 merc. 1968 was the year. I was on omc team back then. I also had a carlson with a 90. Freeport and island park had all the fast boats. Hung out a k&k and kenny's and penzoil performance on merrick bay (skip). Do you remember baldwin/motion chevrolet on sunrise highway??? See you at white castles some day.
    You are thinking of Pezold Performance . Skip Pezold lives right here in Holiday FL . I used to drool at the window of his shop looking at his MK 78 H .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    Okay, all this talk of Freeport, Woodcleft canal and Al Grover's marine.

Do any of you remember the used outboard guy that was on Atlantic Ave in Freeport? He worked out of his house. The garage and driveway was loaded with outboards out to the street. I think it might have been called Dave's Outboard Repair. Anyway as a kid I use to hang out there. I couldn't afford any new engines and I would buy ones from him, that had submerged and were frozen, for cheap. I would tinker and work on them getting them freed up and running again.
    Combine that with building Glenn L boats from plans and it was the beginning of my boating. All paid for being a newspaper boy, mowing lawns and shoveling snow. Once I had a boat paid for gas the same way but with the boat I would go crabbing and claming. Sold the clams and crab to restaurants and Nathen's. When I think of what I sold bushels of them for then and what I pay for an order of them now, sheesh!
    Back then you couldn't legally drive a boat as a kid until you took a boating safety class and got your certificate.

One of the early family boats was an old wooden runabout bought from Al Grover's. Two of my brothers had ripped the transom off the old family Glenn L boat with the Lark 35 on it in Middle Bay. Parents junked the boat and saved the engine, why I don't know. I found the boat at Al Grover's and talked my parents into buying it. It had a Mercury 50 on it and my dad insisted on taking that Mercury off and putting the Lark on it. Why I'll never know but my dad didn't like Mercury outboards. Boat was a turd with that Lark on it.

Being the defiant youth I was, think that's what drove me to Mercury's! Been with them ever since.
    Dave Merklin was the Scott Atwater King ! He fixed my first engine a Mercury Super 10 Hurricane . Bought my first RC boat kit , Drag N Fly 40 from his hobby shop where I basically lived whenever I had any money !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foley View Post
    Cars you to line up in front of Freeport High School everyday at lunch time , it was like a drag strip !
    I think that was the same at all the area high schools then!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foley View Post
    Dave Merklin was the Scott Atwater King ! He fixed my first engine a Mercury Super 10 Hurricane . Bought my first RC boat kit , Drag N Fly 40 from his hobby shop where I basically lived whenever I had any money !!
    Wow that's him! Dave Merklin, and the hobby shop that was a few doors down from his house/outboard shop in a little commercial strip of buildings. Trying to remember, I think he opened the hobby shop a little later.
    Last edited by Onetime; 02-02-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2