User Tag List

Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys i know a lot of you have restored hydrostreams so thought i should ask a question here

I need to take my hydrostream virage off its trailer to replace the floor and possible core. How should i support the boat while its off the trailer? Like what area of the hull should be supported? And i will be taking the top off the boat as well. Also, where can i measurr to make sure the hull is level and plum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The newest Boat, the YT...

So far, i think my Hull is not leaking, but until i can get to heated hangar in Racine to ck it out, i must be on pins and needles. Transom and hull have no stress cracks from a soggy wet transom or a floppy pad, but i need to have it checked out, i re painted trailer, re carpeted boat after fuel spill, and installed the Sea Star with Red sharp steering wheel, and all she needs is some serious H.P. if the Hull is solid from an expert opinion. Here you can see what a nice boat it is, pics before new wheel and trim all original teak removed and saved to sell. plus new Amega guages with Red / white installed and Merc Tach. Boat is so sweet, original Coast Guard sticker is mint, like nobody ever even rode in passenger seat and beat it up. where as my Valero has maybe 47 nicks, dents, dock stress cracks, the YT has maybe 7 over entire boat, two from the guy having trouble launching and a wake punching him into trailer on nose and right sponson, i am guessing, other wise absolutely as clean as in the showroom condition. I have a Powerhead at Fort Fremont picture of it here, a 2.4 EFI i am hoping to wake it up with. Right now, just had leakdown numbers and waiting on some costs.

- Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YT bow fxd.jpg   New YT Valero.jpg   time to fly.jpg   yt ben 2.jpg   New EFI 2.4 Bridgeport.jpg  

Last edited by Valero2.5; 02-01-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Previous Boats:

77' Switzer Craft 72 mph 175 hp
    86' Lazer LTV 80 mph 200 hp
    90' HST Bridgeport 97 mph 250 hp
    86' Valero YT 80+ mph 200 hp
    79' Vector 80+ mph 200 hp 85' Valero V 83+ mph/ Current 200
    88 Valero YT not so fast, no good motor
    NOW 85' Valero Vee 2.4 Bridgeport Carbs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My YT, transom is so mint hard to believe. one minor hairline crack on each side. Wow

pics of my YT, it came with a Mariner 150 that was a fake...lol. Under H.P. saying 200 EFI... as one can see by the transom this boat is in Virgin pure state as far as abuse goes, now is the core solid?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yt seats mint.jpg   Valero yt n Cottage 030.jpg   yt CLE.jpg   yt ben 1.jpg   0 valero yt fake.jpg  

Previous Boats:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yes, definitely a nice YT. Previous owner is in our group and many of us have seen that boat. It is possible Brian took a closer look at it (he is the resident YT novice). I am pretty sure I took that middle pic. Most will tell you that if the core hasn't been done, it needs to be checked and likely re-done.
    In reference to the Hydrostream Power Tour:

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    This is seriously one of the best threads on this site ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we bought it in Shawno from a Ben who had a brother, you took the pic of it flying past camera? as far as you know, they had no issues? with core? they only had 150 hp on it? or did they have a better motor? They are from Illionois and also have a Valero open bow? does that help? Jim

Previous Boats:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ahhh...Brett's old boat. Thought it looked familiar.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The best way to support the hull for service and removing the floor:

The floor is a critical part of the boat's structure, especially for all Hydrostreams, and the hull must be completely supported both laterally and longitudinally. This isn't difficult, just make sure you have the hull supported inside the tunnels completely, as well as the bottom of the sponsons, and the pad itself, for the entire length of the hull's running surfaces. If the hull is not fully supported, you risk warping the hull if the floor is completely removed. That is more of a potential risk on V-bottom hulls than on tunnel hulls, however.

It is also my personal recommendation that the floor not be removed all at once and entirely. Replace the floor in large sections, so that there is always some lateral support within the hull during the process. Essentially, this means replacing the floor in three sections; the center section, stern, and uppermost bow area. That is just my personal recommendation.

As for measuring the hull, you would measure diagonally across angle points at the stern, then along the bottom from the trailing edge of the sponsons to measured points on the bottom, which you will mark. To do this, take a tape measure and mark fixed lengths from the bow eye, under the hull and to the trailing edge of the sponsons. I would not get alarmed if the measurements do not equalize since they almost never will, even when the hull was new. Your main concern is that the hull is not warped or twisted. No fiberglass hull will be perfect, though. Depending on the materials used, building process, and the manufacturer, most hulls will deform very slightly a short time after being removed from the molds. Focus the most on checking your running surfaces especially for hooks, rockers, or twists, which you cannot allow.

I was going to do a feature article on this in detail. I tend to be a bit excessive with this sort of thing so remember this is just my personal opinions.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronhl View Post
    Hey guys i know a lot of you have restored hydrostreams so thought i should ask a question here

I need to take my hydrostream virage off its trailer to replace the floor and possible core. How should i support the boat while its off the trailer? Like what area of the hull should be supported? And i will be taking the top off the boat as well. Also, where can i measurr to make sure the hull is level and plum

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrostreamvking4m View Post
    Any chance's for inside pics..Also I like it (ALOT) .
    Nice pic
    only pic i have of inside.....before we finished rigging.......ill get some next time we ride.

heres where mine sits........tore down motor yesterday.....getting 15" mid ready to go back on. flipped jackplate from 2.5" back to 5" bakc with 6* negative angle.

81' HYDROSTREAM VECTOR / slightly Modified 200
    before and after:http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...inished!/page3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    valero2.5.....nice collection you got there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texasvector View Post
    getting 15" mid ready to go back on.
    Cant wait to see it.
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks for the information. That makes a lot of sense and will look forward to your feature article. Won't be doing anything on my boat until the snow is gone.

The best way to support the hull for service and removing the floor:

The floor is a critical part of the boat's structure, especially for all Hydrostreams, and the hull must be completely supported both laterally and longitudinally. This isn't difficult, just make sure you have the hull supported inside the tunnels completely, as well as the bottom of the sponsons, and the pad itself, for the entire length of the hull's running surfaces. If the hull is not fully supported, you risk warping the hull if the floor is completely removed. That is more of a potential risk on V-bottom hulls than on tunnel hulls, however.

It is also my personal recommendation that the floor not be removed all at once and entirely. Replace the floor in large sections, so that there is always some lateral support within the hull during the process. Essentially, this means replacing the floor in three sections; the center section, stern, and uppermost bow area. That is just my personal recommendation.

As for measuring the hull, you would measure diagonally across angle points at the stern, then along the bottom from the trailing edge of the sponsons to measured points on the bottom, which you will mark. To do this, take a tape measure and mark fixed lengths from the bow eye, under the hull and to the trailing edge of the sponsons. I would not get alarmed if the measurements do not equalize since they almost never will, even when the hull was new. Your main concern is that the hull is not warped or twisted. No fiberglass hull will be perfect, though. Depending on the materials used, building process, and the manufacturer, most hulls will deform very slightly a short time after being removed from the molds. Focus the most on checking your running surfaces especially for hooks, rockers, or twists, which you cannot allow.

I was going to do a feature article on this in detail. I tend to be a bit excessive with this sort of thing so remember this is just my personal opinions.

Greg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am having trouble posting videos again. Must have forgot how to...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowMaxx View Post
    I am having trouble posting videos again. Must have forgot how to...
    you tube???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yep, post the embed code and it comes up blank. Post using the filmstrip and inserting the link and nothing comes up at all..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1981 Hydrostream Vandal W/ evinrude 16" gt150

Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast