Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Powerhead swap. Merc 1996 2.5 260, off...2013 200xs Opti, on...HELP PLEASE

Hi Guys. I want to take the powerhead off my 1996 2.5 260 EFI and put on a 2013 2.5 200xs Optimax powerhead.
    What exactly do I need?
    The new powerhead is fully dressed and includes PCM, flywheel covers and full wiring harness.
    From what I know, it will fit ok and will work really well. I think I will need an exhaust adaptor plate of some kind? Does anyone know of anyone that makes them or where I can buy one? Powerhead was previously on another 2.5 260 but with a 12inch mid. Guy who is selling is unsure if it still has the adaptor plates.
    Mine is a 20in offshore single ram mid with a 1.87 CLE 4 hole lower. Is this all compatible or will it need a different tuner? If so where can I buy one? Is there differences between a 2.5 200xs Opti tuner and a 260 efi tuner and would the tuner in a 12inch mid from the previous owner be different to the 20inch that I have. (sorry a bit raw on the technical parts of this project)
    Will the cowl I have fit or is the profile different and will need another cowl and pan?
    Does the Opti have all the fuel pumps fitted and no longer need the external pumps from the 260?
    Also one last question....I am presuming that the CLE lower I have would handle the swap just fine as it will actually be making a little less horsepower than what it currently has?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated as will comments about if this is worth doing or not.
    PS...it will be mounted on a Kevlar 600lb STV.
    If someone has personally done a similar powerhead swap I would love to hear from you.
    Thanks and merry Christmas.
    STV Owner, Merc 2.5 260

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no expert but I know use the tuner from the 200xs it is tiny but that motor needs it to get out of the ditch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want it to be as Mercury set them up then it's a different adapter plate and tuner. I think you want to set it up as Mercury did because the PCM fuel and ignition curves are set up for that adapter plate and tuner.
    Mercury still makes the parts. Order the adapter plate to a 200XS ROS it should come with the tuner. At least it did a couple of years ago.
    You are going to need an alien cowl set up as the 200XS powerhead will not fit under a 260 cowl. The plate in the bottom cowl is exclusive to the 200XS as it moves the cowl further back in relation to the powerhead to make room for the fuel/air rails and the compressor.
    Will need to change the mounting studs in the powerhead if it was on a 12" mid set up.
    The XS has the fuel pumps on the powerhead and you won't need the ones in the boat from the 260. Mercury recommends not using a water separator filter in the boat as the powerhead has one.
    The CLE lower works just fine on these. If you do get the correct exhaust adapter it will have a 1/2" water tube.
    Feel free to ask any specific questions. Be glad to help out. I've done a few of these exact builds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have a photo of a 200XS Opti adapter plate?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To use a 260 plate you will need to install a water supply and return. Easy to do and very necessary. The supply is tapped into the port side of the adapter as is the discharge. I would strongly suggest you obtain the barb with the "filter" to keep debris out of the system. I suppose water could be dumped somewhere other than where I did. I ran mine with this plate for 5 or 6 years with only issue being picking up small rocks and plugging small dump holes. Good luck.

Rock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 260 adapt.jpg   260adapt1.jpg  
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The opti xs runs a popet valve and thermostats. You will also need to add a popet valve barrier in the 260 style adapter as the engine will run cold and rich.
    Popey