Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebuilding Merc Trim Rams - How hard is it to do?

My 1992 Merc 200 2.5 has developed a leak in one of the outer trim rams (3 ram system). How hard is it to replace the seals? Is there a special tool to remove the seal or can I fab something up? Can I replace the seals while it's still on the transom?

Advice appreciated...Steve2ManyBoats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve2ManyBoats View Post
    My 1992 Merc 200 2.5 has developed a leak in one of the outer trim rams (3 ram system). How hard is it to replace the seals? Is there a special tool to remove the seal or can I fab something up? Can I replace the seals while it's still on the transom?

Advice appreciated...Steve2ManyBoats.
    Steve, I replaced the seals in mine a couple of months ago and worst part was breaking loose the circular caps the rams protrude through. Tried a pin spanner tool first to no avail. Carefully used a punch with a hammer to break them loose then used the pin spanner to spin them off then re-install them.

Tilted the motor fully upward and supported with a jack stand and block of wood.

My 1991 200 XRi used the 811612A3 O RING KIT (Mercury Marine), $60 shipped to my door. I only replaced the o rings for the trim rams on mine. No leaks since.

Mike B

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same as orbeamlb several years ago however I did not get the Merc kit, I went to a bearing and seal business and matched the seal which, if I recall correctly, was metric. The cost was less then $10 bucks, no problem since

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Thanks so much for the info, Seems like a pretty straightforward winter chore.

Steve2ManyBoats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when trying to loosen caps DO NOT HAVE TRIM PINS OUT ALL THE WAY. trim motor UP , support with trailing bracket or hoist, THEN suck trim pins down SLIGHTLY, now loosen caps as top of pistons SOMETIMES are in contact with bottom of caps making it VERY hard to turn caps.. if its a Yamaha I ALWAYS mark caps after assembly with paint because they always loosen. another prob with yamahas is some trim/tilt units are assembled to transom brackets with lower alum pin securing.this pin (1'x9" aprox) is held in with 2 metric bolt / flat washer ---1 each side.these factory bolts come without locktite. worked on MANY where this pin was falling out one side or other. cure ---locktight bolts -th
    Last edited by mn808gade; 12-21-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as I stated in earlier posts these orings/quad rings/seals/wipers/split backup rings are all avalible at good hyd. shops such as PARKER stores.-th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips about unloading pressure on the caps and sourcing seals. Much appreciated.

Steve2ManyBoats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this tool: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7463-Small...spanner+wrench

Also use a piece of PVC pipe on top of it and tilt the motor down onto the pvc pipe to hold the tool firmly onto the seal nut then break it free......
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice tip. I'll try that.

Steve2ManyBoats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Job done...wasn't that bad...

Didn't feel confident enough to get the individual bits from a cheaper source so I got the Merc kits for all three hydraulic cylinders from boats.net. Probably paid way more than I would have from a commercial supply house, but I wanted to make sure the job was done right the first time. Thought I'd have trouble getting the cylinder caps off and the tilt ram pin out since the motor is 14 years old and has been in salt water all it's life. However, everything came apart pretty easily. I flush it every trip and rinse it thoroughly so I guess that helped.

Several of the o rings were pretty flat and all the wipers were shot. Also, there were a few nicks in the trim rams so I cleaned those up with some 600 grit so they're nice and smooth. The job was actually pretty easy and easily done with the motor on the transom. Took a while to get all the air out of the system and get it topped off but seems to work fine now. Ran it up and down about 50 times and no leaks. Fingers crossed.

Whole job only took about 2 hours.

Thanks for the advice and guidance.

Steve2ManyBoats