Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chrysler question

I was always a Mercury guy but I was around when the Chryslers were running. At the time I never thought to ask about the cost of the Chrysler motors compared to the other manufactures stuff? I also now wonder about the Chrysler lower units durability compared to the SSM units?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chry. lu

Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    I was always a Mercury guy but I was around when the Chryslers were running. At the time I never thought to ask about the cost of the Chrysler motors compared to the other manufactures stuff? I also now wonder about the Chrysler lower units durability compared to the SSM units?
    am still running my orig. lu from 1969,still has orig. impeller,changed oil often,lost 1 gear set after hitting pole under water,have run numerous vintage events,orig. engines,boat,props& driver/owner/builder!!! 1937,E&TMarine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In South Florida I can recall a couple of competitive Chryslers. Bobby Soles ran a Scat Craft called " Prop Job" with 4 cyl Chryslers that was pretty good. I ran a couple of Bobby's props on my boats and I can vouch for his propeller work. Also before the 4 cyl Merc 800/850s came out there was a guy running a "CurtisCraft with a Chrysler who did very well in SG for a while.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bobbys props

Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    In South Florida I can recall a couple of competitive Chryslers. Bobby Soles ran a Scat Craft called " Prop Job" with 4 cyl Chryslers that was pretty good. I ran a couple of Bobby's props on my boats and I can vouch for his propeller work. Also before the 4 cyl Merc 800/850s came out there was a guy running a "CurtisCraft with a Chrysler who did very well in SG for a while.
    i also ran a 2 blade 15",stern lift @ 8500, 100 mph!!!,trim out,get air,trim in,on calm water, totaly airborne, would prop walk side ways,had to drop throttle,monterly,+7 lu,cheap thrill!!!!,now run 3 blade lake x,10x18,-7 lu.,7250,young to mid 90s!!

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever seen the prices on any OMC racers. Chrysler put their prices right in the regular price list. In 1968 the 105 racer was priced at $1525, a $200 premium over the pleasure version. At the same time, a 1000BP with a stock powerhead was advertised by Merc in a special flyer at $1875, $510 over a regular 1000. By 1975 the Chrysler 150 racer was just shy of $3000. In 1974 Merc priced the T2X at $3,300.

I've never seen a worn out Chrysler racing lower unit. The fat gears and non 1:1 ratio seems to make them bullet proof; kudos to Jack Oxley and Bob Kies that did the engineering on them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen the prices on any OMC racers. Chrysler put their prices right in the regular price list. In 1968 the 105 racer was priced at $1525, a $200 premium over the pleasure version. At the same time, a 1000BP with a stock powerhead was advertised by Merc in a special flyer at $1875, $510 over a regular 1000. By 1975 the Chrysler 150 racer was just shy of $3000. In 1974 Merc priced the T2X at $3,300.

I've never seen a worn out Chrysler racing lower unit. The fat gears and non 1:1 ratio seems to make them bullet proof; kudos to Jack Oxley and Bob Kies that did the engineering on them.
    and easy to work on,seals & shims are the only prob. to locate !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I can tell you in the UK in 197O OMC did sell 2 V4 ON class customer race engines I bought a Johnson and Tom Percival bought a Evinrude they cost £1250 pounds each they came with no power trim and ran a lower compression ratio than the factory units 'but I never saw one in a price list anywhere. In 1977 I knew a driver that paid £5000 for a Evinrude CCC race engine off OMC.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post
    I can tell you in the UK in 197O OMC did sell 2 V4 ON class customer race engines I bought a Johnson and Tom Percival bought a Evinrude they cost £1250 pounds each they came with no power trim and ran a lower compression ratio than the factory units 'but I never saw one in a price list anywhere. In 1977 I knew a driver that paid £5000 for a Evinrude CCC race engine off OMC.
    Now all we have to do is determine the exchange rate and shipping costs that particular month

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)