Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 Laser bass boat conversion to flats boat

Hello! I have a 1989 18' Laser Bass boat and I love the boat. I primarily use it to fish inshore and back waters down here in southwest Florida. I've had her out in a pretty good chop and she ran like a dream! I am thinking about taking off the cap and redoing anything inside the boat that needs redone and then building a new cap on it to convert it to a flats boat! I work for a custom marine shop and we do everything, so the costs involved would be on the cheap side since I'll get everything at cost. I am just wondering what anyone thinks about this. I know it's taboo to put a bass boat in saltwater and I get plenty of strange looks at the ramp, but then the looks on those same people's faces when I fly by them is priceless. i plan on redoing everything and putting a small cockpit with a small center console in it. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

thanks!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always heard that argument down here on the Texas coast as well. "You can't run that Skeeter bass boat here in Galveston Bay"! To which I would show them that I could go anywhere they could all over the Bay..in any rough water....and get back into the skinny flats that their nice v-hulls couldn't go. Trick is to see what kind of draft you have, get rid of that fresh water trolling motor(if it has one), and go over your wiring to make sure that it can handle the change to the corrosive atmosphere in the salt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ya, I probably get the hardest ribbing from my buddies at work, but it's all in good fun! My buddy that I fish with all the time was skeptical at first, but one he went out with me he was a believer! I've already gotten a bigger saltwater trolling motor although I did run the freshwater one I had for a while. After having done a few repairs to various trolling motors, I can say that I can not tell you ANY difference between the salt and freshwater versions! Except for on the minn kotas, they have a zinc prop nut. The wiring is identical and the motors are all seeled the same. I am planning on replacing all the wiring and changing it to tinned copper wire while I have the cap off and am building the new cap. The cap really won't be all that different with the main exception being the addition of a small cockpit with a center console. I will probably change the location of the gas tank also so that it doesn't throw the bow way up in the air when you take off. It's going to be a trial and error kind of deal with this boat and seeing as though I bought it for real cheap it's not like I'm going to be out a bunch of money if it doesn't work out. I am also considering beefing up the transom a bit with the thought of adding more power down the road. I think this is going to be a fun project and I will learn a lot doing it. The bonus for me is that we all have boats so I won't really be without a boat since I can still get out on the water and fish. I can't wait to see people's faces when I get it done and put her in a tournament! It's gonna be great.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have pictures? I have often contemplated doing something similar.

Not sure you would have to build a new cap though? Maybe just modify the current one?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...89LaserBass, when I referred to the trolling motor change out I was referring to getting rid of that foot pedal crap that those bass fishing guys use! I use an iPilot here and will NEVER go back to anything I have to keep messing with to keep on a drift or work a shoreline. Shoot, just this past weekend a friend threw my anchor over the bow and she went deep. Used the iPilot on anchor mode and said "Anchor...We don't need no e'stinking anchors!"
    Post up a pic of the top cap and the set up you have now....before the mods and I might be able to give you some "tips and tricks" before you pull the cap off. Just a suggestion of course!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipitina View Post
    Have pictures? I have often contemplated doing something similar.
    Not sure you would have to build a new cap though? Maybe just modify the current one?
    ...the friend I bought this old '83 Contender tunnel hull was going to do the same thing...and tried to talk me into it. Pull the top cap off and deck the front end and then add a center console like they have on the SCB boats. Granted, it will float in six or seven inches of water and jacked up get out of 12". But I just couldn't see ruining a old race boat like this to go fishing in the same places that I can go with my 22' Skeeter tunnel boat. If the OP is doing it on the cheap and want's to use a good hull top down I could see it.

Hey "Tipitina", where in Texas you close to if I might ask?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it the tunnel LTV or the v bottom
    1982 reaction 2.5 merc
    1989 laser LTV (the project)

I said I was done with fiberglass.. no more glass........yeah right got another project

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston340 View Post
    ...the friend I bought this old '83 Contender tunnel hull was going to do the same thing...and tried to talk me into it. Pull the top cap off and deck the front end and then add a center console like they have on the SCB boats. Granted, it will float in six or seven inches of water and jacked up get out of 12". But I just couldn't see ruining a old race boat like this to go fishing in the same places that I can go with my 22' Skeeter tunnel boat. If the OP is doing it on the cheap and want's to use a good hull top down I could see it.

Hey "Tipitina", where in Texas you close to if I might ask?
    No problem, I'm in Central Texas area. Yourself? Do you have a thread with the contender you're working on? What size is it? I'm getting extremely close to redoing a scarab sport and highly considering cutting out the cuddy. Was planning to chronicle the build on one of the other forums, but may add it here as well.

Tip